Wish I'd Read Rational Recovery Sooner!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by BlueFairy View Post
Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
BF,

You've mentioned a drink a day somewhere down the road for yourself. For myself, that kind of drinking was never of interest. But I'm curious as to why you believe you have to wait until later on to have one drink a day. It seems to me it's just as good an example of mature drinking today, as it might be sometime down the road.

GT
Because I read your av is satisfied if you tell it such. It could be 200 years the date and it's supposed to satisfy it. I doubt at 87 I could become a big alkie again--I mean it took 4 years of nightly drinking to do that and I'd hope I was a little wiser by then.
Choosing a drinking plan that satisfies the Addictive Voice is the opposite of practicing Addictive Voice Recognition Technique. For me to do what you are planning, I would be setting AVRT aside and be engaging in moderation planning.

The only aspect of time that my Beast understands is "never". To IT, a day, month, year, decade, or century would be a great start as a temporary period of abstinence.

Once it is settled that it's a great plan for me to drink some more later on, it's just a matter of reasoning out why it is just as sensible to enjoy a glass of wine now that I've got my act together as it is when I'm 87. It's all a quite rational process that many Beasts enjoy in their hosts who either don't know AVRT, or have chosen not to practice it.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Brand new to RR and AVRT, but just did the crash course and WOW, all I can say is wow! After 14 months in AA the meetings started leaving me 'wanting' to drink or at least accepting that an inevitable relapse was certain and almost necessary for my recovery. I finally caved this past weekend and after 14 months I drank again...it was a one time event, but still the guilt and shame that always accompany s the aftermath was very present! Really excited about this new approach and for the first time I actually feel a sense of hope!

I will never drink again and I will never change my mind!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

I purchased the book Thursday 7/23/15 and finished it today 7/28/15, all thanks to freshstart57's pinned post at the top of the SC forum...the perfect formula for success! 26 days but who's counting any more!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3456630

I do plan on re-reading it again soon.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I too wish that I had read Rational Recovery years ago, if you haven't had a chance read it,get it,for every user who wants/needs to quit its a must read😊
Old 01-08-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I remember it. It was very empowering, if on the angry side. I tried to find it on audible. No luck, but found other recovery goodies.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Recovery is inevitable, never a miracle!

I did like SOME of the concepts from AA but really my alarm bells were ringing so often that it just didn't work for me. It was just far too often that things would be talked about that literally had nothing to do with sobriety, and it's infuriating that when you raise any sort of critisism or even ask a question it's just met with a sort of smugness and a "Just keep coming to meetings", which doesn't answer any questions and left me very confused.

I thought AA would be a place for people recovering from addiction to share experiences and tips on what works, but instead there was this strange, melancholy atmosphere where everyone just spoke as if they were DOOMED..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like somebody else has done,
the above is worth quoting again, i am so relieved to be out of the co-dependent clone-like mindset of people in meetings!
I went back a couple of months ago to see some friends and nearly pulled my hair out listening to the exactly the same emotional disorders i had listened to 5 years previously from the same people!
The brainwashing and misinformation in AA is frightening and yet i never saw it while i was deep in it!
While in the UK on my last visit i attended a non secular meeting and it felt like being let out of the asylum... freedom of speech and freedom from the nonsense that servitude to God is the only solution....