Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6

Old 11-19-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
As Algorithm mentioned earlier , the AV is reading too, even more carefully identifying loopholes and trying to either convince that the idea as a whole is untenable, or to sow seeds of doubt.
Adopting a BP pulls the string taunt and closes all loopholes. Making a BP happens even in the presence of AV. It seems counterintuitive, but if the AV had no influence what would be the need or utility of a BP,yeah? Any doubt that a BP can 'work' is by definition AV. I don't think that the presence (feeling) the AV is something that can be ignored or that it is ' supposed' to be nonexistent when making a Big Plan to ensure it 'sticking' , but I do understand that separation from It is possible. For me that was the leap of faith I needed to take, excepting the idea that I could make a BP in spite of the presence of doubt, and as counterintuitive as it 'feels' , I don't see how it occurs otherwise.
Yes, I see what you mean. I don't think anyone could make a BP without the doubting presence of the AV. As you say, if there were no doubt, there'd be no need for any of it. I get it!

So I guess it keeps coming back to not fighting the AV, or banishing it, but acknowledging it and dissociating from it.

So much is clicking with me now. The only way I can describe it is as a quiet confidence at my core. I was about to add: "I hope it lasts". But we know where that came from.....

Thanks for your insights. Incredibly helpful
Old 11-19-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
quat

That quiet confidence gets louder
Old 12-12-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

i have just spent a large but incredibly constructive amount of time reading the thread dating back to 2011 and would like to thank each and every person that contributed.

I am totally sold and this is the approach that I was hoping to find when I joined the forum.

Countles failed attempts had me almost convinced that this was an unbreakable chain and I was destined to put up with it forever....

I'm only a couple of months in this time but I am done...for good.

I will not drink again and there is absolutely no chance at all that I will change my mind.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Great to have you here, Junoluna. Welcome to the other side.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Welcome JunoLuna-- I'm so glad to see you here! Congratulations and welcome to your new life!
Old 12-13-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Welcome Junoluna! I'm so glad you discovered the AVRT threads.

After years of trying other methods, I joined SR in February this year........and it wasn't until August that I noticed the Secular Connections forum . I discovered the AVRT threads and read and read......(I also bought the book, but from what other AVRTers have said, that isn't strictly necessary).

I made my Big Plan and practised AVRT, and thus was born the new me. I have liberated myself from addiction and found a freedom, which is so empowering, that it extends beyond 'just' (although it probably saved my life) stopping drinking.

As in, now that I possess the power to stop drinking, forever, after attempting (daily) for years...then I also have the power to apply myself to other self-improvement.

For me, it's a massive mind-set shift and whereas I feared pretty much everything when I was a drinker, I now possess a more fearless, positive approach whilst I rebuild my life.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
As in, now that I possess the power to stop drinking, forever, after attempting (daily) for years...then I also have the power to apply myself to other self-improvement.
I would argue that you have always possessed the power to quit drinking, Tatsy, but that you were led to believe otherwise. Addiction is a grand illusion of necessity enveloped and sustained by the Addictive Voice, which is subjectively experienced as self ("me").

That is, until the AV is finally recognized for what it is — inauthentic. It may feel like you were reborn after being misled for so long, both by your own AV, and by certain segments of society, but you have simply returned to your authentic self, albeit wiser for the experience.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Old 12-14-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
I would argue that you have always possessed the power to quit drinking, Tatsy, but that you were led to believe otherwise. Addiction is a grand illusion of necessity enveloped and sustained by the Addictive Voice, which is subjectively experienced as self ("me").

That is, until the AV is finally recognized for what it is — inauthentic. It may feel like you were reborn after being misled for so long, both by your own AV, and by certain segments of society, but you have simply returned to your authentic self, albeit wiser for the experience.
Algorithm, I agree, completely. I always possessed the power to stop drinking, but sadly, I lost years of my life, by believing the Recovery Group Movement; who stated that the power was held by the G-d of my understanding and their Steps and meetings. Also, the Addiction Treatment Industry; who stated that the power was held by them, to be taught, administered or dispensed by them.

Since learning that the aforementioned isn't true via RR AVRT, my Addictive Voice is now overridden forever, by my Authentic Voice (of which I wrote recently) which is the voice of myself, my higher brain self, not the automatic lower brain Addictive Voice.

Therefore, although I do feel reborn, in reality, I've simply returned to my original, true, authentic self, in control of the base animal pleasure addict drive.

Freshstart, those ruby red slippers are awesome. That one image encapsulates everything that I've learnt, then experienced since making my Big Plan and practising AVRT........I have the power!

