Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6

Old 03-15-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Do whatever the hell I have to not to get sucked backed into that BS. I have a plan in place for the F it's and I have already successfully used it. I have identified the You broke the spell and can moderate now as just leftover delusion. I am not sure how I would handle getting super depressed if something tragic happened and I decided life wasn't worth living.
What is the "F it's" that you have a plan in place for?
Old 03-15-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Where you just get pissed off and don't care about anything. Usually happens to me when I am making a change like quitting smoking or giving up sugar.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Where you just get pissed off and don't care about anything. Usually happens to me when I am making a change like quitting smoking or giving up sugar.
Well, if you're interested in learning about Addictive Voice Recognition Technique, you're in the right place.
The RR website and resources indicated there are also "the right place".
Old 03-15-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Have you thought of quitting smoking permanently? or quitting sugar permanently?
Old 03-15-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

FYI, in 5 hours it will be 50 days I gave up a very serious nicotine "habit" cold turkey.
I had a dip going almost all of my waking hours - sometimes in my sleep. Too often actually. Imagine the shakes I had for a week+.

I made the decision to quit and not use again no matter what. And I am sticking to the plan. If not for the knowledge of how AVRT works, I'd still be putting that **** in my mouth every day all day. I have no doubt. I tried tapers, nicotine gums, pressure points and breathing exercises, and chewing on licorice root. None of that worked for me. Finally I just said, I QUIT.
That was it.

Good discussion by the way.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:48 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Interesting bit of AV activity when I heard my brother is going to be getting married, immediate anxiety about the celebrations, that previously would of had me feeling worried about "Relapsing" for months.

Nope, not anymore. Worrying "But what if I drink?" is sort of inherently absurd and irrational. I wouldn't worry "What if I forget to wear trousers?" or "What if I turn up dressed in a gorilla costume?", this is absurd because I am in control of these things, so the fear makes no sense. As I am in control of myself and my actions, I needn't worry about the wedding nor it's celebration, because I will never drink again.

Now I can look forward to the event safe in the knowledge alcohol won't be a problem for me. True freedom.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
quat

I can report a similar experience in feelings, recently booked travel arrangements for an out of state family wedding. Practically the only anxiety that came up was associated with whether or not it would be be 'acceptable' to book separate from inlaws hotel accomodations( and we can yeah!), I mean dont get me wrong, I love my mother in law, but... ya know
Old 03-19-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I noticed this too in my second year, took a good 18 months for me but once I lost the fear of a tiger behind every bush and became comfortable with confidence, my anxiety over new situations really just evaporated. Triggers and cravings can just happen and are beyond our control, but relapses don't just happen - we make the decisions.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I noticed this too in my second year, took a good 18 months for me but once I lost the fear of a tiger behind every bush and became comfortable with confidence, my anxiety over new situations really just evaporated. Triggers and cravings can just happen and are beyond our control, but relapses don't just happen - we make the decisions.
That happened to me too right around a year. My friends were talking about a night we went out and had a lot of fun. I started to remember what it was like to go out and drink way back when it was still fun. Then I had this thought I could drink maybe once a month or so. I freaked out and spilled my guts here. Dee told me "thoughts are not actions". I calmed down a bit and learned to trust myself.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Hello. I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for these threads. I have read from part one over the last 10 days or so and my book arrived yesterday. For the first time in my drinking life, I know what to do. This has been the biggest lightbulb moment of my life and I now have a Big Plan in place and know exactly what I am doing. Thank you to all who have posted here about AVRT and especially to Terminally Unique. Reading his posts while awaiting my book was integral to my understanding and to my recovery. AVRT is absolutely the right fit for me. I am personally responsible for every aspect of my health and well being, including my past abuse of alcohol. I never drink now
Old 03-25-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Welcome, Marie. This is a great little corner of the internet. I was a program butterfly, jumping from approach to approach trying to find what would work for me. It eventually occurred to me that the common element was the realization that "I am personally responsible for every aspect of my health and well being." This was the approach that stripped away all the non-essential stuff and focused solely on what was needed.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Two songs just played in my head JF--Jump Around (H.O.P) and Standing Still (Jewel). Of course one must go there to get here--I did anyway. Glad yuns are here too.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Good work marie
Old 03-25-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Marie. You have made a great decision and a wonderful choice.
If you are struggling getting over any craving or trigger you may encounter, don't keep it to yourself. Log on and post. Many of us went through a period of craving in the beginning. Stay resolute in your decision. You are in charge now.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by marie5465 View Post
This has been the biggest lightbulb moment of my life...
Been there, done that.

Welcome!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Welcome Marie!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Welcome Marie

and LonleyShadow, I just want to say I love what you said here:
Worrying "But what if I drink?" is sort of inherently absurd and irrational. I wouldn't worry "What if I forget to wear trousers?" or "What if I turn up dressed in a gorilla costume?", this is absurd because I am in control of these things, so the fear makes no sense.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I like that kind of thinking too.
What if I go out and rob a bank today? Naw, it ain't gonna happen.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

'I don't kick Puppies. I don't hit Women. And, I don't Drink'. ~ Me
Old 03-25-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes and the words of advice everyone. So today I will get the chance to flex my newly formed AVRT muscles. I am off to an all day and overnight works away day. They are taking us to a theme park, dinner and a hotel (25 of us) and our employers are paying for everything. Traditionally a very boozy affair. Free drink frenzy if you like lol. The girl I am sharing with asked me if I wanted red wine or rose for our room. I feel calm. My AV has been piping up with things like 'you might as well leave this Big Plan thing till you come back, you haven't finished the book yet, so have a blowout and start when you come back'

I will go and I will not drink. I think it was Soberlicious who said 'not an option' and that's what I keep telling my AV, along with 'I will never drink again'. I am calm and in control and I trust myself. I will report back on Friday. I am looking forward to the rides at the fun park, a nice meal, and I am taking my gym stuff so that I have a good workout before breakfast to focus on. Thank you all again