Saying hi

Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
FT

Wow, I never!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I was was going to comment on the absolute stuff too, but point taken and I agree.

It was agreed (with my employer) that I would would complete "Chemical Dependency Assessment" (rather vague) and follow the recommendations. I went in for a voluntary Rule 25 assessment (Frequently asked questions) and it will only be released to me.

I answered honestly and my by own assessment i would be mainly in the top row here: https://www.courts.state.mn.us/docum...order_0806.pdf

I am concerned about the long-term ramification of the outcome of the assessment, not for their recommendations and etc, but rather for, as you point out, my "permanent record."

I hope/assume HIPPA provides some level of protection for me here, but I am willing to be told otherwise (hopefully illustrated by example or first-hand experience).

To fulfill the agreement with my employer, I am considering engaging e.g. Home - Muscala Chemical Health Clinic - or, if there are any other suggestions I'm all ears.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Notdrunkrg, have you taken the AVRT "crash course?"
Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I have no interest in the least in political correctness or any other sort of ideas that purport to address perceived discrimination against any group whatsoever. My experience with medical professionals, 3 for 3, does not support your quoted statement in any of the aspects you listed. They did not prescribe group therapy, did not dismiss self help, and do not subscribe to any disease model of addiction.

This is neither grammar nor semantics. Egg sandwich in a smoking pipe? Really?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Notdrunkrg, have you taken the AVRT "crash course?"
yep. and I will finish up the RR book tonight I imagine.

the entirety of the thought process is very comfortable to me. reading the supporting material steels my resolve and is frankly exhilarating.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Good one, kudos
Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FT View Post
Wow, I never!
Good one, kudos
Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notdrunkrg View Post
I was was going to comment on the absolute stuff too, but point taken and I agree.

It was agreed (with my employer) that I would would complete "Chemical Dependency Assessment" (rather vague) and follow the recommendations. I went in for a voluntary Rule 25 assessment (Frequently asked questions) and it will only be released to me.

I answered honestly and my by own assessment i would be mainly in the top row here: https://www.courts.state.mn.us/docum...order_0806.pdf

I am concerned about the long-term ramification of the outcome of the assessment, not for their recommendations and etc, but rather for, as you point out, my "permanent record."

I hope/assume HIPPA provides some level of protection for me here, but I am willing to be told otherwise (hopefully illustrated by example or first-hand experience).

To fulfill the agreement with my employer, I am considering engaging e.g. Home - Muscala Chemical Health Clinic - or, if there are any other suggestions I'm all ears.
HIPAA protects to the extent if CNN walks up to your health care provider with cameras rolling they say we cannot legally tell you about the drunk care we give our clients.

But if the government, the insurance company of a future employer or a lawyer with a court order if you are involved in a civil lawsuit shows up, they will cough up your medical/mental health/substance abuse treatment records faster than a long throated Astabula River spotted toad who swallowed a bootful of safety pins.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Well, I didn't run it through my insurance. As to whether or not that helps me maintain privacy, I'm not certain.

Anyone here familiar with what information may be recorded in what databases?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Basic bio info, diagnosis, treatment plan, doctor notes, employment history, psych profile, legal/criminal history, insurance claim history, family/marital status. Basically, eveeything.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I talked to the provider of the service. They are a private non-profit with staff who complete the 30hr course required by state (as well as holding approp certs) to administer Rule 25 assessments.

They stated the information is not submitted to any centralized database, but of course they store the records. Their largest "customer" is the district court, and the very large majority of their "clients" are court ordered to go through with the assessment and further to release the info to the court. Voluntary walk-ins paying cash are a rare exception.

Given it's not submitted to or integrated with another organization's database (provided they are not lying to me) then a querier would need to approach this organization directly, and, per my conv, the query would need to be accompanied by a subpoena, presumably with some kind of backing justification (which of course could be quite broadly/open/full of holes).

This has certainly piqued my curiosity (in hindsight...) I've requested a conv with the director of the organization (I spoke with a front-end administrative-type..) and inquire about permanent destruction.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
FT

This is why I am vehemently opposed to everybody's medical records being stored "on line", which is the way managed care is taking us.

"Safety" and "convenience" are often-quoted reasons for doing this, but -- just like embarrassing Facebook pics -- anything that has EVER been stored electronically in the "cloud" is accessible. Sure, there will be blocks and buffers, but one should presume that electronic data is not ultimately "safe."

The good news is that recovery from substances is now viewed more positively, as long as the person's trajectory is linear in the "right" direction. However, never trust that your information is safe and secure.

You can request that you be unnamed or anonymous in the medical record. You can also request that certain interviews and information be kept "off the record."

Your paper medical records are actually your property, by the way. Few people know that, and medical providers often do not know that. To get them, you can ask -- but sometimes it takes legal action to take them off the premises entirely. But then, they may already have been scanned. And, these days, many medical facilities use ONLY electronic records.

Bad idea, in my opinion. Privacy? What privacy?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Indeed. In my line of work I deal with a lot of security theatre - I've known since the first time I signed on to a BBS that if it's electronically stored, transmitted or processed, it is de facto no longer yours. As you say, privacy (in the colloquial sense) is a farce.

This forum, clearly, is public, and a sufficiently capable and motivated person could certainly discover my real world identity. The "capability" bar is pretty low too.

I am now curious as to the potential de jure impact of allowing the info to be stored with this entity is, especially when it comes to mechanical/automatic processes.

On the other hand, if someone has it out for me, they have it out for me, and will know everything they want to know about me, if sufficiently capable and motivated.

But that's a sidebar. After my talk with the director I may run it in another thread "for the record" so my investigation work isn't lost.

RR book not quite complete, will wrap it up this AM. 7 days no booze, but hmmf big deal for being a normal responsible person. Feels nice though, and my mind is in a place it's never been before.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

As Jack would say, by Jove, I think he's got it!

You are now recovered. You are a non drinker. Avoid all recovery groups, never discuss your past drinking, recognize all thoughts of drinking as AV and set your confidence level at one hundred percent.