SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Thoughts? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/335102-thoughts.html)

Serenidad 06-12-2014 11:44 AM

Thoughts?

I'm thinking of starting Rational Recovery. Does anyone work this program & if so, do you like it?

Thx! :-)

Jen

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery

doggonecarl 06-12-2014 11:50 AM

Good for you. Lot of people swear by it. I've seen others who seem to struggle with any kind of recovery program. As with any method, you get out of it what you put in to it. Put RR into practice, you are bound to succeed.

FeenixxRising 06-12-2014 12:39 PM

I've been using it with success. There are other members here with far more sober time than me who use RR's AVRT method. As Carl pointed out, it's a matter of commitment. With AVRT, you commit to quitting, once and for all, as in I" will never drink again, and I will never change my mind". You then use recognition of the addictive voice to keep that commitment.

I suggest reading and giving some deep thought to the material in the quick course on the RR website, and I also suggest reading and studying the book Rational Recovery; The New Cure for Substance Addiction. Cheap copies can be bought on half.com

And of course, participate on this sub-forum if you have questions or concerns.

Good luck.

Serenidad 06-12-2014 01:45 PM

Thanks Dogg & Feenix! I have tried AA & it just isn't for me. I watched some videos on RR and have begun reading about it on the RR website. It looks promising! :)

Greenwood618 06-12-2014 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jen042208 (Post 4712627)
I'm thinking of starting Rational Recovery. Does anyone work this program & if so, do you like it?

Thx! :-)

Jen

It is not a program

anattaboy 06-12-2014 04:17 PM

Yes Jen I believe it can work for you. Just reading Freshstart57's post on "AVRT explained gave me the push I needed to just stop 2 weeks into a taper and I'm now 2 days without. I now identify myself as someone who does not drink--and NEVER will. Like you years of AA "powerlessness" never quite made too much sense to me-and always left an open door. This method removes the door completely and puts solid concrete in it's place.

FeenixxRising 06-12-2014 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Greenwood618 (Post 4712945)
It is not a program

Yes Jen, AVRT is not a program, there are no meetings, no sponsors, no Steps to work etc. The creator describes it as a "thinking skill" in his book.

topspin 06-17-2014 08:17 PM

Hi Jen,

Once I was able to connect any reversal of intent to my *Big Plan* commitment with a moral disaster, it became more clear what RR was about.

I no longer see sobriety as a self improvement move ( although clearly it is )
For me drinking is more akin to purse snatching, ...

Something I can easily see as morally reprehensible.

Have you begun to read any of the 5 closed threads here on SR about the technique. Many believe it may be one of the best resources explaining the finer points of AVRT.

I was lucky to read much of it real time, but that doesn't make it any more poignant imo. I think it's just as valuable read today, ...just not aired *live* so to speak