SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Seeking other Sober Satanists (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/370302-seeking-other-sober-satanists.html)

BattyGoat 06-24-2015 06:13 AM

Seeking other Sober Satanists

Hello. I am looking to connect with anyone else out there who in any way uses Satanism in defeating their addictions. So far Ive found very few and was not able to contact any of them directly.:

PurpleKnight 06-24-2015 11:29 AM

Welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

Not sure if we have any, but this is the place to find them if we do!! I just wanted to say hello!! :)

brynn 06-24-2015 12:13 PM

I just wanted to welcome you! I'm sure others who know more about this will be along shortly.

BattyGoat 06-24-2015 12:46 PM

Thank you both, and I appreciate your understanding.

PurpleKnight 06-24-2015 12:52 PM

I personally don't involve any faith in my recovery, I grew up in an Irish Catholic family, but stopped practicing a long time ago, dabbled with other faiths a bit but now am pretty agnostic on the whole thing.

For me my recovery has come down to a change of mindset, some radical decisions and actions, an acceptance on the reality of things and plenty of support thrown into the equation.

Though I'm always curious on new perspectives, there was a guy not so long ago who posted as a Freemason, and that I found quite interesting!!

How does your beliefs fit into your recovery? are you Sober long?

FeenixxRising 06-24-2015 01:46 PM

Welcome Batty. There may be a few members who use Satan, but I suspect more members probably have Pagan or Wiccan beliefs; although, I've never associated either spiritual tradition with Satanism as it's defined by Judeo-Christian beliefs.

Carlotta 06-24-2015 04:28 PM

Not a satanist here but wanted to welcome you to SR.
I found that article which might interest you
Sobriety Through Satanism | VICE | United States

Dee74 06-24-2015 04:33 PM

Welcome :)

If this is appropriate to your beliefs

Satanists are atheists. We see the universe as being indifferent to us, and so all morals and values are subjective human constructions. Our position is to be self-centered, with ourselves being the most important person (the “God”) of our subjective universe, so we are sometimes said to worship ourselves.
Rational Recovery may be of interest to you. There are many threads here on RR and its AVRT technique.

D

BattyGoat 06-24-2015 08:41 PM

Yes

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5437872)
Welcome :)

If this is appropriate to your beliefs

Rational Recovery may be of interest to you. There are many threads here on RR and its AVRT technique.

D

I am an atheistic Satanist, yes, and I believe when truly conceived of, all true Satanism must be atheistic, simply because of the fact that in Satanism it is the desires of the individual that take precedence over all else, so that cancels out the possibility of a "higher power", how could Satan possibly be a "higher" power if such power answers to me? Whose higher, me or Satan? Ends up being that if one is self-willed and self-indulgent, then that person has no higher power.

Dee74 06-24-2015 09:10 PM

you should definitely check RR out :)

D

Fluffer 06-24-2015 09:38 PM

Hi Batty,

Interesting thread you don't see every day. I'm going to go out on a limb and show my ignorance, but I was under the impression that Satanists worship Satan, who in the Bible was a sort of renegade angel who became a rival and enemy of God. While I understand the philosophy of Satanism is a radical selfishness, I thought that Satan was still the supernatural "top dog" to be worshipped like Christians worship God. And if not from the Bible, where do Satan's teachings come from? I'm interested in your take on all this.

Maybe I just listened to too much Black Sabbath in my day - who it turns out were actually Christians opposed to Satan. Their adoption of upside down crosses and similar dark imagery was actually foisted upon them by their record producer who thought it would sell records. And it did!

Gottalife 06-25-2015 02:14 AM

Earlier this year, in one of the towns I stayed in for a while, I got to work with a gang leader whose drinking and drugging years had included practicing satanism and necromancing. From some of the earlier definitions, these practices would appear to be well suited to a career criminal/psychopath, especally if he also happened to be a self centred alcoholic addict.

The last time i saw him he was about to celebrate two years clean and sober. He was actively exploring a relationship with his understanding of a higher power, but a lifetime of satanism had left him with even less than the usual basic knowledge of religious or spiritual concepts. He related quite well to the Gnostics.

The one thing you could say about this guy today is that he is far from self centred, in fact one of the most generous and dedicated AAs I have ever met. He has a great talent for leadership and helps many on the fringes of society.

Obviously, he believe his old ways will not be much help in sobriety.

BattyGoat 06-25-2015 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fluffer (Post 5438153)
Hi Batty,

Interesting thread you don't see every day. I'm going to go out on a limb and show my ignorance, but I was under the impression that Satanists worship Satan, who in the Bible was a sort of renegade angel who became a rival and enemy of God. While I understand the philosophy of Satanism is a radical selfishness, I thought that Satan was still the supernatural "top dog" to be worshipped like Christians worship God. And if not from the Bible, where do Satan's teachings come from? I'm interested in your take on all this.

Maybe I just listened to too much Black Sabbath in my day - who it turns out were actually Christians opposed to Satan. Their adoption of upside down crosses and similar dark imagery was actually foisted upon them by their record producer who thought it would sell records. And it did!

