AVRT to end emotional binge eating Part 2

Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
But people have been eating bread and potato since B.C. and not necessarily were suffering from food disorders, I think.

The wheat we eat today is very different from the wheat we've been eating for thousands of years. In fact, it's different from the wheat people ate until fairly recently, which may be the reason why people in pics from the 70's seem much thinner than people today.

I struggled with bulimia for years, so I can relate to binge eating, but I noticed a reduction in my appetite and desire to binge when I cut out wheat.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all.

I'm still here. My Big Plan works well so far. I actually decided not to hang not to not eating in front of TV and my computer, because it's more of "external" things, and I don't like to be dependent on some place or circumstances about that. I know my AV too well - there are still a lot of places around where it can trick me into bingeing.

So, I am just not bingeing. Doesn't matter, is it in front of TV, or on the Moon, or somewhere else.

My AV is quite quiet now, so I am waiting for some "testing time" - whatever it can be.

Actually I survived some quite emotional moment today. One of those moments when I used to rush to a supermarket to buy me something "to quiet my emotions and to distract my pain".

Today I let go my feelings, was not ashamed of what I feeling, why I am feeling this. Just turned on one of my favourite songs very loud, and cried. And I replayed the song somewhat about 5-6 times, and cried out my feelings.

I think I've cried a lot today, without judging my feelings - just watching them.

I don't believe I ever did it. At least I can't remember the last time I did. Maybe, before I was told that I shouldn't feel the way I feel, that it's all my imagination, that I have no reason to feel what I feel, and overall should be ashamed of this.

And now I am constantly wearing a bracelet to remind me about my Big Plan. It helps me to remember that I made my Big Plan not out of restriction, but out of love to myself.

My best wishes and hugs to all)

See you later, pals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0085.jpg (18.0 KB, 112 views)
Old 02-16-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Realising my life

What a fabulous bracelet, MB, and what a great idea!

And that is a brilliant mantra: not for restriction, but for love. How absolutely inspiring!

Bless you, Midnight
Old 02-16-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, pals)

Thank you, HeadLump)

Riel - Sorry, I didn't answer to your previous post. I think you are quite right about all this wheat stuff. I also noticed that once I start eat bread, it stimulated my appetite and just "gives it a kick". So I've cut out it for now. I don't know about forever, but at least for near future.

Well, I had a bad panic attack today. No overeating though. Just sat and explored what I felt. Felt pretty sh**y (almost rhyming), but it was another step forward and another exploration of myself, revealing another layer deeper to my issues and giving me a hint where to find a key to solving this.

See you, pals)
Old 02-16-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just saw this thread and thought one of my past stories would fit right in. I struggled with eating disorders during my teens and early twenties. Now I am trying to recover from alcohol addiction using a variety of recovery methods, one of which is AVRT (or very similar to it). Found it quite interesting when I first read about AVRT in the context of attempting to quit alcohol, and realized that was pretty much how I recovered from the eating disorders over 10 years ago having no idea there was a name for it and thought it was my own invention to focus on recognizing and understanding triggers and dissociating my mind from them.

So when I first read about the formally described AVRT method for addiction recovery, I immediately thought that might be a good way for me to fight alcohol as well. Going well so far, but I'm finding the support and interaction here helps tons. Never had any support back then with the eating disorders other than scientific knowledge and reading other people's stories on related forums. No interaction about it at all. Definitely more effective this way!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, pals.

Thank you, Hannie, for your post and sharing your experience! Glad to see you here)

I am suffering from great anxiety right now due to thinking over financial issues and how to come up with another $10k within a month for the final payment for my apartment. And also having a meeting soon about other issues related to the question.

Anyway, not bingeing, not overating, just anxious and going to meditate for the next 15 minutes to clear my mind a little bit.

See you.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, pals)

I have been busy these days, but glad to report that I am doing good. I've experienced a lot of emotions during these days, but still not overating/bingeing.

I stay away from bread and cheese - actually just don't want it now.

Yesterday I treated myself to some nuts and dried fruits. It's strange to have a pack of dates in the fridge and not to finish it within one day, but to have just 3-4.

