SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   I hope I have found the right place (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/329849-i-hope-i-have-found-right-place.html)

glasshalffull 04-22-2014 04:57 AM

I hope I have found the right place

I am struggling with sobriety. I went to AA for 15 or so years; I now realise a lot of my god fearing was simply depression. What a terrible realisation.

Anyway, who here doesn't follow angry Jack but has some kind of CBT, non-diety sobriety?

I am sorry if I have been inappropriate, but I want to get sober and am about to go on baclofen. That's my next great hope.

FeelingGreat 04-22-2014 05:16 AM

Hi ghf, there are plenty of us who didn't use AA, including me. I found my own conviction that I wasn't going to end up a pitiful alcoholic was enough motivation.

raku 04-22-2014 05:35 AM

I find a combination of self-knowledge, self-acceptance, self-love, AA (at times), AVART, Creativity, and being able to give AND receive works !....It's kind of like a personal "Life Job"

me & Miso

RaiseAnchor 04-22-2014 06:39 AM

I've never much researched the nature of spirituality. Although it sounds somewhat superficial, I do believe in myself. Along these lines, I strive to work on, and understand the extent of my abilities.

I see a counselor. It helps me to talk about my emotions. Through this I can come to some sort of new, occasional enlightenment. I have the tools to abstain from alcohol. Fortunately, I also have others around me that are supportive.

SoberRecovery is a great place for support. It helps me to read over it once in awhile. For some, I imagine it could be all that is necessary in helping them with staying sober.

It is ultimately up to the individual to stay accountable to their convictions.

I don't know much about AA other than what is widely conveyed. I do believe that it has worked for many. I definitely disagree with the assumption that it is the only way that one can get sober.

Nonsensical 04-22-2014 10:01 AM

My personal recovery program includes elements of AA, AVRT, CBT, mindfulness, and activity. Always looking for ways to enhance it, though.

Stoogy 04-22-2014 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by glasshalffull (Post 4606584)
I am struggling with sobriety. I went to AA for 15 or so years; I now realise a lot of my god fearing was simply depression. What a terrible realisation.

Anyway, who here doesn't follow angry Jack but has some kind of CBT, non-diety sobriety?

I am sorry if I have been inappropriate, but I want to get sober and am about to go on baclofen. That's my next great hope.

There are many people that lay claim to the AA being the best possible route and they may be correct, but I did not and do not intend to do that, why? Simply as long as I can control this myself in my own head then I will continue on my own path to being the best version of me I can be.

In life there are many choices. I chose to drink, now I choose not too, simple and effective.
Wishing you well on whatever path you choose to get to where you need to be.

glasshalffull 04-25-2014 03:26 PM

Thank-you for your replies.

I seem to get one or two weeks sobriety before cracking. I get so wound up, stressed, that I end up drinking ( well, I get the craving and seeing my wife drink, I think, 'what the hell').

It got so bad recently when my work was in overload, that I was waking at 5am with tension headaches. Only aspirin and lying still for 2-3hrs would get rid of the constant pain. I hung in there sober till the work deadlines had passed and then drank like a fish.

I have been using Antibuse to put on the brakes. That works until I basically pre-meditate a drink and stop taking it.

I have been reading a lot about the plasticity of the brain, how we can change behaviours.

For me it seems to be a slow process. I got really bad about 2 years ago, which was 2 years into regular drinking aft 5 years abstinance. That 5 years was when my wife was pregnant and looking aft youngsters. Both of us stopped. I needed help from AA for a while till I realised my fear was depression.

I first went to the fellowship when 21 and it did help me grow up in a lot of ways. The most vital thing that AA taught me was keeping a clean slate with people and to seeking to understand. When I still get wound up about someone else's behaviour, this works.

The rest of it no longer works for me.

At least now most of the time I want to be alcohol-free, and succeed. But that is not enough for me - I know long-lasting sobriety is the only way.

Part of the problem is that cravings return, the anti-depressants are now a problem for me (the side affects of weight gain, excessive sweating and stomach upset) and I've had enough of them.

So I know this all probably sound like a mess, and it no doubt is. I see a doctor regularly and a shrink occasionally, but neither seem to be up to date as I am on the latest studies on addiction. And I'm only as well- read on the subject as a google search...

I do see a way ahead, and I just need to make the changes for it to take effect. I see regular exercise, meditation, mindfulness and regular reading on addiction (visiting this forum lots and reading research papers) as being a core on which I hope to build long-term sobriety.

In the short-term, I want to try Bac and I will stay on the anti-depressants till I am strong enough to get off them.

BTW, It has taken me this long to see the irony in my user name... Oh dear.

Thank-you all for letting me drop in and get some help here.