Blogs

Notices

Becoming

Old 05-05-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RaiseAnchor View Post
You're at your senior year and it really sounds that you have a vested interest in accounting. Many students in my classes were very apathetic and had poor reasoning for being there (their parents wanted them to major in something useful). You have to want it. The shift from the classroom to working for a public firm, private company, or the many other places the profession can take you is dramatic. It is rarely exciting, but it can be and usually is challenging. Having the critical thinking skills that philosophy provides can be very beneficial along the side of accounting work.

I am in support of you finishing your accounting degree, but also continue pursuing philosophical material as a personal interest. Also, keep on keepin' on with your sobriety!

Just to clarify I'm not majoring in Accounting, it's just an area I have to study to get my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Accounting is kind of interesting in the way a sudoku in interesting but there's no way I could handle doing it for a living! No, I'll probably continue on a chef but with some options for a GM job down the road. That's why I chose Business Administration. Apropos of nothing I'm a few credits shy of an AAS in Information Security, too.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Just to clarify I'm not majoring in Accounting, it's just an area I have to study to get my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Accounting is kind of interesting in the way a sudoku in interesting but there's no way I could handle doing it for a living! No, I'll probably continue on a chef but with some options for a GM job down the road. That's why I chose Business Administration. Apropos of nothing I'm a few credits shy of an AAS in Information Security, too.
Ah, okay. I'm sorry I misconstrued your major. :P

I'm not sure if you're still taking classes in it, but if you ever need help let me know. I really do enjoy it. :3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaiseAnchor For This Useful Post:
MythOfSisyphus (07-21-2014), topspin (05-07-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well, the journey continues! Had a bit of a snafu with financing school. Two years ago I would have just gone on a binge and drank for a few days. But now I was momentarily annoyed but quickly realized it's not that big a deal. Basically for financial reasons I'll have to go for two more semesters, not finish in one like I had hoped. A tad frustrating but I'm choosing to view it as an opportunity instead of an obstacle! I'll have a little bit of time to "savor" school, if that makes sense. As much as I'm eager to finally get done, the "real world" is going to be my world for the rest of my life! No point rushing it.

Some good news, though. I have now been attacking the weight training pretty seriously for about three months. I wanted to get a few months in before I even posted about it since people often start things with the best of intentions only to see things peter out over time. I have no doubt that if I was still drinking there's no way I would stick to training; in the past it always cut into my drinking time!

This time it feels different! I read Charles Staley's book Muscle Logic- Escalating Density Training from cover to cover and it really blew me away! I have no illusions that I'll go from couch potato to Olympic athlete at age 45. But the transformation in my body in just a few months has been surprising. I'm probably stronger now than I was at 30. And the gains are addictive.

I guess I must be at around 21 months sober or so now. It feels so different! The sources of frustration that used to wear me down now seem trivial. I have a sense of optimism that I don't remember having before. Not fantasies or pipe dreams but a genuine feeling that I'm in control of my life, steering the ship instead of just blowing where the winds take me. My locus of control has moved more firmly inward. Obviously we can't control the world but I feel like I'm able to deal with things as they come my way now to a much better degree than in years past.

No, haven't written The Great American Fantasy Novel yet or mastered Latin! But things are moving in the right direction!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MythOfSisyphus For This Useful Post:
ando68 (07-21-2014), Dee74 (07-21-2014), freshstart57 (07-21-2014), Gilmer (07-21-2014), NightsWatch (07-21-2014), topspin (01-01-2015)
Old 07-21-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Almost forgot, I'm also about 85% sure I'm going to be taking a new job. Not the dream job I hope to land after graduation, but a step closer than what I'm doing now. I should know more in a few days/ a week, tops.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MythOfSisyphus For This Useful Post:
ando68 (07-21-2014), Dee74 (07-21-2014), Gilmer (07-21-2014), Received (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats on 21 months!! Sorry about the snafu, but it sounds like you handled it well.

I've tried writing before and it's one of the hardest things I've dabbled in. The Great American Fantasy Novel sounds daunting, but if you have a passion for it can be invigorating I imagine. Looking forward to reading it in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to NightsWatch For This Useful Post:
MythOfSisyphus (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing great MofS - Congrats on 21 months

D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
MesaMan (07-22-2014), MythOfSisyphus (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks, all! I'm not eager to see the summer end but I'm kind of excited for Oct 4th. IIRC that will be two years sober!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MythOfSisyphus For This Useful Post:
freshstart57 (07-22-2014), Gilmer (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
How have you folks handled this? At what point did just being sober stop being "enough" for you?
I think for me getting sober was like getting a car. WHen I get a car, it's never so I can say "look, I have a car" it's always so I can get places with it. I don't have all planned about where I will go, but I didn't get the car just to have it.