Still learning to listen to my feelings when anxiety hits me. Yesterday I was quite p***d off and was upset that these thoughts are ruining my day. So instead of eating I turned to meditating. I am still learning this, and not doing regularly, but anyway it helped.

I think after a big crisis I shifted to another stage of my recovery. If I look back at this time of year ago, I can say that a lot of things changed about me.

Spring is coming in less than a week, and I hope that my joie de vivre will revive along with the nature.

See you)
Old 05-18-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Sober since October

It's been a year...

Hi, pals)

It’s hard to believe it's been a year since I started this thread.

I haven't posted here for about 3 months by now, but it doesn't mean that I gave up to end overeating, AVRT or improving my quality of life.

Since I' haven't been posting for a while, I've accumulated quite a while to say, so, I will split my post into several pieces. My anniversary "mini-series".

The reason I stopped posting was because after of some quite "innocent" comment of other members I couldn't help but feeling "cautious" about what I am saying.

For me one of the most precious features of SR is that I can come out completely honest here, without being afraid to be judged. Though it's sometimes uncomfortable and even scary to expose the most personal and vulnerable "secrets" of my own, for me this challenging way is the true way to recovery.

And, I feel like I contribute best when I speak my mind just the way I feel; falling down for some thousand times, and talking over it. Because, I believe, even being unique, we still share the same picture of the world, and what seems to be my and only my experience turns out to appeal to someone else's "deep secret".

Where do I stand in the moment in terms of my still battle with overeating?

I haven't ended it once and for good yet. Though I've surely made a lot of progress during this year. First and foremost I kicked out all kind of sweets, and then salty пкуфын snacks. I almost don't eat starchy food. And when I binge or overeat, it's just usually nuts or dry fruits.

Yes, it's not "pure AVRT", but I'll be back at this later.

For now I'd like to start the first part with the major reason that makes me seek relief and distraction in overeating - fear.

I am writing this in the car maintenance centre where they are checking the engine of my car because for some reason it shows that something is not fine.
They gave me some idea what is wrong, but it is still too early to say what it is and how much it will cost.

And while I am waiting...fear...anxiety...you name it.
Fear and anxiety are primal reasons which stand behind my overeating.

Why, in the first place, I am scared so much.

Why I am scared so much to get a clear view of the situation in the first place.

I am scared that what I will know will be absolutely devastating.

That this time for sure there is no way I will handle this.

Logically, for sure, the sooner I will get all the best information, the sooner I will resolve it, right? Logically...

Again, logically we are taught that we are not the problem. We are not the situation.

But all my life I have been “indoctrinated” with exactly the opposiеe. I am the problem. I am my every mistake. My value diminishes with every mistake I make.

Whatever problem I encounter , there is alwas some magical part of my fault there.

And when I learn all the detail, when I rush through the fog of fear to see it clearly, then that's it. It won't be the start of the solution o f my problem or finding the way out.

No. It actually will be quite the opposite. It will be beginniтg of the end. It will be proof that I am for some reason "flawed". That I will have to stop immediately do what I am doing and hand over the reigns of my life to someone else. Someone who knows better, who "has right and power to dare".

Like as if my life is a nice powerful car which can bring me to different goals and destinations. But I am just a little unable kid, who are not supposed to start the engine at all. And if I do, and get my "car" scratched, or worse, then - guess what? Right, I wasn’t supposed to drive a car. It's OK for me to get in, sit, touch its surface, look out of the window, close my eyes imagining all the beautiful journeys I can travel. I can even start the engine and listen to its roaring. I can even move forward-backward a couple of meters, and feel its power and all the possibilities. But , that's it.

I am just a kid who has not been given the permission to drive the car.

But I can’t’ give up. And sometimes, when "no one is watching", having been procrastinating a lot, torturing myself with doubts to death, gathering endless proves that I am good and eligible enough to make a drive....I am finally driving to the road. I choose the time when it is dark and there is almost no one around. And I feel like a criminal who escaped the prison, and always LOOKING BACK, AND THE REAR VIEW MIRROR waiting for the police light bar to show up and bring me back to the place where I belong. And to punish me.
I do not feel I belong to the road. I can’t enjoy speed, journey, and great views. Who I am to leave the prison?!!