I always possessed the Power, it is inherent within me and every human being. I just didn't realise this was the case until I encountered SRs Secular Connection forum and it's fantastic inhabitants.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I have been able to recognize the AV, label it and move on these few weeks since I came back to AVRT and left the "meetings". it's been sending subliminal messages such as going into my past and bringing up drinking situations to the surface, even bad situation that should deter me from drinking I label AV because "I" had no reason to be thinking about those distant bad memories anyways, so they must not come from me, they must come from a part of my brain that wants me to feel pity and sorry for myself and label me as an alcoholic and go back to what it knows best and familiar with, drinking again. I have been very mindful of my thinking and separating what comes from ME an what comes from the old neural pathways, mid brain, AV, the Beast. the old method of calling someone from the "program" never worked for me. The Beast loved it, after talking to that someone, the beast would just say "ok he's done with the phone call, I am still here and he has yet to make the distinction between between the real HE and the Beast in his Reptilian brain"
Old 12-24-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Hello NIC -- I think you've got it right -- you can choose to let go of those old drinking stories and self-pity, as they're not helping you move forward. I'm rooting for ya!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Happy Christmas or Happy Holidays, whatever your religion or non- religion, AVRT absolutely rocks!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
quat

Don't forget Festivus!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Don't forget Festivus!
Festivus for the rest 'f us
Old 12-24-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notincontrol View Post
I have been able to recognize the AV, label it and move on these few weeks since I came back to AVRT and left the "meetings"... the old method of calling someone from the "program" never worked for me. The Beast loved it...
The Beast may try to get you to return to recovery group meetings, since they will always be there for you, and it's so easy to be forgiven for having a drink there, as long as you call it a relapse. AVRT provides a simply solution to this particular problem, though.

You simply make a Big Plan for meetings, and then use AVRT to recognize "any thinking or feeling that supports, or even suggests, attending any recovery group meetings, ever" as your Beast trying to evade the bullet of lifetime abstinence.

I sense uncertainty in your time counting, almost as if you are setting new records every day, but abstinence is not a miracle, as the Beast claims. Set your confidence level arbitrarily at 100%, recognize all self doubt as the Addictive Voice, and let the Beast count time since ITs last drink.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
I sense uncertainty in your time counting, almost as if you are setting new records every day, but abstinence is not a miracle, as the Beast claims. Set your confidence level arbitrarily at 100%, recognize all self doubt as the Addictive Voice, and let the Beast count time since ITs last drink.
I mentioned in my post (since I left the meetings and gotten back to AVRT.....)
I thought of it as just a timeline within my story or as a reference to as of when I started using AVRT "again", but I can see where it sounds as if I am setting new records and uncertainty from my part. Good catch, now that I read my post again, it really sounded like I am giving AVRT another chance and see if it will work, PURE BEAST talk.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

How many Beasts does it take to change a lightbulb?

This was posted in another forum by another member, but I am copying and pasting here. Thanks, heartcore.

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
How many AVs does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer. A million AVs of a million alcoholics couldn't change a single lightbulb, cause in the end - regardless of their manipulations - they don't have any hands!!
So simple, but so true.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Just a little bump up for this thread before I head out for my jolli holiday

I can state with 100% confidence that no drink will be consumed by me, but lots of barbie sausages will be
Old 04-09-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Obsession. I used to obsess about drinking, when I was going to drink, how to control my drinking, what I did while I was drinking, my shame about my drinking.... you get it. Now I find that I obsess about not drinking. It's on my mind constantly. Not struggling so much about picking up a drink or debating with myself because I don't allow that anymore, but the fact that I've quit. My question is, is the obsession about quitting also AV or is it normal because I've made such a big change? I'm obsessive by nature, I obsess about other things too.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Zen, if the obsession is in terms "I'm so happy I'm free". "That horrendous part of my life is behind me, forever" that's YOU. I have many of these thoughts and feelings, I'm so ecstatic that I'm a non-drinker, forever, no more obsession with drinking, buying, counting - simply freedom to live my life as a person who doesn't drink alcohol. I view this happiness as the "Abstinence Commitment Effect" that RR AVRT mentions.

But, if the obsession is thinking in terms of "What should I do to continue feeling happy and content, what hobbies, pastimes etc., should I pursue" and "How should I fill the time I previously spent drinking, to stop myself becoming bored", then that's the AV, trying to get a foot in the door and ultimately suggest that your non-drinker status is contingent and conditional upon X, y and z - being happy, not bored, fulfilled etc.

I am a non-drinker and yes, when I'm reading SR, it's at the forefront of my mind, but when I log-off, at seven months, 'I' rarely think about it being a non-drinker, it's my forever normality. The only time I think about drinking, when I'm not on SR, isn't actually me, but my AV using my thoughts and feelings.

The only reason I still read and post on SR, is to hopefully give someone feedback whilst they're learning AVRT.