Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6

Old 04-27-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Tasty, Zenchaser, and Shitzupuppy!

I am having a good day so far. Kicking that AV to the curb! I am in control!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Spryte, you ARE in control and I never doubted it for a moment....so you can forget about that "so far" bit above, because that might be the Beast's AV, trying to put doubt into your mind about being OK for the rest of your birthday. If it was - It's been caught out for what IT is - so now YOU know you're in control and have the power, all day and every day.

Spryte .
Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spryte View Post
Kicking that AV to the curb! I am in control!
:Spryte, that's awesome
Old 05-01-2017, 02:41 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

I had a slip this weekend. I had plans made for Saturday night but I drank during the day on Saturday and broke my plans. I feel awful. Now I'm behind in everything, cleaning, laundry and taxes. It was not worth it.

I'm dusting myself off and getting back to it. I don't need to listen to the AV today.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

I had a slip this weekend. I had plans made for Saturday night but I drank during the day on Saturday and broke my plans. I feel awful. Now I'm behind in everything, cleaning, laundry and taxes. It was not worth it.

I'm dusting myself off and getting back to it. I don't need to listen to the AV today.

Hi Spryte,

There is no such thing as a "slip" unless you're referring to gravity helping your swallowing muscles as the booze slips on down your throat. Gravity helps the alcohol slip its way on into your blood stream as you pour it into your tilted back head's mouth one inch from your nose and two inches from your wide open eyes (or did you close your eyes to help savor alcohol's chemical warmth and the exciting anticipation of that wonderful pleasure) .

You didn't just go along with your AV to wiggle a finger, you had a drink, followed by lots of others, and here you are with not even a parking ticket; only some slightly delayed chores. Not too bad.

As to attending recovery groups while trying to learn AVRT: that would only make sense as a very immersive sort of SHIFTING involving dealing with a huge amount of INSTITUTIONAL ADDICTIVE VOICE activity as well as witnessing people becoming trapped and already trapped in a Way Of Life In-recovery Purgatory (WOLIP) ruled over by the prime directive "I have given in to being permanently addicted and can never get past this condition that needs constant help from other strugglers."

If you want to do some real serious powerful SHIFTING, I would recommend this much quicker personalized method instead of attending recovery groups. Go buy a bottle of your Beast's favorite form of alcohol and take it home and put in a prominent place in your kitchen. Then, ocassionally, take a glass and pour some out and put it to your nose and smell. Then pour it back in the bottle - over the sink in case some misses. That way you can do this SHIFTING over and over for many weeks until that small amount that misses being poured back in finally leaves the bottle empty. I think this form of SHIFTING is much to be preferred to attending recovery groups.

After you've read "Rational Recovery: The New Cure..." one way to accelerate your AVRT proficiency (and better understand this post) would be to reread the glossary at the end of the book until you know the meaning of each term by heart. Good luck and keep us posted.

And by the way, you don't need to tell us, or anyone for that matter, when you finally do make your Big Plan (which you can do only once in your lifetime), but you will know when you've made it. SHIFTING will then no longer be needed as an exercise in understanding AVRT.

GT
Old 05-01-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Spot on GT
Shifting is a very powerful exercise in differentiating between you and IT
Spryte there is no way you can commit fully to AVRT and a Big Plan (in other words indepedent recovery) while attending recovery groups.
I don't know if you have made a commitment one way or the other regarding that or maybe you saying " I don't need to listen to the AV today. " is showing which method your Beast prefers?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

spryte, you say "it wasn't worth it", and it's a statement i often hear after someone has drunk again.
and i wonder how that looks in your/their mind.
what would the experience need to make it "worth it"?
what, on any given day-after, might make you sit there and say wow, was that ever worth it!

questions along those lines can quickly show the absurdity of the concept.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

The bottom line is, I want the pleasure, I will rationalize that as something else afterwards.
AT THIS MOMENT I want the buzz
Afterwards, when the consequences of the buzz kicks in, I can suddenly see me and IT
You have to make a stand, is it you and IT or are you just tied up so close together that you want the buzz without feeling bad about getting it?
AVRT is recoginising IT wants the buzz, and youwant to go back to being a decent human being. IT's aganda is false, how many times are you going to fall for it?
Old 05-01-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Is it you or IT? I meant to say. There is no co-existence...one must die. Actually, if IT has ITs way, you will both die, but IT doesn't think. IT wants pleasure exists for pleasure is geared to make you seek it, and this wonderful chemical alcohol gives it, however short lived.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies, I'm giving them serious thought.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
quat

Remember the AV will be reading over your shoulder, looking for loop holes. Trying to convince you that there is something to 'this' that you don't quite understand or know how to 'get the hang of'. That Its obfuscation,its loophole to keep the decision from being made, Its sense of the end of Its supply. Cue the little green muppet with the pointy ears " Do or do not , there is no try"
You can Do it, IT wants you to keep 'trying'
wish you well
Old 05-03-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

I've ordered the AVRT book from amazon. Just waiting on it to arrive. Feeling blue today due to bad weather. I have to remember that every day is not going to be rosy. Still sticking with my Big Plan but feeling not so confident, especially about weekends. Going to make plans to stay busy this weekend. I'm glad this forum exists, I find it very helpful. I've been doing a lot of reading.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Hi Spryte, I have the book and found it beneficial, as I had a background in group-recovery and wished to fully learn self-recovery, so that my AV couldn't use "you don't fully understand AVRT and it won't work" against me.

