Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6

Old 04-05-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post

At 3-4 months, thoughts of how I wasn't drinking were still at the front of my mind a lot, and I didn't feel like I fit into my old life anymore, but I hadn't created a life without drinking in it yet.
I hadn't thought of it this way. Yes, at four months I haven't yet created a life without drinking. Sometimes I find myself going to bed at insanely early hours because I literally don't know what to do with myself. I need to really work on creating a life without drinking, not just on not drinking.

And thanks for everyone's advice. I prefer to ask for it here, in the Secular Connections section under this AVRT thread, because this philosophy really struck a chord with me. Nothing against AA at all, but it just doesn't strike a chord with me, and I feel if I ask questions in the Alcoholism section I'm often directed to an AA meeting or the Big Book. Of course I know full well I haven't mastered AVRT or gotten even close, but learning about both it (and, actually, the Freedom Model) are the only reasons I'm 4 months free today. So, thanks for everyone's advice. What a RELIEF it is every time I read something that helps me nudge even closer to a peaceful acceptance.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
quat

Sohard
Don't ever forget You Did This, you may have learned somethings about AVRT, ect , but not having 'mastered' anything doesn't mean You haven't already Done It! Congrats! and Kudos! on that , Yeah ?!

Not feeling 'like a nondrinker' is the AV , whether or not you 'feel' 'like one' surely has no bearing on whether or not you are one , yeah ?

Getting a better handle or 'mastering' AVRT ( it is a technique) leads to being able to 'accept' or 'become happier' with residual desire.

Do you understand what GT is saying in post #379 ?
reading or rereading RR:TNC may help brush up on the terms and concepts, just remember your beast will be reading along too looking for loopholes .

Not getting sloshed all the time has made me reading habit well .. possible , again lol. The Rise and Fall of D.OD.O. has made my early to bed but not so much sleep thing a wizz bang of late
Old 04-06-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Sohard
Don't ever forget You Did This, you may have learned somethings about AVRT, ect , but not having 'mastered' anything doesn't mean You haven't already Done It! Congrats! and Kudos! on that , Yeah ?!

Not feeling 'like a nondrinker' is the AV , whether or not you 'feel' 'like one' surely has no bearing on whether or not you are one , yeah ?

Getting a better handle or 'mastering' AVRT ( it is a technique) leads to being able to 'accept' or 'become happier' with residual desire.

Do you understand what GT is saying in post #379 ?
reading or rereading RR:TNC may help brush up on the terms and concepts, just remember your beast will be reading along too looking for loopholes .

Not getting sloshed all the time has made me reading habit well .. possible , again lol. The Rise and Fall of D.OD.O. has made my early to bed but not so much sleep thing a wizz bang of late
Yes, it was good for me to read post #379. My AV often tells me “this is a load of b.s.....it is YOU that wants the drink (not ‘it’)”), but I know that this is the lie I’m being fed. I mean, intellectually I know it, but I fight to stop questioning that fact.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Sohard
I mean, intellectually I know it, but I fight to stop questioning that fact.
You aren't questioning that fact, It is.

Here's the crux for me, plain and simple I see it as two truths. I don't want alcohol and the problems it brings for me. It does want alcohol and isn't concerned about the consequences. I have one agenda, it has another. The two agendas will never be reconciled and agreed upon. They don't have to be. I have the hands, so I win. It's got pretty much nothing except a bunch of talk that can seem scary and powerful, until it's exposed for what it really is- just a bunch of nonsense.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
You aren't questioning that fact, It is.

Here's the crux for me, plain and simple I see it as two truths. I don't want alcohol and the problems it brings for me. It does want alcohol and isn't concerned about the consequences. I have one agenda, it has another. The two agendas will never be reconciled and agreed upon. They don't have to be. I have the hands, so I win. It's got pretty much nothing except a bunch of talk that can seem scary and powerful, until it's exposed for what it really is- just a bunch of nonsense.
I've been thinking on it. I think a lot of my time prior to quitting drinking was spent not just drinking but the build-up to it. I remember practically being giddy when the day was over and my zone out time could begin. I agree with the thoughts earlier that I was excited for a false promise. And I admit I feel much more relaxed not drinking than I ever did drinking. Maybe the issue is one of literally being trained (like Pavlov the dog) to every day practically want to have a build up of a need like alcohol and then the satisfaction of meeting that need. "Aaaaaahhhhh. Home with the wine...." It's super not having that need to satisfy, that itch to scratch, anymore. But it's also bizarre when you've been satisfying it and itching it for over 20 years. It's like I'm not used to living at peace but also without the bursts of joy (even if it was false) I'd get when always seeking something, getting it, seeking something, getting it, seeking something, gettting it, ...
Old 04-07-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
quat

It’s interesting you bring up Pavlov. From a lay perspective /understanding it seems the important inferences from his study was the associative aspect of the bell ringing and the expectation of being presented with food. Actually as I type this it makes me think those experiments could be revisited with eye toward more fully understanding ‘dog consciousness’? Perhaps they suggest aspects of a more robust capacity for abstraction in dog ‘thought’? Recognition of future results?, hmm anyways..
Given what we know about human consciousness , current and future understanding not necessarily withstanding , a disassociative technique can be very powerful in ‘short circuiting’ an urge or desire. Without getting too far in the weeds pertaining to dopamine release and other brain chemical reactions to stimulae both concrete and abstract, the bell ringing effect of the unindulged desire brings the concomitant salivation of the feelings of unease of not indulging.
How long does it take for the bell ringing not followed by presentation to affect the salivation response ? The analogy really only holds loosely , but in either case the ringing isn’t really what brings the presentation , just the expectation , yeah? Sorry this is a rather stream of consciousness thingy.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Addictive

...VOICE RECOGNITION TECHNIQUE WENT NATIONAL 25 YEARS AGO.

