Just watched a doc called Happy.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just watched a doc called Happy.

Very interesting and nice to see a film about what makes people happy. Here's a clip if you want to watch the whole thing I watched it on Netflix.

I don't want to just be sober, I want to be happy and sober

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF6jph_f64I
Old 01-06-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

It was an interesting documentary. However, I am cautious to pursue happiness as and end goal. There was an interesting article in the Atlantic you might like: There's More to Life Than Being Happy - The Atlantic
Old 01-07-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just speaking for myself, I think we waste time looking for the meaning to our lives. We can't find it, we must actively choose it.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Just speaking for myself, I think we waste time looking for the meaning to our lives. We can't find it, we must actively choose it.
I think this is a very important point. I agree there is too much emphasis on searching for some external, universal meaning to life. It is whatever we choose it to be, and it is as temporary as our own life.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Actually a point they make in the film is that external things don't make people happy.. .it's more about cooperation, community, overcoming obstacles, accomplishing goals or activities that have no monetary gain. They say that the happiest people are the ones who recover quickly from tragedies and that you can't have happiness without pain and difficulties.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That was a good article, thanks. I keep thinking that I should volunteer somewhere... there are plenty of places I could here in Toronto. Now that winter is here and I see some of the poor homeless people, it's heartbreaking, they could certainly use all the help they can get. Or woman's shelters, having left a bad marriage myself I would like to do something to contribute to helping other women and their children.