Sobriety is like that. It wasn't ever about being sober, it was always about where I could get with it, even if I didn't know ahead where I wanted to go.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Archelon For This Useful Post:
jazzfish (01-01-2015), keeppushing (05-04-2015), MythOfSisyphus (07-22-2014), topspin (01-01-2015)
Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

wow, MoS, you sound so bloody...uh...mature in a good way. excited and happily looking forward, wow!

great to hear.
The Following User Says Thank You to fini For This Useful Post:
MythOfSisyphus (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well, I can't remember precisely when I started my serious weight training but it's going swimmingly! The really cool thing is that when you begin a total weakling starting out it's amazingly easy to gain muscle. Right now I don't have any free weights/plates; I'm using a combination of my old Total Gym and body weight exercises. I do Hindu Squats, pushups and planking just with my own weight. Then I do curls, chinups, etc on my machine. It's amazing how much stronger I've gotten in the last few months! Again, those initial gains are so easy because your muscles aren't used to working hard. I figure I'll plateau in a couple months but that's actually a good problem to have!

My next step is going to be getting a squat rack/power tower and a new barbell/weights set. Probably I can get by with 200 lbs for a while but 300# would mean less swapping plate. A rack would also be good for being able to bench press free weight w/o a spotter (I can't always get a spotter since I like to work out in the evening after work).

To anyone out there just getting started or even just consider a work out regimen I would highly recommend you look into the books of Charles Staley. I got his book 'Muscle Logic: Escalating Density Training' used from Amazon.com for about five bucks shipped- it's awesome! Staley is a trainer that's trained a lot of pro, collegiate and even Olympic athletes.

At any rate, one element of his philosophy is more sets of less reps. For example, say you do a max of 10 pushups. If you try to do sets of ten you're gonna be wiped out before you reach your tenth. Somewhere between 7 and 8 it will really start to hurt. You may start to feel really bad about being "weak" and able to do so few. The difficulty may discourage you. But now imagine you do sets of two pushups! The first set will be very easy. The next two won't be that bad either. Five sets of two is still 10, just like doing 'em in one big set. But you won't have the pain, and you'll probably be able to do twelve or even fourteen this way.

Staley is a big advocate of the "3-5 Principle", especially for beginners. You work out 3 to 5 times per week, doing 3-5 different exercises, with 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. This is very effective! As you get stronger you can up the weights, do a few more sets, or add a couple more reps.

Lastly he's a big booster of moderation. If you throw yourself in to the workout like a kamikazee you'll likely either 1) burn yourself out or 2) injure yourself. He says that contrary to the old saying "no pain no gain" pain is a bad thing. It means you're doing something wrong. Sure, he says, there's a little burn while you're actually doing a lift. But you shouldn't be in pain for days.

Slow and steady wins the race! To get started, just GET STARTED! You don't need a lot of equipment or time. In fact, he competes and still only trains about 45 minutes a day three or four days per weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MythOfSisyphus For This Useful Post:
NightsWatch (08-08-2014), topspin (01-01-2015)
Old 08-08-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks for the rec! I'm training for a long hike right now so I want to focus more on cardio endurance rather than strength, but I want to build some lean muscle next month. I like the moderation thing; the times when I've relentlessly pushed myself, I'd burn out and it would set me back because it made me feel weaker. The thing is, I'm leaning more towards doing body weight exercises because I don't have a lot of equipment and I quit the gym. I always feel like a hamster when I'm running on a treadmill.

Do you have any recs for nutrition or fitness nutrition books?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NightsWatch For This Useful Post:
MythOfSisyphus (08-27-2014), topspin (01-01-2015)
Old 08-27-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NightsWatch View Post
Do you have any recs for nutrition or fitness nutrition books?

Ooops, missed this Q. No, no specific advice on a book. The advice Staley gives is to eat protein. A lot. I try to have protein make up around 40%-%50 of my diet, fat around 30%-40% with carbs being the rest. I am a big believer in healthy fats like coconut oil and I try to avoid trans-fats. For the most part I don't eat any empty carbs if I can help it; no sugar (save a bit that's naturally occurring in fruit) and I don't eat anything made with bleached/refined flour if I can avoid it.

