Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6

Old 08-16-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Thank you, Aleric.

Yes, but it's important when a Big Plan is made, that no expectations of a new, better life are attached. Outside the BP I nurtured the hope that when I stopped drinking, a natural consequence would be physical, material and self-improvements. With hard work. these expectations have exceeded my hopes and continue to unfold - as a consequence of stopping drinking I can apply myself as a functioning non-drinker: instead of the previous inept, self-sabotaging, ,self-neglecting drinker.

When I made my Big Plan "I will never drink again and I will never change my mind" the ONLY expectation I placed on myself, was an inaction: not drinking. Consequently, when I succeeded in that aim, my self-esteem and confidence resurrected and as it flourished, I was able to apply this self-empowerment to nurturing myself and my life.
I agree. Even though things will invariably be better, if we let them, the attitude has to be "I'm going to quit come what may."
Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
quat

"... the odds are that the alcohol consumption will rapidly ramp up to the original (unwanted) amount.."

Without a BP there is no separation , one is all Beast . When I was simpatico with my Beast I wanted the booze, too. The consequences, on the other hand I didn't want , the Beast coudn't care less , Its only concern was using my AV to convince me that the consequences of wanting and denying myself outweighed the actual consequences of drunkeness. So I just transferred the consequences of wanting and being denied to IT, poor bugger stuck in Beast hell , all want , and no way to satisfy.
And in a strange way It always was in that predicament , try as I may I never really satisfied IT. The difference is I'm out of the hell of being a drunk.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Yeah the, no matter what, part of the BP is important because sh*t happens in life and the AV will use your tragedies/victories against you as prime drinking opportunities. IT's always got a solution to whatever's happening you....... Lost your job? Have a drink. Got diagnosed with the big C? Have a drink. Won the lottery? Have a drink.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
... AVRT is a distillation of the common wisdom of the self-recovered, the person on the street. I can't imagine many people having anything like the esoteric thoughts above. Most people would know as a matter of common sense that they can always change their mind [on their Big Plan] if they want to but won't because they enjoy their new, better life too much.
This is your Addictive Voice, and possibly a variation on the 'getting happy' contingency that many people like to throw in when it comes to addiction recovery. If one doesn't 'get happy' after quitting, it's back to that precious stuff -- or so they say.

With AVRT, we can simply recognize that the Beast is none too happy with a lifetime of abstinence -- and gloat. Beasts have feelings, but such feelings are nevertheless AV, and separation is the key.

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
I agree. Even though things will invariably be better, if we let them, the attitude has to be "I'm going to quit come what may."
Things will be better in the sense that no new problems will arise from drinking or using, but what if you don't enjoy your new life?

What then?

Remember, a bargain is a contingency.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
This is your Addictive Voice, and possibly a variation on the 'getting happy' contingency that many people like to throw in when it comes to addiction recovery. If one doesn't 'get happy' after quitting, it's back to that precious stuff -- or so they say.

With AVRT, we can simply recognize that the Beast is none too happy with a lifetime of abstinence -- and gloat. Beasts have feelings, but such feelings are nevertheless AV, and separation is the key.

Things will be better in the sense that no new problems will arise from drinking or using, but what if you don't enjoy your new life?

What then?

Remember, a bargain is a contingency.
I agree. It is an absolute commitment, not a bargain. Abstinence does not depend on the AV quieting down. We cannot control our AV and, rather than try, it's better to simply recognise and separate from it when it arises.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post

Things will be better in the sense that no new problems will arise from drinking or using

I just want to cherry pick this one bit and say how huge just that is! Seriously, what a relief. The problems and distress I was causing myself...... it was such a burden and it's a wonderful feeling to really let it sink in that it will never cause me anymore problem's ever again. There gets to be a new story, a sequel, because that story had an end.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

The ACE sealed my BP and I'm successfully recognising those similar thoughts of "what if?"
Then I will successfully try and deal with life with tools I have learnt along the way which includes the freedom from any and all consequences of imbibing alcohol.... Forever
Old 09-08-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

