Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Symphony of Science - Scientists become rock stars!

Symphony of Science - Scientists become rock stars!

Old 01-08-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Symphony of Science - Scientists become rock stars!

Hi all. I've noticed Carl Sagan's name cropping up a few times in this forum, and it reminded me of a series I discovered at a time when I was very depressed. It's uplifting, enlightening and inspiring stuff, and it helped me along. I'm hoping it might do the same for others by sharing it here.

Symphony of Science is a music project created by Washington-based electronic musician John Boswell. The project seeks to "spread scientific knowledge and philosophy through musical remixes." Boswell uses pitch-corrected audio and video samples from television programs featuring popular scientists and educators. The audio and video clips are mixed into digital mashups and scored with Boswell's original compositions.

Unruly Media, a viral video tracking service, first charted "A Glorious Dawn" on September 21, 2009. A month later, the video had received more than a million views and was ranked in the music category on YouTube as one of the top rated videos of all time. On November 9, 2009, Third Man Records released a 7-inch single of "A Glorious Dawn" for the 75th anniversary of the birth of Carl Sagan.

Thats right, it's all our favorite scientific, philosophical & educational programs/lectures re-mixed in musical format; featuring the likes of Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Richard Feynman, Neil deGrass Tyson, Bill Nye, Richard Dawkins, David Attenborough, Jane Goodall to name a few…

There are over 20 songs in the series so far, the ones I picked here are not necessarily my favorite but among the first, and most can be found below...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4EE4355ADEBDB1

There is also a spin off series, titled 'Remixes for the Soul' featuring none other than Bruce Lee, Alan Watts, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Yoda and many more. I love these too, some are great fun and picking just one will be very hard for me!

And again, most can be found below...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B&spfreload=10

Due to copyright issues and the like, not everything is availabe on Youtube, but if you find yourself enjoying these (its hard not to right?), everything is available to download on the Symphony of Science website below. For free!

Symphony of Science - Scientists become rock stars // A project by melodysheep

I hope somebody else here can enjoy these as much as I have done. Peace
Old 01-08-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I love that concept, scientists and physicists and mathematicians being respected and treated as rock stars. In his day, Einstein became so famous that he would be stopped on the street by admirers, and he would say, 'Pardon me, sorry! Always I am mistaken for Professor Einstein'.

To me, people like Sagan and Feynman and de Grasse Tyson are modern day heroes. I get sad when I see ignorance celebrated instead of quietly set aside in favor of insight and understanding.

I find it comforting to hear Sagan and Hawking speak like this - this Symphony of Science is uplifting and inspiring. Thanks very much!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is cool, I have seen some of them before. Thanks for sharing here.

I'm a scientist myself and have colleagues with an audiovisual bent who make somewhat similar things for educational purposes.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Thanks stratman. I'm partial to the second video.

I greatly admire the ability's of many of the individuals, in these videos, particularly Feynman and Hawking.

Hopefully these videos, and/or things like them, will inspire some to seek a better understanding of some of the ideas presented. That would be the greatest tribute, to both the individuals and to the method.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome guys. Yep, very cool and I love the concept as well. The guy has really perfected his idea, gotta admire that too.

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Thanks stratman. I'm partial to the second video.

I greatly admire the ability's of many of the individuals, in these videos, particularly Feynman and Hawking.
I'm partial to that one also! It's possibly my favorite, rich musically & a powerful message. Gotta admit I hadn't heard of Feynman before and a couple of others across the pond, neither had I considered a lot of the information presented in these, at least in long time. Very good

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I'm a scientist myself and have colleagues with an audiovisual bent who make somewhat similar things for educational purposes.
Nice. I still enjoy this sort of thing. Message me some links if you like?

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I love that concept, scientists and physicists and mathematicians being respected and treated as rock stars. In his day, Einstein became so famous that he would be stopped on the street by admirers, and he would say, 'Pardon me, sorry! Always I am mistaken for Professor Einstein'.

To me, people like Sagan and Feynman and de Grasse Tyson are modern day heroes. I get sad when I see ignorance celebrated instead of quietly set aside in favor of insight and understanding.

I find it comforting to hear Sagan and Hawking speak like this - this Symphony of Science is uplifting and inspiring. Thanks very much!
Good story about Einstein there, true humility. Yeah I definitely appreciate those guys. I used to feel the same as you, particularly within my own family when I was on this tip and would be forced to concede to watching 'Jersey Shore' and the like. Made me angry sometimes! Now I've matured a bit, I'd rather spend my energy just 'enjoying the thing' myself, whatever it may be. Everyone is on their own path.

Glad you found it comforting too, another good word. They are a work of art IMO.

