Daydreaming of future drinking

Old 12-13-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daydreaming of future drinking

So I'm 13 days in to soberism. I've been gung ho about my choice to never drink again. FYI.. Big fan of RR and AVRT. That being said, I know this is my AV talking. I have a Keith Urban concert to go to in Nashville in Feb. My bestie is meeting me there and we 'were' planning to hang out in Honkey Tonk Row... which is bar bar bar bar.... I think of how much fun we could have getting trashed and raising cain. I'm thinking not such a good idea now. How do I tell her? Is it safe to put myself in that environment and still not drink?

Also, planning a trip to San Diego where it was supposed to be a big time party thing. Bars in L.A., Hollywood, Vegas.... Now everything has changed in my life with my choice to never drink again. I'm really getting bummed thinking of all the fun I'm going to miss out on... I need at attitude adjustment...

I'm starting to get depressed thinking of life after drinking. Then I think of my worse hangover which was recently and all the fun I had just wasn't worth the next day.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

In Feb by my calculations you'll have less than 3 months, if all goes well. I don't recommend going within 100 yards of a saloon. That is not a good time to be putting yourself in the way of major temptation.

Most of the sober people I know avoid the bar scene -- what's there for you except slipping on people's spilled beer & being a designated driver? It's not that much fun to watch, sober. Unless there's good music or food involved, I'd start thinking about other kinds of trips. Take up scuba diving?

Fantasies are awesome -- this is a good time to dream bigger & better, not about just getting trashed.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think major changes need to be made to this trip. Maybe I'll cancel it and sell my tickets and use all that money for something that is more proactive with my sobriety...
Old 12-13-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I have no doubt that your Big Plan will stay intact, but your AV will make a ruckus for sure. It will be a challenge for you to enjoy yourself in that environment I would think. I can't see how spending a few hours in a bar to, um, what would you be doing there exactly? Remember that's mainly where folks go to buy alcohol and drink it and get drunk. You will see that is not really a fun thing to watch.

The funner stuff to do is what non drinking folks do, it is for sure. True enjoyment, thrills, excitement, can only happen when all your senses are sharp and you are sober. Keep that in mind when you are planning stuff, you have many more options now that you don't drink.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sunshine72 - I am sober four month on the 27th. It was a tough lesson to learn to live sober. To change what I used to find fun was no longer fun anymore sober. Going to a bar is torture and I only endure if I have to like last night's holiday party for work.

I respect Freshstart and he raises a really good point. For me honesty has been key for recovery and sobriety (I view the two differently and I forget if this is the case for RR). So try to ask yourself honestly why would you go into a bar - what is it you seek? If you have to be there try to set a time you can exit. Have a plan with a drink in hand - non alcoholic of course. Just my 2 cents. Congrats on your choice and your 13 days.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sunshine i understand you so much
i only yesterday ound out about RR
and allready daydreaming about newyearseve

and i think freshstart just took my breath away :

"The funner stuff to do is what non drinking folks do, it is for sure. True enjoyment, thrills, excitement, can only happen when all your senses are sharp and you are sober. Keep that in mind when you are planning stuff, you have many more options now that you don't drink.

it is so true
Old 12-20-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Now everything has changed in my life with my choice to never drink again.

yes, that can be so when you first quit. if your life revolved around drinking and hanging out with others who are drinking....

wasn't a big change what you wanted when you quit? it's kind of WHY i quit; i needed my life to be different than the getting-drunk-one.

you speak of all the fun you used to have drinking, and the fun you're missing...i can't really relate to that, though i felt some of it, too. but it wasn't true. in reality, none of it had been fun for a loooong time.....
Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The key thing I saw in your post were these words: missing out.

I just recently hit 10 months sober, and for me, one of the most important things I had to get past was this idea of missing out on something. Ask yourself, what are you really missing out on? I personally didn't enjoy being drunk and not remembering things. I have much more fun now that I'm sober.

I assume you're going to a Keith Urban concert because you enjoy his music? I've gone to several concerts throughout my life and I can honestly say the best ones have been the ones I went to sober. There are some concerts I've gone to that I barely remember and I paid a pretty penny for the ticket. How is that fun? Quite a waste of money.

Can you talk to your bestie about your choice and plan accordingly? Are there things you can do that aren't solely bar related around there? I can tell you from experience, going to a bar that the sole purpose is drinking as a sober person isn't fun. It actually can be kind of sad. Not because I want to drink but being around a bunch of drunks make me sad - yet happy I'm not one of them.

I love sports and singing karaoke, so when I go to bars that offer some sort of entertainment, I find it much more fun. Because the point of going is an activity, not getting smashed.

Only you can know what you're comfortable with. But freshstart is right - life is much more fun sober. Everything is sharper, clearer - you are able to experience so much enjoyment. There is much more to life than a bar or a beer. Truly.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you SoberKat9! Congrats on 10 months! That is so inspirational. I have made changes to my Keith Urban trip. My best friend cancelled anyway so that is kind of a relief. My husband and I are flying in on the day of the concert and staying one night in a fancy hotel (not that we can afford it) but hey not spending money on bars and cabs!, and we are flying out the day after. I plan to stroll Honkey Tonk Row in the daytime hours just to see. I have no desire to drink. I am 27 days sober and my urges are getting less. I am having more fun now. However, I'm also bitchy, moody and impatient with everything!! But that's o.k I know it may be part of this process at first. I am going to Keith Urban mostly because I LOVE his music and secondly he is just eye candy. And did you know Keith Urban is also a recovering addict and alcoholic. He is such an inspiration to me that he is still true to himself and his rock and roll career and maintains his sobriety. I love it!!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

barbershop analogy

If you don't want a haircut, you don't go in a barbershop. If you don't want a drink, you don't go in a bar.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

66 days sober and I have come a long long long way with my attitude of feeling like I would be 'missing out' if I no longer drink. Boy did I have it backwards. I have been 'missing out' on the true beauty of my life... It feels so wonderful, yes the daydreaming is still there but I'm learning how to re-direct those thoughts. ahhhh....
Old 03-18-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
So I'm 13 days in to soberism. I've been gung ho about my choice to never drink again. FYI.. Big fan of RR and AVRT. That being said, I know this is my AV talking. I have a Keith Urban concert to go to in Nashville in Feb. My bestie is meeting me there and we 'were' planning to hang out in Honkey Tonk Row... which is bar bar bar bar.... I think of how much fun we could have getting trashed and raising cain. I'm thinking not such a good idea now. How do I tell her? Is it safe to put myself in that environment and still not drink?
Day dreaming about possible future drinking was something I really struggled with at the beginning. The thought of never drinking again for the rest of my life was really difficult for me.

I have 3+ months under my belt and I can say thoughts about drinking is really on the wane for me. Such a relief, and I can only imagine it will get better with each sober month.

I'd recommend avoiding environments until you feel more solid with your sobriety. It will get easier over time as long as you stay sober.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

108 days sober and loving every minute of it...
Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats! Yeah, the idea of "missing out" is a seductive notion, but not really accurate for most of us. If drinking was just a fun activity that we enjoyed without consequences we wouldn't be here at SR. George Carlin hit it on the head; in the beginning drinking/drugs is almost all fun with very little pain, but as we keep doing it we reach a point where it's very little pleasure and mostly painful. A normal person would realize it's time to quite before reaching that point. That's what separates us from "normal" people.