It's a few days short of 9 months since I made my Big Plan (says my day counting Beast) and I recall making it and not feeling fully 100% sure; but it was a leap of faith in the technique and in myself. I know now with hindsight, that my unsure feelings were the Beast, injecting self-doubt through the AV (thoughts, feelings and imagery that suggests the future use of al oho. - relapse/slip).

Please post any questions which may arise, while you read the book.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

So, I've slipped. I wasn't working my AVRT program. My book just arrived so I'm going to read that. I was feeling really discouraged but I realize that I can't let it get me down and that it's never too late to make a Big Plan. Alcohol is a depressant, no wonder I feel depressed.

It's going to be important to fill my time with healthy non drinking pursuits. I've started online dating, that is a bit of fun. I've met someone who I'm going to see again. And I have my AVRT book to read!

Back on the horse, as they say. Onwards!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
quat

In this context 'never too late to make a BP' is akin to having an inflamed appendix and prolonging the surgery.

Satisfying the Beast's desire is the inflammation, the analogy breaks down a little here, but the appendectomy is the BP . The BP can't remove the desire, but it will stop the possibility of IT being satisfied.

Healthy non drinking pursuits are a consequence of being rid of an addiction, drinking is not a consequence of not' having healthy non drinking pursuits'. The implied context is AV and state of non-separation eg"If these conditions are not met I will drink". In that context , the AV is suggesting the rules and conditions and you are adopting them as your own.

" I don't drink, unconditionally" anything else is AV . Making a BP creates the separation and highlights the AV and all of ITs rules and conditions when drinking is permissible or warranted , which for You is never.

Read the book and be cognizant of the reader over your shoulder.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

So, I've slipped. I wasn't working my AVRT program. My book just arrived so I'm going to read that. I was feeling really discouraged but I realize that I can't let it get me down and that it's never too late to make a Big Plan. Alcohol is a depressant, no wonder I feel depressed.

It's going to be important to fill my time with healthy non drinking pursuits. I've started online dating, that is a bit of fun. I've met someone who I'm going to see again. And I have my AVRT book to read!

Back on the horse, as they say. Onwards!
Hi Spryte,

So, you have received your new manual on how to quit drinking for good by deprogramming from the Recovery Group Movement and learning AVRT. I bet your Beast was buzy plotting away the whole two weeks it took Amazon to deliver it.

You are about to climb out of the ditch created by pacing back and forth with the wishy-washy "I oughta stop" versus "Yum, I'm going to have a slip - let lots of alcohol slip on down my throat, or put another way "Ouch, this hangover is painful" versus "It's been a while, nothing bad's gonna happen, that beautiful nirvana buzz is SOOO, SOOO worth it.

Just think, when you finally make your Big Plan you will NEVER, EVER AGAIN feel that buzz. You will die (probably later than if you don't quit) without EVER feeling that buzz again. How does that sound to YOU? ... to your BEAST?

And, I must say, I'm really quite impressed that you are planning to read your AVRT book on your second date with your new friend. It's a very dynamic way to get the relationship off on the right track. It shows a bold willingness to be open and honest about your drinking past which includes discussing together your consideration of total abstinence. Yes, I think your new friend deserves such honesty. It will be interesting to hear what your new friend thinks of your refreshing approach. I hope you will be willing to share it with us.

All the best,
GT
Old 05-16-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  
quat

GT
I love that you are a full-on bush womper no beating around it

Not sure if dating advice is your forte . If spryte is of a mind to dance around with the idea of permanent abstinence , that trying it out and seeing if/when it 'sticks' , planning on allowing for an unforseen slip , say a social situation and what if any 'testing' that may involve, I think it be best to not be put in one.
And even ( hopefully) if a BP has been implemented , I doubt a discussion of alcohol beyond " I don't drink" is appropriate , or at the least, not socially awkward ?
Permanent abstinence is the mantle my Beast recognizes I wear, but not necessarily the sleeves I want to show in 'public'.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
GT
I love that you are a full-on bush womper
Not sure if dating advice is your forte . ...
dwtbd,
I hear you. Although families, parenting, and marriage have become more diverse and flexible, still, throughout the history of the US, the theme of concern over future drinking within a courtship has been popular even in literature and theater. There are captivating dynamics around stories involving the devastation of givng into the AV and the triumph of moral decency.
GT
Old 05-17-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
quat

A lot to be said for moral decency
Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Newbie here - a couple of weeks of sobriety. I've read all the posts - starting with Part One - on AVRT. I am very encouraged by it. Before I pose my question, I will preface it by saying Terminally Unique welcomed the inclusion of religion to the discussions. It isn't at all my intent to high jack the thread but I have a question relating to making a "higher power" part of the Big Plan - if one has a higher power.

I understand that we have the power within us - just us alone - but wouldn't it give added strength to include it. For example, my Big Plan is "I will never drink again". What if I amend it to something like "With God's strength, I will never drink again".
;I've read through the posts that it's possible to make a big plan and not keep it.) I've even considered making a "vow" to God to never drink again but after researching the idea a bit, I'm not sure that I should.

I have 100% certainty that I will never drink again - just not with my power alone.

Thanks for listening- be gentle please. By the way, I sometimes "hear" Terminally Unique's "voice" in some of these later threads - wishful thinking I guess but I like to think that maybe he's still around. He definitely helped a tremendous amount of people with his support.