It Finally Clicked - for Good

Old 08-28-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

It Finally Clicked - for Good

After being sober for 6 months, I reread the RR site and the crash course and it clicked - for good. To avoid ever having to face another Day 1 you simply say:

"I will never drink alcohol again, and I will never change my mind."

No more having to make that decision - it's done. It's so freeing too not to have to make a daily decision. No matter what happens.

CF
Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Calicofish, this post of yours has just brought the biggest smile to my face today. It is likely to be the best news I could hear all day. This is a huge achievement for you. You have just performed a death defying act. This makes you a bona fide badass.

Awesome. Well done. Congratulations! You are free! Onward!

No recovery process, no daily reprieve, no relapse, and no fear.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love that quote, also, Calico.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic Calico!!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

Congratulations Calico! You badass you
Old 08-28-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Well thanks everyone. It was not the first time I read RR or the 2nd, or 3rd (I even bought the book) that made the light bulb moment for me, but rather it was reading the many relapse and day 1 stories on SR. The same thing is repeated over and over..."how do I stop - I keep relapsing".

I don't worry about a good day or a bad day being triggers because I do not drink. Period. Life is full of triggers and if I try to plan for every one of them I will trip up, so instead of planning some elaborate escape route, it's so much simpler to just never drink and never change my mind.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Well thanks everyone. It was not the first time I read RR or the 2nd, or 3rd (I even bought the book) that made the light bulb moment for me, but rather it was reading the many relapse and day 1 stories on SR. The same thing is repeated over and over..."how do I stop - I keep relapsing".

I don't worry about a good day or a bad day being triggers because I do not drink. Period. Life is full of triggers and if I try to plan for every one of them I will trip up, so instead of planning some elaborate escape route, it's so much simpler to just never drink and never change my mind.
Other methods require people to continually distract themselves to avoid drinking. It is impossible and makes people anxious and off balance.

One day at a time methods suffer from the weakness that tomorrow becomes a viable drinking opportunity.

HALT fails because every human will become all four several times a day.

The misery and wasted effort frustrates and disappoints me - so many people suffering so needlessly. Someone today was blaming alcohol itself as having murderous intent.

Congratulations.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Its good when things click congrats calicofish
Old 08-28-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"I will never drink alcohol again, and I will never change my mind."

Good going Calicofish...
Old 08-28-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bitchen Breakthrough, Calicofish!

A lil Theme Music, Maestro...

- ' Bad To The Bone' ~ George Thorogood & The Destroyers - Live - |
Old 08-29-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Calicofish

Old 08-29-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Mesa Man - My memory of Bad to the Bone at a bridal shower, way back in the early 90s and the stripper used that music. :-) I also remember I had an epic hangover. Glad those days are behind me.

CF
Old 08-31-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Amen to that CalicoFish
Old 09-01-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post

Yes, yes indeed.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done, Calicofish.

You have added to my understanding of AVRT.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm feeling really low right now. Recently I have been following the AVRT Big Plan. After sharing this with an friend in AA, they have become quite angry with me and claim that now I am in denial and the Beast is Alcohol not me. Still early in my recovery. Just feeling so very low. But I don't drink anymore.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((Elizabeth))) your recovery is your own and it's not up to anyone else to criticize what path you take. Your AA friend should have given you a huge hug for being sober....after all, that's the goal of both AA and AVRT.

You keep doing what works for you! The AVRT concept is new to a lot of people so it naturally meets some resistance because it flies in the face of most traditional programs. But dont let that deter you! You've got the support of everyone in this forum and you are doing great!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you Brynn - your support and this forum's support mean so very much to me!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stay vigorously clear of People and situations that don't foster and enhance your Sobriety. It sounds as if you know one, Elizabeth. They are Boat Anchors to your successful, continued Sobriety.

'The same People that you meet on your way up, you gonna meet up... On your way down' ~ Little Feat
Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would have a different approach than Mesa man. Developing ways in living sober where we don't depend on others to enhance us is probably the most important part of my recovery. Yes we have emotional responses to others, we possibly see their own prejudice and imagine their close mindedness will bring us down, But if we respond with an avoidance tactic then to ourselves we are not taking control, and in many cases closing off from others with the same thing we imagine they are doing to us.

I am a big fan that long term recovery in many ways is about mindfully dealing with your own stuff and having strategies that minimize fear based avoidance, This is far from a perfect black and white solution but thats what can make things interesting and eventually life can more rich and robust,
Relationships may not end up being practical if you differ in your ideas to another in a polarized way especially if what joins you to that person is your recovery journey, but it is very possible to minimize your fear of them or the idea that their presence somehow toxic.