In metaphorical sense misfortunes , mistakes, and when "something goes wrong"" represent that police light bar to me. Like they are punishment for me leaving the prison.

Only I don’t know for which crime exactly I do my time. I've taken it as a given. I take it as my home. I have some "pals" there. I even have food and roof over my head. I have some place where to sleep, and I am protected from cold rain and cruel winds.

I am constantly abused there, though, and almost forgot how to smile, but isn't it the fair price for being fed, kept warf and "safe". Why in the hell, do you need the road, girl?

The car is still waiting in the driveway because it's mine. Doesn't matter how much power, "life experience" or wisdom other people have, they can't drive it without me.

Sometimes they get behind the wheel, but the car rejects to move. And then I get to driving, but always with someone on the passenger seat , giving me instructions and criticising me, and scaring me that I will crush it.

I don't enjoy this ride. I don't see the beautiful scenery. I clench my teeth, all tense and "wind up". I feverishly look at the control panel waiting for some alarm to switch on telling me that something went wrong and I have to stop moving ASAP. Yeah, I shouldn’t have driven...I want it to be over. I am so tired and exhausted that I want go back to my prison. Lay on bed, close my eyes, drift away in my dreams, and let my self recover.

Well this metaphor turned out to be long..

I am still trying to carve out in one brief sentence what I am really scared of? What I am scared of when I can't bring myself to look into the situation.
I am scared that new information I will get to know will kill me. As if I open the door and some monster will jump out and ruin me, eat me up.

In some way it is - when there is too much information, and some of it all scary, it gets immediately hooked to my imagination and mind,find the self-destructing pattern, and it is good to go using my own power against me..
I feel as if I have not filter for good and bad information. I am either in the total darkness, or swept away with the flow of information and trying not be be drown in this. And there is no happy medium.

It means I have to sit and wait for someone to resolve it. I hfve no right to solve it myself. What? I am going to take care of this situation myself? It's unbelievable! How Dare I!

Or is ti fear to be disillusioned? What if when I start resolving the situation myself, it will prove that I will really not able to do this. It will be another nail in to my self-confidence coffin. It will close my way to my journey forever.

And it’s still damn hard to face this fear. It's illogical and elusive. It slips away from me leaving me with huge sense of anxiety..

I am damn afraid to sit with this fear even for a half an hour, because i am scared that once I do this, it will enter into me like plague, and that I won't be able to even enjoy a minute any more. I won't be able to forget my fear any more.
This feeling is worse than sense of guilt after overeating. Much worse. And when it gets unbearable, I overeat.

Not always though. Sometimes I walk through it and find another way to cope with it - exercising, cleaning, etec. But it is always a runaway of some kind. And at some point I give up.

And that is not a solution, because it doesn't get better.
To be continued...
Old 05-18-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Hey MB...good to see you.

Over a year not smoking now....HA! Never ever thought I was capable of giving that up...WRONG!

Not got a lot of time right now...catch up later. Keep fighting the fight xx
Old 09-18-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to share that I am so excited to have found this thread and have been very quickly scanning through it before I go to work!. I sent a post to the newcomer forum yesterday and ColdFusion pointed me here. Have parent teacher meeting tonight but I can't wait till tomorrow night to hopefully get on and do some more reading and sharing. I've loads of questions like how do you make a big plan for food?? Will be in touch soon. Thanks for all the great shares.

Digdeep
Old 09-18-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Digdeep)

Welcome to SR and its secular part!

I've been just about to write an update on myself - how I am doing and how is it going. My post in progress now.

I'll be happy to answer questions if I can. Surely, dealing with food addiction differs from substance addiction because we can't rule out food of our lives, and it's one of the primary needs of our existence overall.

So, during my more than a year experience with AVRT to end binge eating I've had my share of mistakes which finally transformed into quite an experience and allowed me to adjust AVRT to binge eating.

