Becoming

Old 04-01-2015, 02:16 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Well, I got tired of dinking around with my home gym and joined a real gym! It's pretty nice. I was getting to the point where I didn't have enough weight and it was kind of limiting having so few pieces of gear. It's also more efficient at a real gym where I can move from station to station and not have to pause to change all the weights, etc.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

The gym has turned out to be a great thing for me! I'm starting to make some good progress. I got a little pudgier over the winter than I wanted to but I'm moving the right direction. At my age my goal is to pack on some muscle and improve my body composition. The more muscle you have the higher your metabolism and the more calories you burn at rest. Plus carrying more muscle as you age helps you maintain bone density (it puts more force/stress on your skeleton which causes it to keep bone mass up). By now I'm deadlifting 250 lbs, not terrible by any means. I need to step up and work the bench press a bit more but I've been focusing on dead lift, incline bench and cable flies along with pushups.

Not too much left to finish my degree, probably by the end of the summer!

So I'm making some progress in my journey towards becoming!
Old 05-12-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Becoming me is exhilarating, but the journey is so much more fun than the other road I was on, at times it becomes lonely but here I've found others feeling the same way!
Well done to all for goals, dreams, aspirations that are now closer to being attainable.
Personally I've started a degree course in Psychology, something I always wanted but could never find the time or the brain-space to study seriously before getting sober.
I've made a couple of friends and reconstructed old friendships too. My personal relationships have improved over the past year as I've learnt to understand that I CAN CONTROL MYSELF just not others!
I'm learning to deal with stress and emotional difficulties better and have more patience with others and myself. I'm also making less excuses to myself about my lifestyle and attempting to make small changes to my diet and exercise.
I love not drinking, I'm finally restarting my life (20+ years later!) and becoming who I am is the best bit so far on my journey, I can start to feel pleased with my choices and proud of myself for sticking to my BP thus allowing all other necessary life changes to take place.
Great thread & congrats on all your muscles/fitness/healthy lifestyles/sobriety and becoming!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 05-13-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

That's awesome, CelticZebra! I too feel like I'm "reborn" in a sense, and starting life all over again. It's not all good, but most of it is. I have to admit I didn't realize just how toxic most of my family is while I was drunk all the time. Now that I'm not I find I don't really want to spend time with them anymore. They're not "bad people" per se but I am becoming someone very different from them.

On the plus side I just got back from the gym. Decent workout but I was a bit sore...overdid it a bit last time. Tonite I had to take it a little easier but better to half-@ss it than skip it.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

"I love not drinking" is one of the most inspiring testimonials I've ever heard/read. Think I'll have a bumper sticker made.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Well, about a month or so left of school...and I'll graduate! Bachelor's degree here I come. So that aspect of life is looking good, but I still need to get a job. The whole "real world" part is lurking!

Just got back from the gym. I've been doing three hard workouts a week for a month and it's starting to show on me. I'm getting leaner and harder; not "there" just yet but I'm getting more V-shaped instead of pear shaped.

The next step will be to formulate a more organized workout plan. I started out kind of haphazardly doing this exercise, then that one. Eventually with trial and error and a bit of reading and watching youtube videos I've started to 'dial it in' a bit. I'm focusing on the core exercises right now- bench press, squats and deadlift. Those are compound movements that work a lot of big muscles and develop core strength. My concern is more body composition and strength more than 'beach muscles' but some hypertrophy will be nice.