It is completely opposed to Christian philosophy, and I mean complete to the point where it takes none of its teachings from the bible. The bible says this world of the flesh is merely some sort of test to determine where we end up in the afterlife. Satanists, on the other hand, believe this physical universe is everything, and that one can not possibly think or perceive anything without a physical brain with which to do so, hence there is no afterlife in Satanism, no devils, no hell, no heaven, no souls, and nobody there to buy a soul anyway.

dwtbd 06-25-2015 02:14 PM

Welcome to the forum BG
Sounds like Satanists would advocate for abstinence for those that find themselves in a state of addiction. If we only get to ride this rock for one go , the best way to selfishly enjoy a fulfilling time of it would preclude actions that damage our ability to do so. Sounds like I could be satanistish :)

MythOfSisyphus 06-26-2015 02:09 AM

Regardless of the labels you choose I think AVRT would be a good option for you. I'm an atheist so early on when I decided to stop drinking I was hesitant to do AA. For the record, I think AA is great if that's your thing. At any rate I stumbled upon AVRT and it really 'clicked' for me. It and SR have helped me to stay sober for over two and a half years now.

davaidavai 07-14-2015 10:07 PM

I wonder if puritans are more than usually susceptible to booze because we must remain pure, therefore, a binge of some kind is unavoidable. Lucifer as the promethean counter balance to Christ, might be some sort of civilizational counter balance helping to drive the edifice forward. What do demons do if not goad and chase?

Yesterday, as I lay in bed early in the morning watching Penny Dreadful, I couldn't help but think that our gods and our demons are living metaphors for a species trying to pull itself out of adolescence and accept, see, recognize itself.

Satan, the fallen angel, the id raging at the super ego, the super ego, the old hypocrite, suppressing the id.

Maybe we drink because we are afraid of being Prometheus and getting our livers pecked out, so we do the job chemically.

So, not a Satanist, but interested to hear more about your experience.

BobArctor 07-15-2015 12:28 PM

I wouldn't call myself a santaist. But, I suppose he's likeable.

A lot of Santaists do meet fairly often, as seen here:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...74_634x837.jpg

I'm not sure how many are in recovery.

There is a theory that he is supposed to be shaman because of the red and white clothes. And shaman's supposedly would drink reindeer urine after the reindeer ate mushrooms to have a psychoactive effect. That was a theory explaining the flying reindeer.

The cacophony society was the first I remember to organize a gathering.

Ananda 07-18-2015 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BattyGoat (Post 5437062)
Hello. I am looking to connect with anyone else out there who in any way uses Satanism in defeating their addictions. So far Ive found very few and was not able to contact any of them directly.:

I want to respond to your question. The simple (direct) response is you may not find that here, or you may, but I'm not using Satanism that I know of.

That said, I'm going to read between the lines (which I have been criticized for this week! LOL) Because I think there may be a deeper issue you face that many of us do, and that I do have some experience with. So I'm going to express my opinion, unasked for. You can simply ignore it if it isn't helpful :)

I have searched long and hard for 30 years for someone who has the exact same belief system that I have .... never found it. If I am relying on someone to absolutely agree with me or even only partially say the same things I say to find help...I'm pretty much doomed (got that after about 10 years of looking lol)

I believe we have to look beyond the surface words. We all express our beliefs differently. Usually the human experience that we go through is very basically similar but never exactly the same.

I have been helped in my sobriety by people in AA, RR, SR, and lots of other acronyms. I honestly still twist a bit in the AVRT voice thing (but that is due to my person issues..not that it isn't a good program). I currently practice a "non-program" recovery.

I have to listen from the heart to what is being said from the heart about experiences. I have to set aside that we have different belief systems and instead focus on what people are trying to express and translate it into my own way of expressing the same experience.

This may sound a bit weird, but the bottom line is that I am probably and agnostic Buddhist, but people who do AA, Christianity, Hindu religions, islam, Ratioanl recovery, Sober recovery only, etc..... If I listen from the heart (which I can't always) ... I hear the same pain and the same struggle. The words used to describe the experience and solution may strike me as soooooo wrong.... but if I dig a little deeper and "translate" ... there is a lot to learn from all of them :)

I still feel outside the norm most of the time and I struggle with being "different" in my beliefs and how I do my sobriety and life, but the connection is there if I listen with my heart instead of my opinions, beliefs and cultural background etc.

Hope that will help you to see ways to find help from others you may not see as being like you :grouphug:

PurpleKnight 07-25-2015 01:58 PM

So what's the difference between an Atheist and a Satanist then?

The physical universe and that's it is the same in atheism, we live, we die, and that's that, the here and now in this universe is everything.

I'm struggling to see how a belief in nothing can be used to defeat addiction?

As I mentioned earlier I believe/practice very little when it comes to faith, and so attribute none of my Sobriety to any of that lack of faith/atheism etc.

Fluffer 07-25-2015 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Purpleknight (Post 5481998)
So what's the difference between an Atheist and a Satanist then?

I think the difference is that atheistic Satanists believe in worshipping themselves and doing whatever they want while atheists may run the gamut from self-centered nihilists to the highly ethical and socially-minded, just without God.