See you later)
Old 09-21-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

hi all,

just wrote a long post and mysteriously lost it! i have taken time out to read this site at the weekend and to do the AVRT crash course. i have also used to time alone (hubby and kids away) to eat whatever i wanted. I am very anxious about what i am doing to myself and yet don't want to stop. i related to the ambivalance RR talk about. i am beginning to tease out my voice (tny) from the beast. i feel lkie the beast has hi-jacked me for a long long time. it is very frightening to think that i could like my whole life like this. i get really scared about that and how i am misssing out. i should be having fun camping with my kids now and instead i am ruminating on this. i have loads of questions about how to do a big plan that is specific to food, not ambivalent or vague as that is just room for the beast to interpret but not so rigid that i cant live a normal life. i realise that my beast loves this debate and could use it forever to sit on the fence binging and watcing life pass me by till i find the 'right' way.

I am starting a healthy eating programme tomorrow evening that lasts for 12 weeks. i will follow their plan (abstaining from sugar and caffeine as I am sure about those) and using AVRT and this site to help me sift through the 2 voices running in my head. I love when I chose healthy foods to eat as i know i am making good choices for myself and looking after myself. i'd love to be able to let go and make some unhealthy choices (which i think is healthy as it is balanced and not too rigid or perfect) but i don't seem to be able to do that. sometimes i can but most times i end up with a latte and choc in my mouth which would be fine if it stopped there but that goes from there till i am out of control and then backt o trying to stop again. that is the cycle for me. it is the grey areas taht cause me problems or open the door. i have related to a lot of what i have read on this site so i know it can help me. I do want to make a big plan and close the door on this for once and for all. there is a good life waiting for me and i need and want to do it.

thanks for listening.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

I frequent this forum because I enjoy seeing AVRT used and not misunderstood.

As I understand it, AVRT works well for ending a bad eating habit. I have used AVRT three times for eating. My first eating Big Plan was for caffeine, and the second for chocolate (soon after the caffeine Big Plan). Those were many years ago. Then, here on SR, just a few years ago, I made a Big Plan for man-made sweets. My BP doesn't include fresh and frozen fruit but does include dried and concentrated fruit like 100% fruit jams. That Big Plan is in post number 336 of AVRT Discussion thread number 4 here on Secular Connections. All three food Big Plans have been very positive for me and my health.

I made my alcohol and drugs Big Plan before AVRT was first developed. I didn't call that pledge anything in particular back then, but I knew I had made it because I kept hearing in all the recovery groups I was attending at the time that what I had done wasn't possible. As soon as I learned about Rational Recovery, I switched and never looked back with any remorse.

There are four areas that AVRT can be used for food. The acronym TAPS has been created with the saying "Play TAPS for your FEAST BEAST". The T stands for time; the A for amount; the P for place; and the S for substance. I have only used the S - substance - area of AVRT towards eating. I have permanently ended eating certain Substances. Other people have permanently ended eating at certain Times, certain Amounts of a food, and/or at certain Places.

Think about what this very brief synopsis suggests for you and continue working on that separation from how you want to define IT, your Feast Beast. I defined my caffeine high Beast, and my man-made sweets sugar Beast.

If I ever want to taunt my sugar Beast, I think of how ecstatic IT was when I used to buy a dozen french donuts, the sugar crusted ones with the twisted ribs and full of air. I would get home and pop them one at a time into the microwave for seven seconds. I'd take each one out and stuff it in my mouth all warm and greasy and super sweet and let it melt and slosh around until the microwave bell dinged for the next one one; until they were gone, of course. LOL. My Feast Beasts have become pretty lame as time has passed. That's the way it works with Big Plans against them.

Outside of anything to do with AVRT, I try to eat healthy, too. Very rare microwaving, only good fats, organics when possible, and keep low on salt. I also take vitamins for important elements and molecules that have been depleted from our mass food supply. I also have an important cardio exercise regimen; for the old ticker. AND I still LOVE to eat. My present special desert that I make all the time is spread a thin layer of chunky almond butter all over a plate, then open up a 10 oz bag of frozen dark red pitted sweet organic cherries and spread them all over the almond butter. When they thaw and are still cool - I PIG OUT! Not cheap, but MMMmmm GOOOuudd!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, DigDeep)

First, congrats to you on decision to address this problem and improving your health and your life.

