SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   How is everyone in the Secular Connections forum doing this year? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/382683-how-everyone-secular-connections-forum-doing-year.html)

jazzfish 01-10-2016 06:16 AM

How is everyone in the Secular Connections forum doing this year?

Simply because of the general approach we take, the secular connections forum can seem a bit quiet at times. That doesn't mean we aren't checking in and staying sober, though. So...how is everyone doing so far this year?

I am still sober and doing well. Sobriety has really given a lot back to me, especially the gifts of time and potential. My biggest problem is figuring out how to prioritize my interests and allocate time to them. Things that maintain my mental and physical health must take priority, but I have a strong desire to be productive first. However, if I let my physical and mental health slip, the productivity drops, and then my AV starts sneaking back into my thoughts. Still, I'd rather be worrying about how I can be most productive than whether I can make it to work without vomiting.

I hope everyone is doing well!

jaynie04 01-10-2016 06:43 AM

Hi Jazz!

Things are great here. Just passed 2 1/2 years and yes, I struggle with similar issues in regards to productivity and time allocation. In some ways I still feel like I am making up for lost time, those last years spent drinking when I didn't do much but the barest essentials and drink. I have completed some big projects but I still struggle with balance especially the all/none approach I have towards exercise.

I check in here frequently but haven't posted much, but I love to hear about my buddies and how well they are doing.

I think the most important message I would want to impart to someone who is newly sober is to be willing to be uncomfortable and try anything and to take advantage of the multitude of approaches that SR is wonderful enough to share daily.

Thanks so much for the thread Jazz and Happy New Year!

Fluffer 01-10-2016 08:20 AM

Great idea for a thread, Jazzfish. At over one year I feel good although I am also having some issues with allocating my time and energy these days. Physically I feel healthy and have good exercise and have been toning up. Mentally I feel well enough but do experience some flatness in life these days - no more alcohol induced highs and lows, which to be honest I miss these days. Work has been stressful of late and I have issues with spending time on family/myself/work. Such is life on life's terms I guess! Onward and upward!

JeffreyAK 01-10-2016 08:36 AM

Passed the 5 year mark in December, haven't felt triggered in years! Drinking again is about the farthest thing from my mind, almost as unthinkable as snorting coke or dropping acid, things I haven't done in 35 years. Keeping busy with two jobs and multiple hobbies and feeling great! :)

beautifulpines 01-10-2016 09:39 AM

I pray that I can write your post someday!!!!

dwtbd 01-10-2016 11:52 AM

Great to hear from you Jazz and awesome to hear all is well!
I'll be three years this summer and am at a point when I forget I'm "sober", I'm like a transdict, it's as if my inner teetotaler has emerged and I didn't even need hormone therapy :)
Tomorrow I will probably tackle my procrastination , so there's still that , still.. Onward ! Upward!

LBrain 01-10-2016 12:37 PM

I entered the new year with 2 years of sobriety. Looking to improve my status as a working adult this year.

btw - MesaMan has reached 2 years today.

dwtbd 01-10-2016 12:53 PM

Congrats to MesaMan , 2 yrs + a lil bit for being a 'mesa man' thanks to albert and time dilation :)

tursiops999 01-10-2016 02:02 PM

Hello all, and thanks for this thread, Jazzfish. I'm new to Secular Connections but not new to sobriety (>16 months). I've recently been spending a lot of time reading old threads in this section, as I'm disengaging from AA and committing myself to a non-12-step approach.

I feel really good and happy to have found such a wealth of good info and experience regarding AVRT. I have a fledgling daily mindfulness meditation practice going. That, along with daily exercise and journaling my gratitude, form the basis of my "plan" for enjoying life and making the most of it, now that I'm a non-drinker.

I may start my own thread to kind of journal how that is going for me. But I wanted to join in here just to say hello, and thanks to all of your for your past posts, from which I am benefitting greatly. :)

zerothehero 01-10-2016 04:17 PM

I also entered the year two years sober. I attended an AA meeting (maybe my seventh in two years) because I kind of wanted a two-year chip (if they exist; I got a one year chip). Not only did they not have a chip for me, but I was again kind of turned off by AA. I could use some community, but I just can't hang with the AA perspective. No reason to get into it...