I’ve bumped this thread at the time of US Thanksgiving with thanks for its ongoing presence here on SR in the public realm.

One quarter of a century ago the first book on Addictive Voice Recognition Technique was published as “The Final Fix”, by Jack Trimpey, Lotus Press, CA, 1994. One year later, the Rational Recovery website went online worldwide. Two years later, an expanded version was published as “Rational Recovery, The New Cure”.

A quarter of a century is 10% of the age of the United States. The only other time in US history that this unconditional, permanent abstinent method of recovery from addiction was popularly promoted across the nation was for the two years of 1840 and 1841 by the original Washingtonians. Unfortunately, Washingtonianism changed and came to mean something other than unconditional self recovery.

Eight years ago Addictive Voice Recognition Technique was introduced worldwide through this website by Terminally Unique (originally using AVRT for a username) and the thousands of posts of this long running thread began. It is still here thanks to Morning Glory and the SR staff.

Since only so much can be said about AVRT, and since it is not an ongoing program of shared recovery, this thread has fallen silent; just like the musical duet of the alien mothership with the humans’ computers at the foot of Devil’s Tower in “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”. There are many types of arrivals at the door of learning AVRT, and a broad spectrum of them are here in this thread and others read them and find commonality.

Hopefully, those who, understandably, do not see the US Thanksgiving as commemorative of a time of thanks can still be thankful about discovering AVRT for themselves or someone they know, or simply knowing it has been created and cannot be uncreated. AVRT is culturally neutral and still publicly available to anyone in its pristine form.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

This original thread now branches off from the duplicates in the Permanent Abstinence Forum nextdoor

Starting with this post, this thread of AVRT will be branching off from the identical series of six threads that have been duplicated without the “thanks” feature included up to last April. The thanks feature will be included on both threads as they move their separate ways into the future helping to keep the Addictive Voice Recognized in as many places as is allowed by the rules of Secular Recovery.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Dear Mr. Jack Trimpey, thank you for Addictive Voice Recognition Technique.

It has become commonly used as “AV”: here on SR. That can only benefit everyone that seeks to self-recover and ignore and dismiss, their AV.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:15 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Question

May we still post to this forum?
Old 10-13-2022, 05:24 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello rpetezzz, and Welcome;

Yes, these 'serial' threads are closed and another opened once the thread reaches 500 posts. I'm a moderator for the Friends and Family side, but as far as I can tell, you are still free to post here. One of the other Mods will be along and advise me otherwise if necessary.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:38 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

I really like the tone of this thread. I checked out a couple of other AVRT threads and this one resonates the best. I am new to the SR discussion board, so I may be asking a very basic question about the technology here.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:48 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rpetezz!

There is much to explore here. I’m a member of this interest group. I have used a variety of avenues/tools to get and keep, sober.

If you are on a phone, scroll down and hit the ‘see desktop version’ bar. It gets MUCH easier to view and see.

There are also classes, there is an October class, whereby members getting sober in October support, vent and encourage each other along the journey.

Glad you are here.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:26 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Welcome, Rpetezz!

There is much to explore here. I’m a member of this interest group. I have used a variety of avenues/tools to get and keep, sober.

If you are on a phone, scroll down and hit the ‘see desktop version’ bar. It gets MUCH easier to view and see.

There are also classes, there is an October class, whereby members getting sober in October support, vent and encourage each other along the journey.

Glad you are here.
Free..... Thank you so much for the orientation. I will explore more, especially the October class. I am excited to stumble upon this gem of a resource. I read Jack Trimpy's book a while back when I was not yet ready to seriously quit. Now I am, I am thrilled to go forth and do good things. My makeup is especially drawn to the Addictive Voice recognition method. Thanks so much, again. Do we know if Mr. Trimpy is still alive and/or involved in the RR "recovery" movement in any manner?
Old 10-15-2022, 10:25 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rpetezzz View Post
I really like the tone of this thread. I checked out a couple of other AVRT threads and this one resonates the best. I am new to the SR discussion board, so I may be asking a very basic question about the technology here.
rpetezzz,

Welcome to this little, but very important corner on SR. This thread is a 6-part thread, and has some amazing insights into AVRT. If you haven’t already, please read parts 1 through 5 as well.

This 6-part thread and the book were what I used to be happily alcohol-free over 5 years ago. I tried other methods to no avail, but AVRT finally did it for me.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Old 10-16-2022, 03:20 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

1999 thank you for your perceptions. 5 years! Very nice, indeed. I have made my Big Plan earlier today and just wanted to announce it here. Thank you for your insight and share.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:51 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

It has been about a week since my Big Plan. The thing that jumps out for me is that it is so much simpler to make calendar type decisions knowing that I don't have to work in time for me and my Beast to spend some "quality" alone time together. Wow!
Old 10-21-2022, 07:18 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Hi rpetezzz - just wanted to say hi and add my voice to say that AVRT can a be a very powerful tool.

After decades of drinking and stopping and relapsing I have finally found my way to sobriety with the help of AVRT. It is as you say wonderful and very free-ing to be able to go through your day/ week/ life without having to factor in the hours of tussling with the AV - it feels like liberation from prison.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:09 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

It is as you say wonderful and very free-ing to be able to go through your day/ week/ life without having to factor in the hours of tussling with the AV - it feels like liberation from prison.

Well put, dustyfox......it feels like liberation from prison.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:32 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

to SoberRecovery rpetezzz.
I'm in the September Class but pop over to the October Class too. Come over and join us .
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-2-a-3.html