A New Year, A New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 01:09 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Happy Secular Xmas, if that's a thing!
Old 12-27-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

MOS ~

Thanks for this!

I tend to go Historically Retro, and observe the Solstice informally. One reason all this Holiday kerfuffle even exists, eh? Since I live with a Recovering Catholic, she's into old Polish traditions, and I handle the essentials. Get the Tree. Stick the Golden Retriever 'Angel' on top, and other such tasks. It works.

Places I've been on Biz, like Japan and Singapore, are fantastic places for Xmas. Both really blow it out, and overlay their own Secular bent on the Holidays. It's a big ole Secular World out there!
Old 12-29-2019, 08:14 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Thailand was the same way.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

A New Year, same thread! Happy New Year, Davey T! I don't know what you're up to and it's been a long time since you've logged on, but you are not forgotten.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:38 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Happy Secular New Year MythOf Sisyphus, MesaMan and DaveyT.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:33 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Happy New Year!!!
Wishing everyone here Heath, Prosperity and Tranquility in 2020.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:46 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Fall is falling in Montana! The days are getting shorter and the nights a bit colder. It's a bit hazy with all the smoke from the wildfires ravaging the coast. Before long it will Halloween, then Thanksgiving, and Xmas. I hope you're well, DaveyT.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:48 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Greetings, All, and sincere Best Wishes ~

Somehow, I missed your nice Greeting above in Post #265, Tatsy, so better >8 Months late than never, eh? Hee hee...

I've been bustin' on the RV Trailer doing some minor Repairs, and a few Upgrades. Cleaning. All the usual. At the end of the Day, it's a Tiny House, and needs Tiny House attention occasionally. So, away I go tomorrow on a ~6 Hour drive up through Utah, and into Southern Wyoming. Nice temps, and fabulous views while I kick around looking at Rocks, and taking some Pix while permanently Sober.

Flaming Gorge Pix
Old 12-19-2020, 12:23 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Almost Xmas! Where does the time go? I hope everyone is having a good holiday season despite the pandemic. I hope you're still out there, DaveyT, and I hope you're still sober.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Here we are, back at the end and the beginning! Obviously 2020 was a pretty challenging year for everyone but to everyone reading this- WE MADE IT! I hope you're still out there, DaveyT, and to everyone else still rockin' secular sobriety, Happy New Year! May '21 be better than '20!

Old 01-01-2021, 08:38 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

An Edgar Winter Song from Decades ago re: Sobering up. Sums it right up for me. 7 Years in for me as of the Week after next with boocoo credit due to everyone here on SR...

Good Vibes to all. No turning back...

'Still Alive & Well' ~ Rick Derringer
Old 01-03-2021, 12:16 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

That's awesome @MesaMan!
Old 01-03-2021, 09:56 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 02-03-2021, 11:17 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Dave, MM, MOS, Dro and to all my secular comrades in recovery or recovered-
Happy New Year and New Beginnings to all.

I started my recovery journey with a faith based recovery system. Then secular (CBT psychological practice) and faith based recovery. Until I found my place in recovery, in life with a purpose, everlasting path of personal discovery and a keen eye on science, nature, Zen/Buddhist, to have an interest in native american ritual and life. Primitive peoples ritual, spirituality, anthropology, archaeology, astrophysics, religion history and it's development over time. Secular for life and loving it

Yeppers! My studies, my rituals and my life (plus being a guardian of a marvelous cat companion Ry-Ry), life is manageable and that equates as good life. Its cool to be mellow through all the hustle and bustle in day to day life.

Why follow a hero when you can be the hero in the your story of life. Keep on trucking!!!!!
Secular Ways Rule

Old 06-14-2021, 03:58 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Almost summer again! I'm working the PT hard to get my busted up shoulder back to good. Hopefully I won't lose the whole summer, especially since we all essentially lost a year to the pandemic! I hope this message finds everyone well. It's been a long time since DaveyT has posted but who knows, maybe we'll see him hear again. Thinking of you, DaveyT!
Old 09-02-2021, 01:48 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Wow, blink and you miss it! Summer is winding down with Labor Day (a holiday in the USA) coming up next week. The days have still been warm but nights are getting chilly. I didn't have much of a summer since my shoulder surgery in March has had me pretty much out of commission even now. I hope you're out there and doing well, DaveyT. To everyone else on the secular path to recover, I hope you're doing great as well!
Old 09-02-2021, 06:50 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

In my Other Duties As Required, I just took care of Bidness surrounding MesaMate's *10th* Ortho Surgery; this one on her Shoulder. We'll see if this is the one that gets her to age gracefully sans over-use of Jockette Body Parts.

The >500 Mile R/T Drive back to Boulder CO went OK. A major crash closed I-70 through the Colorado Rockies, so we sat it out in the quere. Thereafter, things went just fine on this 20 Minutes 'clean-up' of shredded Shoulder Tissue. Now back Home, and just doing my well-practiced Invalid Care Routine. Having a Puppy makes it more interesting. Summer Weather is tapering off here, too.

No complaints. Sobriety cuts most all the Drama and over-reaction to Life. As I like it. I wish everyone well!
Old 12-19-2021, 03:47 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Look at the time go! It's almost Xmas again! This is the Secular forum and I'm basically atheist (with you know, 99.9% agnostic because if we're being rational it's impossible to prove a negative). But I enjoy the Xmas season to a good degree. First it reminds me of childhood when things were uncomplicated. It brings back memories of music, the tree, the smell of ham in the oven, and of long-dead family members. With the superstition stripped away we're left with the rituals and traditions, and they can be kind of nice. Humans need rituals and observances, both to break up the daily routines of life but also to reflect. Most people can't live peace on Earth & goodwill towards men 24/7/365, it's just too much. Too demanding. We as humans have to pick our spots so to speak.

This year I might just hang out at home by myself. I have a standing invite to do Xmas with my friend's family as I have the last couple years. But last year I went home for the holiday and on the way home hit a patch of ice and totaled my car. Totally sober, just very bad weather. It would be an exaggeration to say I have PTSD but I'm certainly not in any rush to do any long road trips this winter. My new car is much better in the winter than my old one, so there's that. But to tell the truth it would be nice to sit home, make a nice dinner and engage in my favorite Xmas tradition, watching Die Hard on TV.

I hope you're out there having a good holiday season, @DaveyT. I wish a happy & sober holiday to all my fellow Secular peeps!
Old 12-20-2021, 04:57 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

There's lots for atheists to love about Christmas. And it was originally a pagan event. But Die Hard???
Old 12-20-2021, 11:01 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
There's lots for atheists to love about Christmas. And it was originally a pagan event. But Die Hard???
Hey, it's an Xmas movie!scoregood