SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Alternative Treatments & Aftercare (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/341597-alternative-treatments-aftercare.html)

GardenMama 08-10-2014 09:45 AM

Alternative Treatments & Aftercare

Hey SR Friends,

I usually post and read in the Friends and Family of Substance Abusers, but I am casting a wide net today. I have been asked to write an article for a recovery newspaper about Alternative Addiction Treatment Centers & Aftercare...I am looking for some good leads from this generous community of experts! Thanks in advance.

Gardenmama

FeenixxRising 08-10-2014 01:07 PM

I suspect (but I'm not sure) that many of us who post here haven't used an alternative treatment center. From what I can tell, many of us got sober either on our own or by using non-12 Step methods without using a treatment facility. Others probably used treatment center that was either 12-Step based or aligned with 12-Step methodology.

However, I hope you do find some leads for this subject, as it is an important subject, and it is not reported on much in the media.

I do have one suggestion. SMART Recovery as an active forum, you may want to ask the same question on that site.

AncientHighway 08-11-2014 05:44 AM

Do such things even exist? I have found resources for finding "conventional" treatment centers and aftercare to be spotty at best. Alternatives? I dunno... This IS an important subject. I have been to 12-step meetings. I have been to programs. I found my way to "clean and sober" elsewhere. There must be more than a few of us that found our sobriety outside of 12-step groups and programs. How did we do it? How do we continue? I am beginning to understand my answers to these questions. What have been the experiences of others? How does one meet others who have followed a similar path? There should be alternatives.

Eddiebuckle 08-11-2014 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by AncientHighway (Post 4833730)
I found my way to "clean and sober" elsewhere.

This is an important question, I know that I was reluctant to go to any rehab that was "religious." I did ultimately go to one which offered the most science / medically based program in my area; I was unaware that one facet of their treatment was 12 step recovery.

I am sure there are others in need of help who have declined treatment for this reason, and that lives are being lost daily as a result. Any compilation of alternatives that get people on the road to recovery would be a valuable tool for those considering sobriety.

anattaboy 08-11-2014 07:42 AM

Such a list would be a great resource for some. I tapered at home with supplements and made out well but would like to see more medically supervised "organic" centers.

SoberHoopsFan 08-11-2014 12:31 PM

Although I suspect no one on these forums could have afforded to go there, the Passages treatment center in Malibu is not 12-step based and its program runs counter to most of the principles of the 12 steps. It's founded by Pax & Chris Prentiss, they also have a book out called "The Alcoholism & Addiction Cure," which details the program but also reads like an extended advertisement for the treatment center. It's still a good read though.

I've also heard other treatment facilities offer residents SMART meetings in addition to AA meetings.

Morning Glory 08-11-2014 03:42 PM

Here is a link from our main site.

Non 12 Step Rehab Centers and Recovery Programs : SoberRecovery

AncientHighway 08-13-2014 06:04 AM

not sure if it's the way that page is formatted or ? but my first impression is "advertisement" and while many feature words like "luxury", "sauna", "costa rica" and "all the amenities" there are a few that sound interesting, possibly effective? (hard to say without more research) BUT unfortunately I have a feeling most are REALLY expensive... <sigh>

JaeRae 09-01-2014 11:49 PM

Turning Point Centers in Sandy Utah is residential non 12 step dual diagnosis program. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is the mainstay of therapy. I stayed for 6 weeks and recommend it to anyone. It's not perfect but no place is. But I believe it was the best out there. It's not cheap per se but insurance covers it and in comparison it's cheaper than other residential programs.

There is also an online program called Recovery Help. It's video conferencing so you do it from home. It starts as an IOP and then a recovery prevention and then maintenance. Also not 12 step.

I hope this helps!

freshstart57 09-02-2014 04:17 AM

Welcome to SoberRecovery, JaeRae, thanks for your post. Hope you stick around to share your experience.