I started this thread more than a year ago because my overeating/binge-eating became a really huge issue for me, and being sober just let me see that my overeating wasn't just an "innocent" way to indulge myself. It was just another addiction, and this one was very hard to end with.

But I finally did it. Though it didn't work as it had been expected, and required quite an effort from me.

As I have already mentioned I've gained quite an experience and knowledge in this field during this time, trying out different methods and approaches, making mistakes and trying to find the solution which would really work for me.

I think I will start posting my experience and thought daily by short posts , so not to pour out all the information in one novel-kind message which will be hard to read and "digest".

I quit drinking not using any particular technique - just using my own willpower and great support of SR. So far so good - heading to my 2 year milestone in October.

I was reading a lot on the secular part of SR, and I liked AVRT approach a lot, so decided - why not to try it for my binge-eating?

And I made my first Big Plan. How did I make it? I just adjusted the basic Big Plan designed for drinking/drugging for overeating needs. You can check it on the first page of my thread. It's here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ge-eating.html

And so my AVRT vs. binge-eating journey began.

See you tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi)

Continuing with my experience.

So, I made my Big Plan on binge-eating. What next?

Looking back, I realize that back then I didn't consider at least two things which made applying AVRT to binge-eating quite challenging for me:

1. When addressing eating disorder, I should have remembered that nutrition is part of the survival mechanism. It can't be addressed exactly the same way as drinking/drugging/taking other substances that are plainly harmful and absolutely non-essential to our survival. Survival mechanisms are hard-wired, ancient, primal, and ruthless. There is no use messing with them - they will kick a$$. And they kept kicking mine till I came to realize I have to come to terms with them.

Binge-eating is quite different from just indulging yourself in some favorite food from time to time (like "normies" do). Binge-eating/overeating is an eating disorder of one kind or another.

It mostly triggered by people going on some very strict diets. When calories intake drops dangerously low, then survival mechanism kicks in the game. Low-calories intake messes up a lot with metabolism, homeostasis, etc. Hypothalamus and other lower-brain parts go crazy. And it's kind of too late to tackle this issue by only psychological tools.

Binge-eating/overeating disorder usually implies some kind of purging - at least, cutting down calories next day after bingeing. Cutting down calories again triggers survival mechanism which is already is constantly on alert and super-sensitive to lack of calories.

When I traced back the initial cause why I started bingeing, I realized that me having experienced real famine as a teenager, messed up a lot my eating behavior. So, first, I had to address this.

In my case, in the fight Big Plan vs. Survival the score was never in favor of the BP.

The Beast as defined in AVRT is powerless, and it really is. But the lower brain which goes bananas because it thinks that I am lacking food - it's quite powerful force.

2. As GT mentioned in his post, AVRT can be applied to end "eating at certain Times, certain Amounts of a food, and/or at certain Places".

But my issue was that I could binge/overeat at any time, any amount, any food, at any place. Again, my problem wasn't a particular food, place, time, or whatever. My overall issue was screwed up relationships with food.

Surely, I preferred to binge on high-palatable food, like sweets chocolate, cookies, chips, etc. - because to binge on rich-in-calories highly palatable food (a.k.a - all the junk food with ridiculous amount of carbs, fat, and overall calories) is a genetic holdover.

But when I kicked out almost all the junk food out of my nutrition, I still continued to binge.

Making endless Big Plans on any special occasion didn't seem quite reasonable to me.

And, in my experience, the Big Plan didn't "fix" the whole complex issue of binge-eating/overeating.

So, when my Big Plan didn't work for binge-eating as a whole, I decided to address a certain issue - namely, my addiction to sugar/sweets.

I made it. Though along with my Big Plan I also went "cold turkey" on sugars - made 4 days detoxing . Here's how I was doing that.

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com (4 days sugar detox)

And for sweets it finally worked.

