When will I get this?

Old 06-30-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I have struggled with this as well.
Me too. It's a horrible feeling to think that you can't trust yourself.

Everyone has different ways of framing these hurdles that works for them. For me personally, it helps a lot to remember to forgive myself and to treat myself with compassion. The more I beat myself up, the longer I stay in the dark place that strengthens the desire to drink, or makes me feel hopeless and want to give up.

I understand the AV and Beast concept, but it helps me more to see those voices and desires as a part of me, not a separate thing. The part of me that wants alcohol is the part of me that wants the easy fix, to not have to find other ways to cope with whatever feelings I don't want to feel. It's the part of me that is like a scared unruly child; it throws tantrums, demands, wants without thinking about consequences (or does and doesn't care). When this part of me screws up, I used to make it (me) feel like crap. I still do sometimes because that's what I've been taught - punishment is how you get people to behave, and if it doesn't, punish even harder! But that clearly doesn't work for me or I would have been sober years ago. I respond way better to positive reinforcement; compassion gives me energy to try again, berating and judging drains me of energy and makes me more likely to want to booze more.

So in terms of lying, I don't think I "lied" to myself when I say I will stop and I end up slipping. I see it as the child-me getting the keys to the car and driving off. It's up to adult-me to make sure she doesn't get them again. However you want to look at it, the method you find that will reduce the time you sit on the floor after a fall so you can get up and move on with moving on, the faster this recovery process will be. No matter what happens or worries your mind tortures you with, you know that ultimately, it comes down to a choice, and you DO get to choose.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by NightsWatch View Post
Everyone has different ways of framing these hurdles that works for them.
I agree.

If you want evidence of that, just post the question "What does powerless mean" on the newcomer's board and see how many different responses you get - both from people who believe it pertains to stopping chronic alcohol consumption and those who don't.

People have a natural bias toward the method of sober living that works for them, and will try to help others see the same truth that they see. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Only the individual can determine whether or not it does. Glasshalffull needs to determine what the next move is on the road to his/her sober life.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NightsWatch View Post
Me too. It's a horrible feeling to think that you can't trust yourself.

Everyone has different ways of framing these hurdles that works for them. For me personally, it helps a lot to remember to forgive myself and to treat myself with compassion. The more I beat myself up, the longer I stay in the dark place that strengthens the desire to drink, or makes me feel hopeless and want to give up.

I understand the AV and Beast concept, but it helps me more to see those voices and desires as a part of me, not a separate thing. The part of me that wants alcohol is the part of me that wants the easy fix, to not have to find other ways to cope with whatever feelings I don't want to feel. It's the part of me that is like a scared unruly child; it throws tantrums, demands, wants without thinking about consequences (or does and doesn't care). When this part of me screws up, I used to make it (me) feel like crap. I still do sometimes because that's what I've been taught - punishment is how you get people to behave, and if it doesn't, punish even harder! But that clearly doesn't work for me or I would have been sober years ago. I respond way better to positive reinforcement; compassion gives me energy to try again, berating and judging drains me of energy and makes me more likely to want to booze more.

So in terms of lying, I don't think I "lied" to myself when I say I will stop and I end up slipping. I see it as the child-me getting the keys to the car and driving off. It's up to adult-me to make sure she doesn't get them again. However you want to look at it, the method you find that will reduce the time you sit on the floor after a fall so you can get up and move on with moving on, the faster this recovery process will be. No matter what happens or worries your mind tortures you with, you know that ultimately, it comes down to a choice, and you DO get to choose.
Excellent analysis. As I understand AVRT, those voices and desires ARE part of you. The Beast and the AV are parts of us (albeit primitive and base,) and are totally natural. It is the SEPARATION of these parts from our "higher selves" ; the awareness of how they drive us and try to influence our choices; the ability to "quarantine" them that will help us to remain permanently abstinent.

Although I like to consider the Beast a separate entity; it makes it easier for me to understand; I know it is not and never will be. I must ACCEPT that it is part of me and recognize I have total control over what IT/I does/do.
Tremendously helpful post. Really makes me think.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

In addition, I think if it helps to think of your beast as an "unruly child" then do so. Essentially, it is very child-like in its nature, isn't it? It wants what it wants without logic or reason......it possesses an admirable survival drive. Whatever imagery you choose to represent it doesn't matter at all. I also like what you wrote about self-forgiveness and compassion. It is important to remember these concepts.
Speaking for myself, I had to forgive myself BEFORE I made my Final Decision because that allowed me to release the past. Only then, could I move forward to choose permanent abstinence. Then I'm done. Don't have to worry about the past and the future has taken care of itself because I chose to embrace the concept of NEVER. Compassion comes into play when we remember how awful things were before we became abstinent; we can help and support others (if they request) to become permanently abstinent. I truly appreciate this forum because I may take advantage of the knowledge and insight from others and offer my insight in return.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

