Craft

Old 08-19-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craft

Am I in the right place to find out about craft?
I very recently joined this forum and have been chatting to people in the friends and family section. It seems people are intent on advising me to leave my AH which I desperately don't want to do. When I read a bit about craft it seemed much more suited to my family than the aa/alanon approach.
Can anyone tell me how it works?
Old 08-19-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a great section to read through Nyinabo. Many people are turned off for various reasons to AA. Many people take pieces of various programs to cobble a strong personal recovery. You do not have to be 100% in any particular program.

The Friends and Family CRAFT section is here. They have a chapter discussion thread there if I recall on one of the primary CRAFT books.:

Secular Connections for Friends and Family - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, codejob. I've also just read about avrt. To be honest I like aspects of all 3 programs (aa, craft, avrt) and I want to know if there are statistics for which is the most effective in the long term. I'm finding different opinions on the internet, surprise surprise!
Old 08-19-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just discovered craft yesterday and ordered the book Beyond Addiction. There is a good post on the link the lady just gave you, and it was recommended at this site Partnership Drug Free. I downloaded it and started reading, got through two chapters and didnt want to put it down. It feels positive and Im excited to continue.

Ive never heard of avrt. what is it?

I know my fiance wont go for AA. I have doubts about it too I keep reading lots of discussion it doesnt work good for most people.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by JessicaLives View Post
Ive never heard of avrt. what is it?
AVRT is Addictive Voice Recognition Technique which came out of the Rational Recovery approach to dealing with addictions. It is explained far better than I can in this stickied post: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 08-20-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

which is the most effective in the long term. I'm finding different opinions
it doesnt work good for most people.

what's effective and what works seems not so much about the method but about the work the person puts into it.