I haven't had anything that contains man-made sugar for almost a year - since October 7, 2013. I eat only fruit and dried fruit (dates, raisins, prunes, etc.). I eat 100% dark chocolate (finally found it). Otherwise - no chocolate, no candies, no cookies, cakes, pastry, doughnuts, etc,, etc, etc.

And about the same time - on my 1 year sober anniversary - October 14 - I made another Big Plan for to salty/greasy snacks (potato chips and anything like that). Haven't had anything of this since then either.

Here's my Big Plan for snacks. It's quite short and no-nonsense.

"My next Big Badass Plan is about all salty snacks - crackers, potato chips, and all other crap that falls under this category.

I caved to some of this crap yesterday and feel awful today.

So, I will not eat crackers, potato chips, and any other snack of the kind any more. And I will never change my mind. Beast can go shoot itself out of misery right now."

That's it for today.

See you later.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Hi GT.

can you tell me the title of the thread you posted your big plan on as i cant find post 336 on the 4th discussion thread. tx
Old 09-26-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Hi MB, (long ramble, trying to tease out where I am)

Thanks for sharing. I can identify a lot with you. Its 6 am where I live and i am awake since 5.30. I'm sharing this because I wake up in terror every morning, knowing that I messed around with food yesterday and terrified I am going to do the same again today and knowing full well i will. i can't bear to feel like this. i feel so guilty and scared about what I am doing to myself, my health including mental health, my moods, my husband and kids, my business. My food addiction is not lame. it really has a very bad effect on all areas of my life and I just float around on another planet.

I envy your bad ass! i feel very taken over by the beast to be honest with you. I feel like I cant find back. i know that is all beast talk but it scares me how much it controls me. it controls my actions and my thoughts and my resolve. i have fallen so many times that I (Anne) loves the idea of 'never changing my mind' but my beast obviously doesn't.

I am really being honest but my heart is not in this and i am terrified about that. i know if i could through a few days I would probably feel great but right now i feel totally hi-jacked.

I enjoyed the shares about people breaking up their big plan and it seems so obvious when it is suggested. what is stopping me? BEAST

My thoughts and feelings about myself are also terrible and are definitely BEAST using me to support my addiction. I don't feel strong enough to beat the BEAST even though I get that I am the one with the hands and the money.

I am due to go away next weekend to Malta on a work/business trip with my husband. I am dreading it as I bring all my body image issues along with me (BEAST) and that is licence for BEAST to tell me to Binge and not to stop now worrying about it. the thoughts of packing freak me as i don't know what will fit.

Another thing my beast hi-jacks is self care. my beast really hammers me, tells me awful stuff about myself and tells me i'm not worth minding and that its too tired to mind me. sometimes it feels like food is the only thing to care about me. God I don't know where this share is going apart from realising that my big plan needs to contain
S = substances - caffeine and all man made sugar (ME TAlking)
T = to eat every 3-4 hours to allow for balanced blood sugars (me talking) aka MB post on survival / nutrition
A= regular portions (over eating is a trigger for me) to eat mindfully. i know what that is (ME talking) also no need to over eat when you know you will be eating in 3 hours again.

I guess the neg self talk about my body (I am probably 7-10 llbs max over weight) is AV / Beast / irrational beliefs. there is a whole system in place to support my continued abuse of myself with food.

I was in 12 step recovery before and at one point i had almost 2 years abstinence from food. i look back on that time and i know i was so strong then. i had really closed the door on it. people used to say to me how hard it must be and i genuinely didn't find it hard becuse i was free and i had firmly closed the door on it. what helped me close the door on it was that i was on a very specific food plan that basically left no grey areas for the BEAST. all bases were covered.

the plan was sugar wheat and flour free, no caffeine and no high fat and food was weighed an measured and eaten 4-5 hours apart. i felt great about my self and my weight and mood were stable and i loved that. I don't know why i relapsed but i could never really get back. started doing a lot of therapy where they challenged the rigidity and perfectionism of that approach and talked about it being necessary to negotiatie food and relationships rather than controlling them. i bought into that and seemed to manage food for a while but it did catch up with me again. when I tried to get back to that place with food and 12 steps i couldn't. i just could not sit in the meetings. i no longer agreed because i had in effect been introduced to self empowerment through therapy without the abstinence bit.
I now feel i am coming back to the middle ground and want to define my own abstinence ( and BEAST doesn't of course). taking the bits of the various appproaches and experiences i've had and leaving out what doesnt work for me.

ok i have an idea now. i think i need to dissect each part of my BEAST and bring it to light so i can discard it forever.

