Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

AVRT: Did it click and work for you the first time you read it?

AVRT: Did it click and work for you the first time you read it?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
I hear what you mean, but I believe any thought including "wanting to be sober" always comes from my Beast.

My Beast is quite impotent now (I can't even remember what the sensation of being high was like) but I do remember if I used to think "I want to be sober" or "I want to be permanently abstinent", AVRT taught me to say "Sorry Beast, I've already become permanently abstinent."

As I see it, in AVRT "wanting to be sober" is short for, "OK, I've been sober for a while, and I want to be sober, so I'll keep working at it." In AVRT, that's really the AV stealing your pronoun "I". AVRT reveals IT saying "OK, you've been sober for a while, and you want to be sober, so you're going to have to really work hard at staying sober come hell or high water. Good Luhhuuck!"

You see, there's no reason for me to 'want to' anything about drinking any more. I don't have to want to be abstinent any more. I can be absolutely neutral about it. That's effortless. To me that's the whole long term purpose of the Big Plan. "Yup, I did it. Can't go back."
Great, great post Gerand! Very helpful. Along the lines of what your saying I think Lady was getting there it just needed more clarity.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Yes. There is a difference between 'I'm going to quit, or I am quitting drinking' and 'the last drink I had is the LAST drink I will ever have'. Quit. Over and done with. Boom. Finito.