Definition of evil

Old 03-11-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Roflmao

How would society function under the above?

I rob you and beat you to a pulp and you wouldn't want me to face any consequences or punishment?

Since it would be evil to cast any judgement upon my acts?

since this paragraph posits the definition of evil is to assert wrong Or right.

It's a nice sentiment, I guess, but terribly impractical for those who aren't 6ft3" and 250lbs

It would supremely define "survival of the fittest"
I don't think that is what the author intended. Punching someone or hurting them is a physical act and has real world consequences. I took it to mean that taking something from the construct of our mind and believing that everyone else should adhere to that construct or they should pay for their "error" in a real world way.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah I pretty much figured it was out of context silentrun.

Possibly a statement concerning some religions take on sexuality or something like that?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Yeah I pretty much figured it was out of context silentrun.

Possibly a statement concerning some religions take on sexuality or something like that?
Packers vs Vikings
Old 03-12-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Redmayne

My view...

Gathered from both my personal and professional experiences, evil exists, often misguidedly, in the mind of the perpetrator, evidenced in their actions and behaviour.

When they and it offer something of no intrinsic value that benefits both them and another, whether an individual or the wider community at the same time.

Undertaken for purely personal, selfish reasons it benefits neither them of the recipient and is a delusion, presumably by way of state of mind, to think otherwise.

In criminal law, the term 'mens rea' is used, which means 'a guilty or blameable state of mind.' Which must be attached to most allegations of criminal conduct.

I think Edmund Burke got it right when he said that,'All it takes for evil to prevail, is for a few good men to stand by and do nothing.'
Old 03-12-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I read somewhere that it was punishable by death to be obese in some west african country. Sounds reasonable from a limited-resource perspective.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

And Hawks, 3D printers have really changed the game in reference to the David vs. Goliath scenario. You can print a bullet-firing-device in minutes. Don't be a victim!
Old 03-12-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
I read somewhere that it was punishable by death to be obese in some west african country. Sounds reasonable from a limited-resource perspective.
One the surface that seems very practical. I think if you go deeper there is a missed opportunity to find out how someone could pull off obesity under those circumstances. I would follow the fat guy and try to find out where his stash is. If you go deeper still and it would be a great spot for a summer fat camp for rich Americans.

I'm sorry you were bullied Hawks. As you work through it just remember hurting people hurt.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Do No Harm

Patient holding up his Arm while complaining at his Doctor's Office: 'Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do that'

Doctor's response: 'So, don't do that!'

This old Henny Youngman Joke puts forth my POV on this practice in the OP, and judiciously avoiding it:

'The root of evil is becoming so locked into your own personal beliefs about reality that you start seeing it as reality.'

As I mention above in Post #5, Int'l experience and a commitment to Free Thinking/Examination keeps me generally detached from the delusion that my personal beliefs represent Objective Reality for all. From this follows the obvious: it's unthinkable to deploy a Weapon to assert my sense of Social Right & Wrong. It's solely for Life/Death/Injury situations. I don't wring my Hands over such thought-through Scenarios. Assuming a Weapon is deployed casually is laughable fantasy assigned to me above in a classic case of 'Projection 101'. Along with the Cardinal Sin [to some] of taking my Inventory. And, rather erroneously, to boot...

If you've never had a well-fed Mountain Lion stroll by your Kitchen Window, or had a Bear bust though a Triple Pane Window and raid your Fridge, then you've never dealt with situations where the option of lethal force is appropriate. Pepper Spray is a joke. Commenting on such situations without experience is as misplaced as me commenting on Childbirth. So, I don't do that. I leave that to Women having direct experience.

Anattaboy, and others, touch on the core of this Discussion, IMO: the Cultural Context intrinsic to defining Evil.

In a long BBC bit some months ago, African Wives bemoaned the 'deficiencies' of their Husbands who did not beat them. Beating is seen as a form of 'caring', and exerting Marital control; 'advantageous' to the larger Community. Men who don't engage in this practice were seen as 'Wussies', and not respected in the Community. I don't shake my Head at much, but I did when first hearing this. Cultural context matters.

Some Koreans raise Dogs for 'slaughter on demand' as Restaurant Cuisine. Abhorrent to this Dog Lover. Japanese lie to the International Community, and slaughter Whales under the guise of 'Scientific Research' with the actual goal of harvesting them for their Tables. They consider Whales their 'Feedlot Cattle', as a good Techie Pal there once explained to me.

I recall visiting an Anasazi Museum Decades ago here in the Southwest. Skeletons indicated some had Noses cut off. So, a few walked around with this highly-visible mutilation of a 'Piggy Nose'. Not to mention that the Dust Filtering function of Nasal Cilia was gone; not a good thing in arid Desert. This was punishment for Adultery in this pre-Christian Community. Another area showed Skeletons in a sealed-up Adobe Brick 'Kiva'. For Crimes deserving Death, live Persons were walled in to starve over time. This is thought to have kept Scofflaws in line, with the Adultery mutilations perhaps reducing Inbreeding consequences outside approved Marriages with non-Relatives. Fussing over the weak, while expending valuable Resources, was itself a Life/Death matter in a Drought-stricken Community. Avoid when possible by severe Social Sanctions. Cull the Herd.

Having been married Decades ago in a Buddhist Temple, we observe daily the simplest Moral derivation we know of: 'Do No Harm'.

-----
Old 03-12-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
And Hawks, 3D printers have really changed the game in reference to the David vs. Goliath scenario. You can print a bullet-firing-device in minutes. Don't be a victim!
Yeah I've noticed the American males pre-occupation with feeling safe and protected at all times.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hmm buddies wearing the wrong colours (Aussie in joke)
Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

He was wearing the right colours then.

He was Lance "Buddy" Franklin in that jumper.

Now known as Lance "Money" Franklin