I'm gonna stop here and continue the dialogue between me and BEAST in a journal. will bring you the highlights as this could go on.

thanks for listening...
Old 09-28-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

A sugar Big Plan from 28 months ago

Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Hi GT.

can you tell me the title of the thread you posted your big plan on as i cant find post 336 on the 4th discussion thread. tx
Dd,
Here's the actual post from 06-07-2012, 01:17 PM:

==========================
There may have been no separation between what we both wanted, but I'm positive I was objectively recognizing IT and IT's voice the AV while eating all that sugar. The way I brought it into my consciousness was the same, the way I pictured it was the same; the whole objectifying process was the same, I was simply going along with it this one time. There were still two of us during the whole event even while swallowing.

My point is this. AV recognition has no practical use to me without a Big Plan.

As I remain almost sugar free so far this year, I've recognized and objectified my sugar Beast and it's AV, but all that doesn't have any real effect on whether or not I will eat sugar because I don't have a Big Plan. I just ate sugar for the second time this year and it was only sort of a big deal, not really, though.

When I make my Big Plan for sugar, then I know from experience with other Beasts, that AVRT will have a very useful purpose in making it so much easier to get on with my gastronomic future.

I can feel it even now. I am seriously thinking about a Big Plan for sugar right now. Oh my gosh! Does it mean I will never experience the taste of sweetness again. Oh, wait, there's stevia. Will that be OK? WOW! Is that what I really want? Yes, now the AV is really poppin'. Yes, now AVRT makes sense. It will really help tie it all together - and quickly, too. WHEW! Haven't I loved what's happened by almost not eating any sugar so far this year? Of course! HAH! I win. Well, not quite yet. Dag-nab-it!

OK, I'll let y'all know when I make that Big Plan for sugar.

------

You know what? Enough of this pussyfooting around.
I will never eat any sweets again.
THANK YOU BRAIN!
Oh, WOW!
THANK YOU (AGAIN) AVRT!

------

There. Done.

============================
Old 09-28-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi there,

thanks for the share GT. One of the things I like about AVRT is that it cuts out all the debate. I feel I have wasted an awful lot of my life (precious time and energy) debating and arguing with the beast. I am also tired of dragging myself around feeling I have no say in my life. ENOUGH... there is never a good time, never one last time, never tomorrow, only now. lets just do it. its the most important thing to do in my life right now, irrespective of anything else.

I gave up cigarettes 16 years ago. I had given them up before and gone back on them. I made a decision and I stuck to it. I was tired of smoking and coughing and feeling unfit and I wanted to give them up. I knew that if started to have the odd one, that I would be back on them again as had happened so I just decided not to do that again and I have not smoked since.

I am tired of bingeing on sugar and caffeine. feeling crap and unfit and tired all the time. I want to give them up. I know that if I have the odd one, I will go back full time on them as that always happens. I'm not doing that anymore.

Here is my big plan for now...

I will never eat man made sugar or drink caffeine again and I will not change my mind.

I am now an ex sugar and caffeine head. I don't do that anymore.
Bring it on Beast, lets see you really reveal yourself now !!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hi, everybody! I'm just discovering the coolness of this thread thanks to an invite from MB.

I'm struggling with binge eating again (it's been a lifetime struggle). I ultimately want to cut out sugar and caffeine. I had a little bit of success recently, but lately have gone bonkers.

Ultimately I want to eat healthily and modestly. I want to take only what I need, without greed. A fit friend of mine says, "I eat to live, I don't live to eat." That's what I want.

I am currently reading through all of the posts here. I am loving everything! Thank you all for posting this stuff!