AA is not for me anymore.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

The way im doing it now feels so much better. I have a supportive wife, that I have been totally honest with and amazing children that love there daddy. Im reading on here about AVRT im learning how to meditate and doing lots of fun family things. I'm fortunate enough to be able to take time out from work. And most of all I have you guys on here.

All of these things combined are helping me to build a new life for me and my family.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

That's great Mav.

I honestly wish you all the best with your new path.

Take care mate
Old 01-25-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

what is scary with AVRT is that if you screw up it is completely, 100% on you.

Carlotta,
no matter how you go about it, that is true.
regardless of anything else.
ultimately, it's you.
actions you did or did not take.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mavrick View Post
I will be totally honest now. I'm starting to feel a bit uneasy about posting on my own thread in this forum.
I was only trying to get over how I feel about my recovery, im by no means bashing AA and never would and I don't think that anyone else has either.

I find it very anoying that some of the hardcore members of the groups I have been involved with are not willing to acknowledge any other form of recovery.
Take my sponsor for instance. When I explained to him that I am going to be perusing other methods of recovery and will be taking a break from AA, he said I'll be drinking in a month, would i please delete his telephone number.

I find it very comforting that there are so many members on this site that feel or have experienced similar things as me.
I`m sorry about your sponsor.

From time to time you`re going to run across unhealthy/toxic members regardless of sobriety date in the rooms. That`s just the way it is.

However, remember.... if you do decide to return the doors are always open.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
quat

Call him in a few months and ask if he'd like to get some coffee.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Into the Void

yeah, go Mavrick! My wife and I quit together two months ago and it sure helps to have a wingman supporting you (sorry, I couldn't resist). For me a big reason to quit is to set a good example and not pass it on to my kids. Good luck in your new life!
Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
That's what your sponsor would do. And that's on him/her. No one defines alcoholism or recovery the way it's experienced by YOU. You define that.
Very true!

Hard for me to imagine anything more personal than my liberation from alcohol slavery. The way I did it may have been the only way I could have done it. Easy to see how some people can take the mental step to the way I did it is the only way it can be done for anybody.

IMO this is one of the subtle beauties of SR: exposure to a lot of people who succeeded in a lot of different ways. I tried to fit my square peg of a head into the round hole of the steps for a lot of years before I joined this forum and learned there are other ways to go about it.

Rock on Mavrick!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Devote Evolutionist and 4 years 6 months sober. Sadly in my home group it became personalities over principles and I was just as guilty as anyone else. You'll stay sober if you want to mavrick, rootin for ya.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
... Easy to see how some people can take the mental step to the way I did it is the only way it can be done for anybody.
Some can't afford to think of anyone actually finding happiness in sobriety another way. It's too threatening to their own sobriety. Might start giving them ideas and lead them back to the bottle.

Which may have some validity especially for someone who has constantly been in and out of recovery.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Goose to Mavrick... man maybe you got it maybe you don't.. but kick the tires and lite the fires and take it to the danger zone.. hold all of these silly people tight.. come hope around thro the posts and jump in and give it your two bits... and son the only way you can fly straight is with your own mind heart and soul at the wheel... a Blue Star Mom...

Originally Posted by mavrick View Post
3 Weeks sober today and Ive finally realised that AA was making me worse not better. Eight years ago I got sober through the AA program and stayed sober for one year.For the past seven years ive been yoyo ing in and out of sobriety.This time around ive been to a few different meetings in my area and it just doesn't sit right with me anymore.To be honest, ive felt like this for a few years now.
I love reading the Big Book and have learnt so much from AA but there are certain parts of the program that I just can't go along with and im sick and tired of members constantly telling me that this is why I fail to stay sober.

In my own head I feel so much better for stepping away from AA.
I'm doing really well at the moment,just getting on with my recovery my way.
I spend a lot of time mooching around SR, I have my a great routine of a daytime and I feel comfortable.
I have come to realise that there is more than one way to find peace and recover from alcoholism.

Thankyou everyone on here you all mean so much to me.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I don't drink this day

I don't drink next week

I don't drink for elation

Or a slap on the cheek

I don't drink for Lent

Or for Hallow's Eve

Excuse me for sampling

A very brilliant man

His message was simple

Big Plan ...I can.... I am!