I initially returned to this thread to comment on the benefits of my workouts. My bedroom is on the top floor of a 2.5 story house. Around age 43 or so I figured that maybe my next house might have to be a ranch style with no stairs. My knees and legs were starting to bother me especially when going down the stairs. Well, the solution was squats! I now bound up the stairs two at a time and have no leg or knee pains. It's amazing how much benefit there is to strength training! Just for day to day living.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MythOfSisyphus For This Useful Post:
Daretodream (08-28-2014), Gilmer (08-28-2014), oak (01-01-2015), Soberpotamus (08-28-2014), topspin (01-01-2015)
Old 08-28-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Livin it LARGE, Myth. What a dramatic transformation you have made and are continuing to make! Truly inspiring. Maybe even inspiring me to get seriously active again. ONWARD!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freshstart57 For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (08-28-2014), MythOfSisyphus (08-28-2014), topspin (01-01-2015)
Old 01-01-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Myth!

Happy New Year!

I am looking at my "becoming" plans of the last year - many of them are still to be implemented. Some of them to be changed. Some of them to be let go.

Recently I found myself more in lost and "un-becoming" stage of life. Which is, I believe, is the initial stage of new becoming.

How are your plans going?

Happy New Year!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (01-01-2015), MythOfSisyphus (01-01-2015), oak (01-01-2015), topspin (01-01-2015)
Old 01-01-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Still a work in progress! I'm making good progress with the lifting. I will actually have to get some more plate very soon, getting too strong for the amount I have. School is going fine. I'm on break for a couple weeks but I got a B in the class I was sweating a bit over. So I'm getting close! 3 more classes to graduate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MythOfSisyphus For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (01-02-2015), jazzfish (01-02-2015), MidnightBlue (01-02-2015), sugarbear1 (01-03-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Sounds like you are doing very well! Congrats on soon-to-be graduation. It is such a relief to put closure to such a large commitment of time and effort.

I have set a number of goals for this year and I am deciding in which order I will implement them. I think exercise and no fast food will be first, although morning meditation and better time management could be as well. The main thing is that the goals are to be implemented by the end of the year, so I will definitely be a work in progress this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jazzfish For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (01-02-2015), MidnightBlue (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I have many goals as well. A regular fitness routine is high on my list, getting my body back from the all the years of abuse, there was a long time where I could keep my figure while drinking but in the last two years that has changed and I've gained a significant amount of weight. I also hurt my knee at work in the spring so not being able to walk for awhile didn't help. Fitness would make a huge difference with my injury so I've joined a gym and although I still have to take it easy I can already feel a difference. Plus I love the endorphin rush!

Knocking off some debt is another goal and it should be attainable with all the money I was spending drinking now accessible.

I would also like to get back into meditation and learn to quiet my mind... find some inner peace.

I'm going to have some work ahead of me rediscovering who I will be as a sober person. I find that the most exciting of all! The world is my oyster! I will have time on my hands now... I spent a lot of time either drinking or recovering. Maybe I will take a class or start my sign company back up again. I've always thought of taking a pottery or dance class. Maybe a night school class.... I know I'm going to have to get out there and make some new friends because most of my social circle right now are people who I associate drinking with. But I'm ok with that I've always been good at meeting new people.

It's an exciting time for me. I'm on a new journey into my healthy sober future
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wholesome For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (01-02-2015), MidnightBlue (01-02-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

@zenchaser If your gym offers a certain style of Dance Fitness that starts with a Z. ( not sure I can mention brands here) I highly recommend checking it out. I got happy while losing 20 lbs and eventually became an instructor teaching 8 classes per week. Great way to Rock your wild side in a healthy environment. Happy and Sweaty New Year!!
The Following User Says Thank You to WhatBeast For This Useful Post:
MidnightBlue (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all)

Myth - Glad to hear your becoming progress goes well!

Speaking about fitness goals - I have my first boxing competition coming in late January - early February. That's quite a challenge.

And... I haven't yet given up on the idea of competing in Fitness Bikini. I am 37, but .. who cares, right?

And I still have kind of 20 goals I want to achieve in other areas of my life.

They say to succeed in it you should concentrate on 3 goals. Well, it's tough to choose...

Happy and Productive Year to all!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (01-03-2015), jazzfish (01-03-2015), Tonks (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

WhatBeast yes I love Zumba! Wow you're an instructor? You must be crazy fit! You too MidnightBlue to be doing a boxing competition! Holy crap! Good luck. Knock em out!