Frustration or Insensitivity?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't here when the secular forum was shut down either.

In any case, I didn't intend this thread to become a metacritical discussion.

I can tell you what the rules are - and why they are what they are - which is what I did after NW's post...but I'm just helping out.

I haven't removed any posts from this thread, bar one.

I don't know about other sites, but here, I call that a win

If you have any comments complaints or suggestions you need to direct them, via PM, to the assigned mods/admins.

D
Old 07-08-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey Robby! LTNS
Old 07-08-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Rather than us tiptoeing around, perhaps it's time to move this Thread, as you suggested. What do others here think?
I think this is same old same old in as much as you cant please everyone all the time anyways, so why pretend that rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic will in the end make much difference, you know?

I guess the other thing is who's tiptoeing around, lol.

Hey Trach!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

the most prevelant recovery method can't be talked about in a critical manner. the problem is that's hard to avoid because it's not just the program it's all the philosophies the program has adopted that controls the recovery culture...the disease model..the

rules of alcoholism...the term alcoholism itself etc..it's very much ingrained in the culture..not just in recovery circles...if it was just science or a philosophy I don't think people would mind criticism or skepticism...but it's not that..it's something else entirely
Old 07-08-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

It can be talked about in a critical manner. Just not in this forum is all. Isn't it the conversation which is important? Why does that conversation have to happen here?
Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

My 1st day on this sight...& I must say, I found your thread rather dismissive - glad for you however that you have such willpower.
Kind regards Kally
Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
FT

Kally,

This thread would not be the best place for a Newcomer to "sample" what's available on SR.

Secular Connections looks at alternatives to "mainstream" recovery methods. And a better "sample" of this section would be found among the stickies at the top of the page.

Sorry you don't like us.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
the most prevelant recovery method can't be talked about in a critical manner. the problem is that's hard to avoid because it's not just the program it's all the philosophies the program has adopted that controls the recovery culture...the disease model..the

rules of alcoholism...the term alcoholism itself etc..it's very much ingrained in the culture..not just in recovery circles...if it was just science or a philosophy I don't think people would mind criticism or skepticism...but it's not that..it's something else entirely
I agree, the philosophies of the program are followed as if they are "science" by many in the medical profession, it's so intertwined with societal understanding of addiction that it is hard to separate the two. But really, is anyone surprised a program created by religious types with religious underpinnings is at the forefront (especially in America)? Often our society comes down to "my invisible man in the sky is better than yours, and if you don't believe, you are doomed to eternal misery and a horrible afterlife".

Addiction is behavior and physiology. I don't see how religion has anything to do with it, but you can interject religion into anything I suppose.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by FT View Post
Sorry you don't like us.
Really? All Kally gave was her opinion, and done in a manner that didn't offer any offense whatsoever. Anybody can post here of course. This isn't a secret hand-shake club, lol, for those "in the know". And yet you put it on her that she may not be able to fully appreciate what is going on in this thread, and then you cap that with an apologist attitude.

Wow.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

I posted earlier about sorting things and ideas, and maybe this applies to the turn the discussion has taken.

Years ago I realize I hoard. Things, weight, food, stuff, clothes and maybe that is like my addiction. Somehow thinking more was the answer and would keep me safe.

And so along with my recovery I got rid of stuff and saw I could do without rather easily, it was a relief to not have to protect everything and worry over it.

And we can do that with an idea or belief. Feel like if we don't keep it and defend it that we might lose everything. And maybe pad more and more belief and details, like a beaver putting more mud and sticks on a damn.

everything starts to look like the enemy.

i lived that way for a long time. I believed that my things were an extendsion of me so I had to protect them. I thought drinking was too. I thought my ideas were me and had to defend every one. I was at war with life.

did you ever meet a person and when you say "hello!" they say "oh yeah, what did you mean by that?"
Old 07-08-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
FT

Describing the posts on this thread as "dismissive," followed by a "good for you" comment seems pretty clear to me.

I do not think I expressed an "apologist" attitude. I really am sorry she doesn't like us, and I thought it helpful to point out the stickies to someone who may not know they are up there for a reason.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
And we can do that with an idea or belief. Feel like if we don't keep it and defend it that we might lose everything. And maybe pad more and more belief and details, like a beaver putting more mud and sticks on a damn.

everything starts to look like the enemy.

i lived that way for a long time. I believed that my things were an extendsion of me so I had to protect them. I thought drinking was too. I thought my ideas were me and had to defend every one. I was at war with life.

did you ever meet a person and when you say "hello!" they say "oh yeah, what did you mean by that?"
Archelon, great insight I love that post.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

You assume too much is what I'm bringing to my discussion with you on the meaningfulness of Kally's opinion. You then take your assumption and proceed to give advice on something that is entirely based on your assumptions being valid, when in fact your clueless on the worth of your assumptions since her opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

In any case, let's now agree to disagree FT, as we are both aware this is not a private discussion thread. I'm satisfied. Thanks for your response.
For all I know, she might come back and thank you and tell me to take a look at myself, lol.