My AV is so opportunistic and sly..... I had some good news today at work and coincidentally I'm going out to dinner and a show with some friends. My AV, which has been dormant for some time now, sends me an image of me having a toast to celebrate my good news. It made the act of drinking feel like it would be an innocent act, just a drink among friends, harmless and jovial. It just loves to change tactics and find new angles to try to worm Its way back in.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Zen, mine too sometimes plays the 'just a couple of innocent drinks' and 'you deserve it as a reward' and 'let's celebrate' cards. It has no connection to my full memory banks. It just uses a small selection of memories from the time prior to when the addiction process set in and the Booze Beast was born. It's selective memory serves only to minimise, glamorise or suggest that drink will make me feel better.

As if, ain't going to happen I say to the deluded, instant gratification monster with the memory of a reptile, which that part of my addicted brain is akin to. Yes, I know it's just the addictive brain network, firing away, like an habitual pre-set alarm clock.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I had some good news today at work
Congratulations on that!
Old 09-09-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Yeah the thoughts have no power over me, I don't respect them or take them seriously. It just amazes me how any little opportunity that pops up and my AV jumps on it. It reminds me of a snake that recoils and waits and then lunges out at the right opportunity, my job is to remember that the snake has no teeth and isn't venomous, all it can do is make its presence known.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

The snake imagery is a.good one. Desire for drinking/using can become.such an integral part of you that it seems lthat it is you/is something inseparable from you. An important step.is seeing it as a mere thought/emotion, as something that does not hold your identity.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

The Final Fix for Alcohol and Drug Dependence: AVRT

I found a rare gem on the Internet Archive library. They have scanned and digitized the limited pre-publication draft edition of The New Cure for Substance Addiction from Lotus Press. It contains much of the same material as TNC, although it is not as polished, and retains a little bit of RET, which was ultimately removed from TNC.

Since people have inquired about a digital edition of TNC, I am posting the link to this book here. I doubt that the Internet Archive library can loan out unlimited copies, so it is probably first come, first serve, but the book is free to borrow for 14 days at a time. Perhaps they will eventually get around to digitizing TNC as well.

The Final Fix for Alcohol and Drug Dependence: AVRT

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique

by Jack Trimpey

ISBN 0-934373-49-3

Lotus Press
Single Printing, October 1994
Old 12-17-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
quat

Bump
Old 12-18-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

I wonder if Part 1 of this discussion could be made into a sticky thread because the discussion in its entirety is such a full description of AVRT?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  
quat

I second that notion, and it would be easier to reference for newbies.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Hi there,

New to sobriety (12 days). I've read almost every corner of the SR website, and all the far reaches of the internet, trying to find the magic cure for alcoholism: is it medication or AA or SMART or Lifering or AVRT??? To me, AVRT makes sense. And I guess that's what matters. Whatever makes sense to you and you can wrap your mind around is the system (plan?) a person should use. So, I am fully committed to trying this. The part of it that worries me is that, in a way, it seems too easy. Wait- I can just say "no" to the beast? And my hell is over? I've spent the past 20 years in hell, and I can just say "no" to it? It's a powerful concept, that's for sure. My first request I'll make of anyone reading this is that it would be just be so great to read about a success story. About a real long-term alcoholic who applied this plan and was done FOR GOOD. No relapsing. Does that apply to anyone here? If it does, I'd really appreciate your taking the time to share your story. It would help me, I think.

Secondly, I do wonder, IF it's so easy that I can just say "Nope beast, you're powerless, outta my way while I go live my life!", then why would people continue to spend their time logging onto SR secular recovery? Is it because maybe one day I can finally understand the beast is powerless, but I will still hear it roaring and a community of AVRT members can help quiet that roar?

I'm just desperately trying to figure it out and will take any and all advice. Thank you in advance of it.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Glad to see you here in SR. I've been following your efforts in other Threads.

