Back from a relapse

Old 01-21-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad to hear those who have relapsed are excited to get sober, and stay sober... Welcome back.

I read Jason Vales' book last weekend and would highly recommend it.

It's like a logical sense that you can't really avoid once you've read it, written in a very easy to read way that should appeal to to those who are not 'big readers'

I've been finding the AVRT stuff really useful in keeping my promise to myself to never drink alcohol again.

There was an article I read about Lizard Brain by A. Orange which helped me to explain the idea easier to others, think it was a link from another thread on this forum
http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-addmonst.html

Really interesting stuff.

Keep on keeping on .
Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am 6 days clean since my MASSIVE relapse. I finished Jason Vale's book last night....well worth the read! Something that really smacked me in the head was the fact that Alcohol is the only drug in our society where you are ostracized from many social situations and groups if you abstain and if you stop drinking you must be one of those "sad" alcoholics. No one questioned or felt bad for me when I quit smoking years ago or grilled me at social events why I wasn't smoking anymore!

I too find that I am almost excited for what may come my way to challenge my decision to be done with this addiction.

I have told the truth to my sponsor and let all in my AA group know what has gone on. It is a real sense of freedom to have no dirty little secrets lurking.

Thanks everyone, it was coming back to this site that I was able to talk about my relapse and susequenly find this book. I highly recommend!
Old 01-24-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 6 Choxo, I read your other post about the fabulous year of sobriety and the successful silent auction ball gown you had recently.

Maybe if you look at the differences a year of sobriety made to you, this time around you can make it further...

I spent years having relapses and always blamed it on my addiction, my inability to control my body enough to not have the 1st drink lead to anymore than 2 ( I kept that one up for a few months) I could always find an excuse to 'need' a drink, to keep excusing my relapses, to say I'm an alcoholic, I can't help it, it's a disease.
I even had a conversation with a policeman while very intoxicated about how I didn't believe it was a disease when he tried to make excuses for the state I was in!

I finally turned my power over to me and made a choice.

I chose to NEVER drink alcohol again, it was a scary choice but once I said it, I wrote it down, I kept saying it and writing it down and I got so excited about making myself believe it that I relaxed at the thought of never having to decide again.
The hard part was done, the DTs receded after a few weeks and the more I told people my choice, my descision, the more I believed it, especially those closest to me, so disbelieving, but something is different this time, this time it's forever, and ever and the firmer I am every time I say, or write, or think

'I will never drink alcohol again'

I find it liberating, exhilarating and those words contain my freedom from alcohol addiction.

Next plan: quit nicotine 2nd Feb 2015

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-25-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Choxco, I too found Vale's book compelling. Maybe a bit redundant at times but I believe that was to drive the point home. Cutting to the chase that alcohol is an addiction, not a disease (although it certainly can induce several), how big alcohol business continues to keep the poison in our society, and our perceptions of alcohol use are among many concepts the book brings front and center. IMHO, all alcoholics should read this book. I don't imply that everyone should embrace every idea presented, but read it, reflect, and I'll bet you find gems that help beat the addiction.

A puzzle has many pieces to find and put in place before solving.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What a difference a week makes! Last Sunday I woke up with a pounding head, shaky, sick, full of self loathing....I really did a number on myself and perhaps there was some purpose in that. Today I wake up full of energy and hope. I will not stand on a soap box and promise the world that "I've got it this time FOR SURE", but there has been a shift. My greatest take away from Jason Vale's book is....."I am not missing anything when I don't drink and all that I thought it was doing for me was in fact all an illusion!" I had a great weekend and there was alcohol around me at all times. I did not try replace it or romanticize it. I simply get it in my head that there was nothing to miss! As a result, no cravings, no "bitchiness" around those who were drinking and no self pity. I felt in control and content.....even in my long stretch of sobriety I never really felt content so this is new.

For anyone who is a chronic relapser like I have been....KEEP TRYING!!! You never know what will finally bring about the shift.

Thanks again SR for being here!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
quat

Why not get a soapbox?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Perhaps I'll check Amazon for one!