Buddhism

Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
Admiral, I use a form of mindfulness based on Shin Buddhism do deal with my PTSD and the craziness that goes with that. Whenever I start getting cravings or out of balance I start repeating Namu Amida Buddha over and over in my head.

There is nothing mystical or anything about it. It's just that I have to concentrate to keep focused on saying the Nembutsu (Namu Amida Buddha). When I am concentrating on that I am no longer wonder around the bad places in my head. It pulls my attention back to the here and now and not on what I want to do in the future or grieving over what I did in the past.

I have been doing this for about 3 years now. It's funny but sometimes I find myself doing the Nembutsu without even thinking about it. Like the craving started to pop up and the Nembutsu kicked in on its own.

BTW, this practice is good for all sorts of delusional thinking and time of stress. I highly recommend it.

Your friend,

Thanks for that. Though I’ve always been mostly Zen/Taoism, I’ve been using the nembutsu lately. I agree about the “nothing mystical”. A few nights ago I was having a nightmare, and couldn’t seem to get out of it: woke up, went back to sleep, woke up, went back to sleep – and it kept kicking in. Finally, without even really thinking about it, I started “namu amida buddha” – felt relief, and soon fell into a restful sleep.