I'll gladly write up my Saga soon of getting free after 42 Years of increasingly-hard Drinking. It'll take me a while; only because I want to get it right for you.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Glad to see you here in SR. I've been following your efforts in other Threads.

I'll gladly write up my Saga soon of getting free after 42 Years of increasingly-hard Drinking. It'll take me a while; only because I want to get it right for you.
42 years?? Gosh, I'd love to read your saga. I'll look out for it. Thank you!!
Old 12-23-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hiya Sohard ~

I'm glad you found a bunch of us Recovered Folks in this SR niche.

My brief Back Story is that I started Drinking [and Drugging] in College, and carried on with increased Drinking right through early Retirement at age 48 some 16 Years ago. As of next Month, I quit w/o Relapse 4 Years ago. After quitting, I found SR when I was looking for on-line support. I read the RR/AVRT Slides on-line that a Mentor here made me aware of. RR put structure to what I call The Quit Decision.

A common realization throughout SR is that the resolute committment to walk away from Drinking comes from within. It is not typically an externally-imposed dynamic. I likened it to a Heart Pacemaker. I wanted to carry around my Sober Committment within, and not be tethered to 'something' external. I deserved Sober Freedom; not just a transference of my Addiction. Therefore, I achieved that Sober Freedom.

The Devil Is In The Details, for many. That is, develop your Trick Bag re: what Social Situations you're comfortable with, and that are positive. Or not. Me, I still avoid small House Dinners where I'll be the only non-Drinker. I just can't be bothered. Around me, my Wife of ~40 Years has quit Drinking. Then, there's Sports. Concerts. After-Work FACs all need your Boundaries invoked. Many of us work up glib standard answers as to why you don't drink Alcohol, or why you'll be opting out of a sotted Camping Weekend. Developing and rehearsing your lines takes a load off awkward Invitations until Sobriety becomes The New Normal while the roaring AV lessens over time, with repetitive practice. Boundaries 101. Certain activities, and Friends that are Friends only because of past Drinking, might have to be shed. Not a bad thing, I found. Getting Sober coincidentally makes some 'Friends' self-conscious about their own excess Drinking.

There's all kinds of Recovery 'givens' that didn't ring true for me. That self-driven Recovery is somehow 'White Knuckling', or 'going it alone'. I liked SR because of the brutal truth allowed by anonymity, and the large number of POVs that transcend any F2F Meeting. I'd check SR while in line at the Grocery, or before Bed. Just to get a lil burst of new thinking, or to see how someone was doing. SR is also a great Resource for assessing who has the sort of Sobriety you want [or not], and what Toolkit they're working to achieve that.

My Brain was my biggest Asset to Recovery after a few Weeks Sober. No, I wasn't 'all normal' after 2 Weeks. But, as SR Members and Mods also have attested, my thinking started to normalize some as my daily Intake over Years of a ~Liter of Vodka had rinsed out of my System. Further, I was big on 'Distractions' to help change Routines. Posting here. Taking PIctures. Hiking with our Dog. Working House Projects, since I designed and built this Solar House myself before I sobered up. Whatever individualized Steps it takes...

I live out now in what I call 'The SoberSphere'. At the Dog Park, or at RV Parks while traveling about, I meet loads of Self-Recovered Folks as we drift into varied topics. Indeed, I've met and now hired 2 Handymen here in the Rural West who are working off their DUI-related expenses. Typically around $10,000-. So, regarding your question, I also circle back here to SR to see if I can contribute a little by referencing the larger Reality outside pre-Recovery.

My latest epiphany is to understand and respect my own Genetics-based Introversion. Avoiding the stress of 'too many' People in person was critical to my own permanent Recovery. Read some here about how 'we're' wired. Trying to force fit an Extrovert-oriented Recovery Program onto me would have closeted me back into Drinking. With a fatal Outcome. The single, most-critical State now for this kinda-Introvert to achieve?

> Serenity <
~ Why Introverts And Extroverts Are Different ~