But I'm doing well. Working the MBSR and working with related practices to stay grounded and continue my spiritual nontheistic growth. I'm doing a weekend Shambhala retreat in a couple of weeks, as well. Just feeling more content and grounded than I have since long before getting sober.

Good to hear others are making progress, as well.

Soberpotamus 01-10-2016 04:23 PM

I'll have three years in April. Doing well!

About to have jaw surgery Tuesday morning.

Shifting gears from blogging/copywriting to proofreading over the next few months as well.

We have our house up for sale finally. It's not ready, but we're working on that!

Lots of changes for me over the past couple of years, as well as upcoming changes. :)

leviathan 01-10-2016 09:50 PM

Good hear too. Soon to be two years sober in Feb.
My sobriety was the necessary foundation for me becoming who I should be. Trying to perform the overhaul while avoiding becoming a wing-nut. LOL!

Now that all the holiday jive is over, I'm reducing the sugar intake (talk about your AV!!) and designing an exercise plan. Instead of going gung-ho and then burning out (previous pattern), I'm striving for effectiveness, reasonability, and sustainability.

Hope everyone is well. I don't often post here, as the secular section moves a little slow. I do read often though.

Dee74 01-10-2016 10:06 PM

good to hear from you Jazzfish :)

D

PurpleKnight 01-11-2016 02:01 PM

All going well here Jazzfish!! :)

Cascabel 01-11-2016 05:06 PM

I'm doing just fine. Had a minor fail late last year but otherwise I'm about two years sober now. Wishing the best for all of the secular bunch and happy New Year to you.

brynn 01-11-2016 06:10 PM

Good to see you, jazz!

I'm in a place today that I never dreamed possible a year ago and I owe it all to a single decision I made in December 2014. Of course, that decision was to quit drinking forever but I was only able to make that decision after finding my way to SR and the Secular Forum. I finally heard the message that I didn't have to fix all the crud in my life in order to get sober! I could get sober and THEN a lot of the crud in my life would naturally work itself out! Brilliant! A big thanks to everyone who contributes to this outstanding little corner of SR! :hug:

This year I've been able to reclaim my life in all sorts of ways...both big and small. Sometimes I think it's the little things that make the biggest mental impact. Stuff like going to the dentist regularly, taking car of the car, doing laundry regularly, just doing the basics and taking care of yourself. I neglected SO much when I was drinking, including my health, finances, relationships, etc...

The big changes this year....I quit a job I couldn't stand and I ended a long term relationship with an alcoholic/addict that was bringing me nothing but grief. I took big steps to take car of myself. Something I hadn't done in a very long time and it was really empowering!

Quitting has had a snowball effect in that the very act of CHOOSING to quit drinking has given me the confidence I needed to enact other positive changes in my life. It's given me momentum and a life I honestly had stopped hoping for.

It's good to see everyone checking in! :)

Happy New Year!
Xo

freshstart57 01-11-2016 07:18 PM

And here's Brynn sounding like one self-empowered self-discovered badass in-charge type person! Awesome!

What you say is so true for me too. I am four and a half years sober, I quit smoking a year and a half ago, and now I am going after my fitness. I got my obstructive sleep apnea diagnosed this summer and it is being treated with great results. Mood is better, energy level is better, diet is better, exercise and motivation are way up, and weight is way down.

I am looking forward to a great year in 2016, and wish all who are searching and those who have found their answer a healthy and peaceful new year.

MythOfSisyphus 01-11-2016 10:41 PM

I'm as busy as a one-armed paper hanger but aside from that things are good.:lmao

Thumpalumpacus 01-11-2016 10:53 PM

10 days in, not enjoying how my emotions are running away with me at times, but I'm learning coping skills, and have realized that I can indeed do this.

Wishing everyone here a happy, bountiful, and sober year ahead.

jazzfish 01-12-2016 06:34 AM

Wow! Great to wake up and see all these great updates! Thanks everyone!