A New Year, A New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 06:50 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  
quat

Yippie kai aye!!

And Happy Happies and the Merriest merries to all !
Old 12-25-2021, 12:31 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

I have finished my traditional Xmas Eve viewing of Die Hard, then watched the first couple episodes of The Wheel of Time. Happy Holidays to you all!
Old 03-31-2022, 01:46 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Well, spring has almost sprung in Big Sky Country. We had a 70 degree day two days ago and I grilled out. Then yesterday I woke up to 30 degrees and a couple inches of fresh snow. It's that time of year, the first nice days kindle excitement and the hope of renewal only to have cold water dashed in our faces! Still, it's almost April and winter's grip is losing strength. A new season is just around the corner and I'm hopeful.

I've had a lot on my plate the last couple weeks and it's a bit of a bummer. But honestly, after quitting drinking I know any lesser challenge is just a minor stumbling block...things will be okay, I know it. Just gotta keep on keeping on for little more.

I hope it's a good spring for you all. Still thinking of you DaveyT, wherever you are.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:03 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Wow, winter again already! Where does the time go? I recently passed the Ten Year mark which seems like a dream to me. I hope you're well, and happy holidays!
Old 01-01-2023, 05:18 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Here we are again, back at the beginning! I was thinking of you today @DaveyT and hoping you're well and still carrying on. Of course, I suppose you're a stand-in for all those that have shared this journey with me. Some people will walk with you for many miles, others just a short ways, but both can have an impact that endures. By now I've been sober for over ten years, something I could have scarcely imagined back when I first joined SR. There's a sense that holidays are arbitrary, a day that we assign importance to that is really just trivial. But holidays are import I think. As humans often have to "pick our spots", little places where a little extra effort can make a big difference. It's very difficult to live up all your aspirations every day. So we choose days to focus on, to really put in the work. New Year is a potent time symbolically. We just passed the shortest day of the year, from here out the days will get longer. There's still a lot of cold and dark to come but there's a crack of light, too.

To all my SR companions, Happy New Year! If you're sober and succeeding take this moment to bask in it. Pat yourself on the back a bit. You should be proud! It's not easy and many fall short.

If you're struggling or still drinking, let 2023 be the year you get it right. Take this moment to forgive yourself. Every day on the green side of the lawn is a gift, one that should be cherished. While you're still alive hope is alive, and you can make your existence better. But be advised that our endless numbered days are not truly infinite. We only get so many chances, and it's easy to quit and simply imagine maybe someday you'll do better. Someday may be closer than you think.

I wish you all love & light in the new year. Thanks for being there for me over these last ten years.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:33 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Well, summer is almost here again! It was 75 degrees today and just beautiful. I am well over ten years sober now, about ten and a half. Life has had challenges of course, sobriety hasn't made life perfect but it has made life possible. I hope you're still out there and doing well, DaveyT. Hopefully everyone is doing well!

Old 12-24-2023, 11:14 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

We're back where we started! It's Christmas Eve again. Time flies! It doesn't really feel like Xmas this year; perhaps it's a combination of unseasonably warm weather coupled with being busy but it really snuck up on me. It's my 11th sober Christmas, and that alone makes me happy and grateful. The world isn't perfect- maybe it's perfectly mad!- but my world in pretty good shape. I hope you're out there DaveyT, celebrating another holiday with those you love.