Take it easy, FT.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

"Alcoholic" is the rest of society's term for people who drink too much alcohol. It's just a convenient way to refer to those whose addictions involve consuming alcohol. I think only those within the recovery and addictions (and psychology, neuroscience, etc) industry nitpick over "true alcoholism" or the "science" of alcoholism, etc.

When I hear someone refer to themselves as an addict I think, ok that person has an addiction problem involving drugs of some sort. Same with alcohol. I personally think of myself as an addict (because alcohol is a drug), though many in a certain recovery paradigm make a distinction between addicts and alcoholics... and I don't think the distinction is scientific, it's for practicality and solidarity. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's one way of thinking.

My thoughts on programs like AA, and some of the mindfulness approaches such as the one where Alan Marlatt studied Vipassana buddhist meditation technique and its effect on drinkers... without indicating my preferences about them, I'd like to point out that they are creative. Quite creative. And whenever there's a need for something new, novel approaches, creativity seems to be what people tap into in order to solve problems (alcoholism, problem drinking, whatever you wanna call it...).

So does it have to be a hard science for it to work for people? And if it works, does it have to satisfy certain criteria in order to be valid?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
So does it have to be a hard science for it to work for people? And if it works, does it have to satisfy certain criteria in order to be valid?
What works works. The results of our efforts are hands down the best barometer to inform us of our accomplishments both collectively and individually. Validity is a relative valuation we all must make for ourselves, and that's the way I like it aha aha

Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

there is a political guideline for any recovery circle.. for here it's to not talk anything but praise for 12 step regardless of statistics or research. regarless what forum section..talking badly about other methods such as avrt...rational recovery..life ring..seems to be ok..as long as you praise 12 step afterwards and say it's working for you. for .moderation management the gloves are off and anything is allowed bashing wise . stating that moderation management has worked for you or others..regardless if that's true or what research shows..that is off limits and not wanted
Old 07-08-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Cabo, maybe it's the perceived intent behind the praise or criticisms? Isn't there a difference between constructive criticisms and critiques of something you try out and doesn't work well for you, and then proceeding to bash the program(s) because of your experience with it?

I saw Moderation Management work for some people on the forum when I was there. It didn't work for me. I don't bash MM because of it. Those people didn't have the same issues I must have with my drinking, or they were somehow able to make it work despite that, who knows? AVRT was something I used when I first joined SR, but I drank again. I've never thought that AVRT was flawed because of this. I have my opinions about AVRT's efficacy, and I keep this in mind.

But doesn't it come back to motivation and intent when we talk about the efficacy of programs? Are we fighting to fight, or discussing in order to help one another achieve sobriety goals?

Are the people who stand to gain in the political debate on recovery here on this forum? Or are most of us here to give and receive help?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

The alcoholism forum here allows for critical discussion of shared experiences. Bashing isn't allowed on principal of course, since bashing isn't supportive of intelligent disclosure and discussion. Praise of whatever is not a requirement for discussion either, imo.

It makes no sense to join as a member and then offer critical posts to the very rules which must be agreed with to be a member in the first place. The rules exist not to control freedom of discussion but rather they exist and are enforced to protect and enrich such discussions for all contributors no matter the differences of personal experiences shared or observed.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

since the recovery community is basically ruled by one single philosophy i believe myths and dogma have to be broken down in order to move forward in recovery and addiction..in this way politics and culture do play a role in future recovery of countless people..you may say

well.such and such person can just take a different path if this way doesn't help him..Is there really a different path? If you go to a addiction therapist what will he do 95% of the time..he will tell you to go to twelve step...if you go to rehab what is the program you are filtered into...if you go to court what do they mandate? if you ask any non addict on the street where do alcoholics go? he will say AA..he will probably know the dogma too and believe it to boot

anyway I don't look down on people who have success in such a program..i just hope they see the control they have on culture and the recovery comunity
Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

The rules apply to protect the forum.

It's not just that 12 Step members will come in and defend their program, but the rules also keep the RR members out who have the sole intention of bashing the 12 step groups and that can get brutal.

If we open it up to all you are asking for we might as well shut it down because we already have that on the alcoholism forum.

This forum has done a lot of good without having to bring in all the criticism of other methods and the constant debates that take over the whole forum.

I don't have any stake in the methods here. I started the forum for our secular members and worked very hard to make it work. I am the one who had to close it down a few years ago for a few days when it got so out of hand.

It took a few years to allow AVRT discussions because no one could do it without the bashing. I have a lot of appreciation for TU for his contribution that finally got it started well here. Many people have been helped since then.

This forum is also not just for those who use AVRT. It is for all secular members.

It works this way.