The responses to this thread are truly amazing. I think you all get it that a bigger part of me wants sobriety than not. To tame that 'not' bit is what I need to learn how to do.
I feel angry with my AV, so when I think of it or hear that whisper 'have a drink, go on' all I want to do is to tell it to f-off. I want to beat it up. I wonder whether thinking of it as a child might help me more.
So I am back to day one. Right now, I feel strong. It is morning, I know what I did last night, and am not suffering a crippling hangover. So for this part, it is relatively easy. The sense of relief of being sober.
How to face my AV when I am a week or two in, tired, feeling anxious and stressed etc, is what I have to learn. It feels like I have thrown the child the keys to the car in exasperation. I am sure that changes to diet, some exercise and meditation will help me. I know that sounds trite, but I wonder if keeping an even keel is what I need most (as well as using RR tools and reading and checking in here). It seems that when my buttons are pushed, my resolve goes out the window.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Glass, for me the key is "never" and "no matter what". I repeat it as necessary, and especially when the Beast is really acting up. I don't know exactly why it works; although, I'd wager it's the psychological commitment to "never". And repeating "no matter what" lets me stand my ground even during the worst assault from the Beast.

Like you, the two week mark has been pivotal, but I found that staying committed during that period wasn't as difficult this time around.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by glasshalffull View Post
I feel angry with my AV, so when I think of it or hear that whisper 'have a drink, go on' all I want to do is to tell it to f-off. I want to beat it up. I wonder whether thinking of it as a child might help me more.
The child analogy worked for me at times, in the sense that, as a parent, if you give in to a child throwing a tantrum you have just earned yourself some additional tantrums in the future.

It also helped me to understand that the compulsion to drink- the beast - originates in a part of the brain that does not process logic and has no memory. It doesn't know fear. It can't be threatened, intimidated, educated, bargained with, or shamed. The only way to influence it is to feed it and make it stronger or starve it and make it weaker. When seeking a sober life the choice is obvious.

The part of your brain making that choice (to feed it or starve it) responds to all kinds of stimuli - good and bad. Nutrition, exercise, and meditation are three good ones...so GET ON IT!

You can do this!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm on day 4 myself, and the AV hasn't reared up yet, but I've been working 13 hour days, the loudest it gets is when outside in the backyard on a summer night (the rest of the week). I will have to find my fortitude tomorrow and make it through like you. You can do it
Old 07-02-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cncquads View Post
I'm on day 4 myself, and the AV hasn't reared up yet, but I've been working 13 hour days, the loudest it gets is when outside in the backyard on a summer night (the rest of the week). I will have to find my fortitude tomorrow and make it through like you. You can do it
Welcome to the forum, c! Sometimes I think work is the best "medicine" for what ails us. BTW, you have an absolutely gorgeous canine. Incredible. Husky?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I agree.

If you want evidence of that, just post the question "What does powerless mean" on the newcomer's board and see how many different responses you get - both from people who believe it pertains to stopping chronic alcohol consumption and those who don't.

People have a natural bias toward the method of sober living that works for them, and will try to help others see the same truth that they see. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Only the individual can determine whether or not it does. Glasshalffull needs to determine what the next move is on the road to his/her sober life.
Yes, I made the mistake of stating I was not "powerless" on the Newcomer's section yesterday and was instantly under attack by those who wanted to point out that I couldn't control the weather and/or death.

That's the sort of stuff that drove me completely off SR a couple of years ago.

Yes the AV and Beast ARE parts of us. Rather than fearing them, or even hating them, I've come to appreciate them as part of the checks and balances of human homeostasis. Our basal urges, which is what they really represent, are an important part of human survival. Often times, they only remind us that we are hungry, angry, lonely, tired (remember HALT?) -- or more importantly, injured or ill. Consider PICA, the strange symptom of compulsively eating non-foods, which often signals anemia or other pathological state.

My Beast can be very childlike for sure. Some basal urges need to be fed, but not the one that says to use drugs or drink. After I became a non-drinker, that door was closed and any noises I hear to the contrary are just noises.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
Welcome to the forum, c! Sometimes I think work is the best "medicine" for what ails us. BTW, you have an absolutely gorgeous canine. Incredible. Husky?
I agree Thank you, he's a pain in the ass but he's ours, and a little husky. lol :P
Old 07-02-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
FT

Welcome cncquads!

Ditto, the gorgeous dog.