I recommend downloading the album from the website, as they are arranged musically as opposed to chronologically with some bonus material as well. The videos are great but it's a different experience, another great piece of work anyway.

Peace
Old 01-09-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love it! Thanks for sharing I'm a fan of all these guys, even Carlin and Hicks.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

x2 Especially Bill Hicks! Yep, the 'Remixes for the Soul' project is not too shabby either, lots of deep stuff in there.

Lee, Watts, Yoda et all, those guys were masters. There is two albums of that stuff on the website also
Old 01-09-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, Hicks was a trip I just discovered him last year, lol. I'm impressed by what he did.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, I was totally enamored by him for a while! I have 3 of his DVD's. You could say he was a cynic but, no denying he was a comedic genius and ahead of his time.

Theres a documentary of his life, its the official one with all his friends, his family, unseen footage, the people who worked with him etc.

'American: The Bill Hicks Story' it's called, it's very good. I read his book as well 'Love all the people' some years ago
Old 01-09-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you for sharing!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Thank you for posting this. It really helped me out. I didn't even know who Hicks was. I watched a few of his videos on youtube last night. I can't believe I almost missed out on that. My dad had a George Carlin 7 dirty words album when I was young and listening to it in private was my FU to the cult when I was a kid. He will always be a favorite for me. Figured out what those "your missing something" messages meant. I have been living in a bubble my whole life. First a cult bubble, then a work to survive bubble, then a drunk bubble.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hicks is buried 2.5 hours from where I live Had no idea. I wish he'd lived longer, it's really a sad thing he died from pancreatic cancer. I want to get that documentary Stratman mentioned.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Silentrun, I am glad for you that you're out of the bubbles now
Old 01-09-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think the doc is on Youtube too Soberjennie. No worries MidnightBlue

Haha @ silentrun, man good for you. Some guys I worked with used to rave about him, it wasn't until a couple of years later when I was living alone I started watching his stuff. Someone posted a clip and I went from there. Watched some clips, then his shows, then the book etc. It suited how I was feeling at the time, or was it an escape from that? I'm not sure, anyhow I'm kind of grown out of all that now. I still appreciate his wit though!

Think I stumbled on Carlin myself, probably from watching comedy clips. He was funny too. Here is one for you http://youtu.be/a3asbkY0tTE

I love these remix/mash-up things in general, I appreciate the production that goes into them. Peace
Old 01-09-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Silentrun, I am glad for you that you're out of the bubbles now
Thanks. I think I am still stuck in a recovery bubble and that's the problem. Ahhh S T R E A C H...
I like threads like this because it is not specifically recovery related but it still lets me keep my lifeline to SR in case I have trouble later.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it's ok to be stuck in a recovery bubble for a while
Old 01-09-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks! I really enjoyed them! My kids will think they're a real hoot too Made me smile.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Pogo

Welcome zenchaser thats good. Depends what age I guess.
Seeing as you mentioned it, and we are already gone O/T I may as well come full circle with this thread.

There's another guy doing something similar to this (well there are many, but another exceptionally good one).
Instead of science/philosophy programmes the subject matter is children's movies. Disney have hired him since, his name is 'Pogo'

Christopher Nicholas "Nick" Bertke (born 26 July 1988), better known by his stage name Pogo, is an electronic music artist from Perth, Western Australia. His work consists of recording small sounds, quotes, and melodies from a film or a specific scene, and sequencing the sounds together to form a new piece of music. In most of his works, the newly-created piece of music consists solely of the sounds he samples from those films or scenes, without additional, 'external' music or sound effects.
Here's some examples;

Thats just a quick pick there are literally a ton of them, most popular movies/shows have had the makeover and theres many I haven't seen yet.
Here's his Youtube channel, he has a bunch of albums released and does tours etc http://www.youtube.com/user/Fagottron

And there is also a side project! 'World remix', funded by kickstarter
The goal of my project is to travel the world capturing sights, sounds, voices and chords, and use them to compose and shoot a track and video for each major culture of the world. It will be funded solely by you the listener, and will be released worldwide on CD, DVD, and on my website PogoMix.net.
Here's one;

Pretty cool! Not sure where that project is at or haven't seen any of his recent mixes, but the guy's got talent. Good concepts...

Peace
Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey.

Originally Posted by haennie View Post

Nice. I still enjoy this sort of thing. Message me some links if you like?
Unfortunately I can't show or link those more entertaining things as they are regulated by intellectual property release, and I would be in trouble.

Here is some neuro crazy stuff I find cool, though, and I had a minor involvement in putting it together:

And something more serious about addiction:
Old 01-09-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you Stratman and everyone else for the videos!!

I am in fact experiencing depression in early recovery here and videos like this actually captivate me in times of what I feel is complete anhedonia. Thank you! Very cool stuff.