First SMART Meeting/update

Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First SMART Meeting/update

So I went to my first SMART meeting. It was really really great. I loved how it was just about acknowledging your negative thoughts, behaviours, and feelings, and learning how to correct them. I will definitely go back (especially because I have mental health issues too and the CBT approach really resonated with me).

I am still a newbie I suppose. I am about 5 or 6 weeks sober, not really counting, but it's nice to know a ballpark figure.

I went to the pub the other night. Oh man. I was feeling emotional and triggered after I got off work and thought I might cave. I hadn't had any really strong cravings until that night. I ended up reaching out to my sober buddy and got some support. I drank coffee, was bored, stayed sober, and left early.

Some people might ask why even bother with the temptation... But the way I see it is, I am going to resent being sober if it prevents me from participating in activities or events that I otherwise would participate in. I need to live my life "normally" in order not to feel like I am missing out on something.

You know? No one even asked/noticed/cared that I wasn't drinking. What a relief.

Sorry, this is a bunch of topics at once. Just haven't posted in a few weeks. I'm still here and sober and looking forward to my next SMART meeting!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Very impressive, DW. I have added aspects of SMART to my toolkit, and the CBT stuff I find very helpful too in keeping an even keel. Acknowledging thoughts without judging them and getting all wrapped up emotionally is great mental hygiene, and I see this as a common theme CBT shares with mindfulness and even with AVRT.

Thanks for sharing this great news.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Glad you got things from your meeting. Remember we all were newbies once ;-)

I understand where you were coming from at the bar. A few sober friends of mine are in a rock band and play often in bands. It helps they have each other from support. Especially for the lead singer, she has just under two months also since her relapse.

Like you I also need to reach out to sober friends sometimes. There are times when I need to talk to someone else who understands what it it is like to remain sober.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by darknesswithin View Post
I drank coffee, was bored, stayed sober, and left early.

Some people might ask why even bother with the temptation... But the way I see it is, I am going to resent being sober if it prevents me from participating in activities or events that I otherwise would participate in. I need to live my life "normally" in order not to feel like I am missing out on something.
Did you just write that you would resent missing out on coffee and boredom?

Appreciate the feedbacK on SMART. I have been seeing a CBT counselor, and I think it has been very helpful. Keep it going!