trying to quit....

Old 05-11-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to quit....

Hello all.. I can't wait to quit and not be scared to death of withdrawals every day.. I'm currently on day 3 of tapering down, 5 more days to go on my schedule, I assume these will be the hardest ones given the fact that I have been trying to taper down for 4 months with little success. I get to 4 a day and then I talk myself into having just one more (with the most absurd reasoning) and suddenly I'm right back up to 8... this is the first time I've set a schedule though and also the first time posting about this stuff... I hope this combination will help me quit for good.

Also I'm an athiest that's why I'm posting here...

Well any tips on quitting from those that have been there? I imagine a life free of this pain will be so very very wonderful......
Old 05-11-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi cheese...are you quitting alcohol or a different drug? A medically supervised detox is always recommended, just in case. I've not had success with tapering alcohol.

Yes, a life free of addiction is wonderful. You can have it too!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah alcohol.. I will be taking the next steps and talk to a Dr if I can't do it this time... I'm beyond ready to be done with all this. I have tapered once before about 2 years ago and it took me a couple tries before I just stuck to it.... I wish I hadn't started drinking again, I don't even remember why or when I just did. it wasn't bad like this at first.. The slippery slope i feel like I want to bottle all this misery up and remind myself every time I think a drink would be ok in the future that it just is not..
Old 05-11-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
You can take the option of drinking off the table for good.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hello CheeseQ,

and yes, you can do this. look around, check out the AVRT thread(s); those discussions will help with the absurd reasoning you mention....

welcome to you.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Woke up this morning and felt so good.. I can't wait to be done completely!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How you feelin' today Cheese?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Doing good right now.. I was a bit shaky this morning but it passed.. Still tapering till Friday, but sticking to the schedule.. Looking forward to freedom this weekend....... Reading some of the posts around here have really helped me too.. When I get kind of that weird boredom/anxiety feeling it helps to just read read read...
Old 05-13-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you Cheese, day # 3. Reading here really helps. Bought the book "Feeling Good" and started that, " Rational Recovery" is on its way.
Starting to sleep better and find that I'm really hungry and thirsty all the time. Can't remember hunger pangs like this when I was drinking.
Hang in there!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good on both of you...hang in!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I read for hours about addiction and alcoholism during those first few days. I drank a lot of water and ate a lot of fruit, some light meals. I tried to eat very simply, no processed stuff, and supplemented with B vitamins. I was very shaky and jittery, insomnia, night sweats too. After a week I guess, I started to sleep through the night, something I hadn't experienced in years. My digestive system started working again, and then my senses, all my senses, became more acute. It was a very exciting time.

To ease my anxiety, I learned about mindfulness, 'following the breath'. This helped to silence that awful negative self talk, and led to acceptance of all that stuff that was over and done with. Above all of this was the sheer joy and relief of knowing that I didn't have to drink ever again.

CheeseQ and Sobrietea, you two are doing fabulously. This is a real triumph of spirit happening right now. Truly awe inspiring. Onward!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobriatea View Post
I'm right there with you Cheese, day # 3. Reading here really helps. Bought the book "Feeling Good" and started that, " Rational Recovery" is on its way.
Starting to sleep better and find that I'm really hungry and thirsty all the time. Can't remember hunger pangs like this when I was drinking.
Hang in there!
Thanks! Can't wait till I have an appetite again, and sleep properly.. I will have to look into 'feeling good' ... I remember how vivid things seemed last time I quit.. Don't know why on earth I sacrificed all that for this haze and turmoil.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I read for hours about addiction and alcoholism during those first few days. I drank a lot of water and ate a lot of fruit, some light meals. I tried to eat very simply, no processed stuff, and supplemented with B vitamins. I was very shaky and jittery, insomnia, night sweats too. After a week I guess, I started to sleep through the night, something I hadn't experienced in years. My digestive system started working again, and then my senses, all my senses, became more acute. It was a very exciting time.

To ease my anxiety, I learned about mindfulness, 'following the breath'. This helped to silence that awful negative self talk, and led to acceptance of all that stuff that was over and done with. Above all of this was the sheer joy and relief of knowing that I didn't have to drink ever again.

CheeseQ and Sobrietea, you two are doing fabulously. This is a real triumph of spirit happening right now. Truly awe inspiring. Onward!
I'm just glad to hear from people that have been there and survived.. I literally cried at work today reading some of this stuff..
Old 05-14-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A big hurdle for me was somehow accepting the shame and guilt and regret and the garbage of my past, and accepting the fear and uncertainty of the future. I was really terrified to think of a life without alcohol. The answer was to keep turning my focus from the depression of the past and the anxiety of the future to the present moment, that moment in which I had vowed to not drink. I used mindfulness to help with this. You can find lots of information about mindfulness and addiction on the web.

Try to remember that there is a brand new person inside you now, bruised and frightened. This person needs you to look after him, to protect him and care for him. Be kind, and generous, and understanding. He will grow and mature and be respected by himself and by those who love him, and you will be so very very proud. Onward!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Thanks for the encouragement Soberlicious and Freshstart!
Great job Cheese--you got this!

Day 4, didn't sleep well at all, feel very grouchy today and my partner is getting on my last nerve, lol. Those heightened senses I guess. :-)
But I have no desire to drink or smoke-yay!

Thanks Freshstart for the reminder about mindfulness. I have been a half assed yogic and buddhist practitioner for many years--could never really build a practice as a drunk. I look forward to putting all that knowledge into practice now. One of my favorite books, "The Power of Now", I think I'll re-read that soon. I have been finding some great meditation videos on Youtube (great source) for relaxation and chakra clearing which do wonders. I think I need some of that right now, lol.
"Rational Recovery" by Jack Trimpey came in the mail today, I got lots to do. ;-)
Thanks guys, I feel better already just sharing. Have agreat day!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes this feeling of terror comes upon me at the thought of never having alcohol again. I chalk it up to my AV talking to me and just imagine my life without booze, how much I have to look forward to and it seems more than worth it to me. Kind of like using mental affirmations--you feel the good feelings in the moment, in the now.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Man I am all over the place today... Anxious one second, exhilarated the next... No desire to drink... But crawling out of my skin a little.. I'm down to 4 today.. Little waves of tremors but nothing terrible.. Muscles are sore now, same thing happen last time I did this.. Drinking loads of green tea.. Sobriety here I come.....
Old 05-16-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Update: I can't do it. I'm down to 4 a day but having symptoms. Made a Dr apt in 6 hours. Cried on the phone with the nurse. Scared I just want this to end
Old 05-16-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you are seeing the doctor. A medical detox is critical in many cases.

It will be over. You will begin to live again. I'm so proud of you.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

One of the hardest phone calls I've ever made. I heard this story a few days ago about a family that died of exposure out on a trail somewhere because they were lost and it rained and the temp dropped.. But they'd ran into some other hikers some time earlier who offered them a ride and they didn't accept. Why didn't they accept the help? They thought they could find their way? That they'd be ok? I feel like those lost hikers, refusing help.. so ok, I give in to my embarrassment, I admit to being ashamed, I need help. I need it today. I needed it a year ago. I'm starting a new job in three weeks, I need a whole new life to go with it.

I've gotta stop crying if I'm going to go back to my office