Craving out of no where today

Old 01-31-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I need to occupy my mind
In Peter Hamill's memoir, he states that after two months of sobriety he realized he had been squeezing his talent out of a toothpaste tube. In sobriety, our brains start kicking into full gear and our creativity returns. I think it is very important to find an outlet for all that creative energy.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I got a bunny and learned how to bake pies. Whatever it takes....
Old 01-31-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
quat

Sounds great for you, not so good for the bunny
Old 01-31-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That's a funny one about the bunny, Hope there's no ex-lovers involved!
I was essentially robbing time from my family during my last few years of drinking, it was almost life I was too scared to try and cope with all the changes in my life (mostly good changes) without using something to relax me, to escape from the demands placed upon me that I didn't feel adequately prepared for. My life has changed so much since I made my Big Plan with regard to alcohol. I now have time to spend doing things I want to do, learning more about all of my family & myself after realising that I really could just drink my life away or live MY life, for ME. As a result I am learning to like myself more for MY choices, and my family who are much easier to tolerate now my mind is no longer fixating on my poison, thinking all the time that they were to blame for how I felt. My beast was to blame! I love my life now that alcohol is not an option for me, so liberating, I truly have found freedom from the bottle. It becomes easier as time passes, I'm going to look into some Buddha stuff to help me embrace my new passion for living in this beautiful world, to help me appreciate ME more. Nicotine & tobacco are next on my hit list! I'm re-writing my future and quite getting addicted to living life again.

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-31-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Mmmmm bunny pie!!

Celtic I was also robbing my family of myself and vice versa. I have a lot of guilt about my children. I was high functioning, everything has always been taken care of and they've never wanted for anything but I wasn't there for them in the way I could have been if I was sober. I did most of my "partying" when they were at their dad's on the weekends, but I was also a nightly 4-6 after work drinker. So they have certainly been raised with an abnormal exposure to alcohol and for that I am and should be ashamed. At least I've stopped before they are in their teenage years and start emulating me and drinking my stash. Because that was the writing on the wall. As they grow into the hard teenage years I will be able to be a sober and together parent to help guide them into adulthood.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Aaach. I just got the joke about ex lovers and pies. Here's the wild thing: my boyfriend's name is Sweeney.

But seriously it has really helped my cravings to have one project that is delicious and another that's adorable.

Someone gave me a bottle of Prosecco yesterday, my go-to poison pre AVRT. I was feeling down and bored and honestly remembering this thread kept it corked last night. I'm re-gifting it ASAP.

Now my bunny is licking my bare foot so I really must go and enjoy his adorableness.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

And what lovely things to enjoy now your not drinking, my dogs get the 'real' me now, as do the rest of my family. I think your plan to re-gift the bottle is a wise move. Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself

Edit: unless you want to use it as beast bait?
Old 02-10-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sporting events are dangerous places for me. The alcohol consumption and advertisement is off the charts at all events nowadays.

It bugs the hell out of me that teams like the Twins have a BIG Budweiser sign out in left field for little kids to have to be bombarded with every game.

My father was a season ticket holder for the Wild for the first several years and I went to many games...not once did I leave sober, if not enter sober.

As far as the random attack thing, I can relate entirely. I'm on 2 months (60 days) again today, and the last two relapses were 70 days and 56 days, respectively, and both times were so invasive and pervasive and unexpected and random.

There was no reason for drinking except for the fact that it was just a random thought of having a taste of one of my old high school days drinks E&J and then a 3 day black out later....

The other day just like you I had a random craving for beer....not my drink of choice the last several years, vodka, but beer. The thought of hard stuff kind of makes me queasy at this point (which is a good thing) but thinking of beer now sort of crept up on me.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The advertising is all over tv too when you watch sports. The two are completely entwined.

The cravings also seem to come at me at odd times and it's been worse now in the second month than it was during the first. But they aren't unmanageable. They do pass. Just reminders that my addiction is still there waiting for me if I make the terrible decision to pick up again......

Just today at work the thought popped into my head that I could moderate and just have a few this weekend. I can't seem to help the thoughts either, all of a sudden it's just there. There really is a level of insanity in addiction.