SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Love reading these posts (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/309923-love-reading-these-posts.html)

Pups 10-07-2013 11:42 AM

Love reading these posts

Love reading the different opinions and experiences on SR. I realised recovery is not one size fits all. Drank over the weekend and smashed myself to pieces. Hurt alot of people close to me. But I'm sober today. I want to pick up a copy of SMART recovery hand book. I know my drinking is finshed. It just p[roduces absolute chaos every time \I drink. I need to start putting into poractice what I learn here and find out what works for me. Bounced in and out of AA for over 8 years and am finding it hard to get a lot of what I've learnt there out of my mind. Not that there's anything wrong with AA, it jus hasn't kept me sober. It worked very well for my partner but not for me. I have a feeling I'm close to finding something that wil work for me. THe lonliness and depression keep driving back to the sauce and enough is now enough.

Recoverynow 10-07-2013 04:18 PM

I'm in a similar situation mate. Been trying to knock it on the head for years now with very limited success. 3 day binge stopped yesterday morning. Just got to keep trying as I know my race is run in regards to drinking.

Haven't been to AA for years, horses for courses. AA is the wrong course for this horse! I might go back to SMART if I can face telling people I've been drinking like a fish again. Maybe I should listen to Jack Trimpey from Rational Recovery, make a big plan NEVER to drink again and actually stick to it. This addiction malarkey can get demoralizing and knackering!

Best of luck to you and hang in there. We can do this!!!

fini 10-07-2013 06:57 PM

"....it jus hasn't kept me sober. It worked very well ..."

Pups,
what seems more true is that almost anything can and will work if YOU work it.
"it" by itself won't do a thing, really...
just something to consider while you're debating with yourself...

good to see you here, and Recoverynow, yes, you can do this!

freshstart57 10-07-2013 07:30 PM

The downside is that you have to do the work, there is no magic in this. The upside, is that you can do it. No question. There is no answer in the bottle for us anymore, just heartache, pain, and sickness of mind, body and soul. Lose the booze, and claim what is rightfully yours. You can do this. Believe in yourself, and go get it.

MythOfSisyphus 10-07-2013 09:16 PM

AVRT is as close to 'magic' as I've found. Once I made my Big Plan I had no withdrawal symptoms, very little cravings and not a lot of PAWS. I won't say I never have an urge to drink but it's been very manageable. Maybe the key is being desperate enough to just "let go" and give yourself over to the system.

13unluckyforsom 10-08-2013 08:54 AM

Hi :) just to echo everyone else really that you are the key to this. You keep you sober and only you have the power. Demand that power be respected.

This is your life - it's not a dress rehearsal - this right here and now is the show. Your starring :) are you going to be blinding? Yes (undoubtedly so) are you going to live this life? I suspect yes too.

All the best

Pups 10-08-2013 11:50 AM

Absoultely right. Thanks. I need to grab sobriety with both hands and hold onto it. I seem to think after a few days it'll be easy but the truth is i need to work on sobriety every day. My old AA sposor used to say sobriety is a marathon not a sprint! And that's what I do, i sprint for a few days or a week or even a few months. Then stop.
Started a new job today and feeling pretty good. Started to incorporate the things that I find do work for me. Praying. Listening for the beast. Posting on SR and I'm going to check out SMART on Saturday in London.

Recoverynow 10-08-2013 12:13 PM

Pups this is weird but is the Smart meeting on Saturday in St James Pk/Victoria? If so Ive been going there on and off for the past year! Havent been for about 6 weeks though. Really should go back and show my face, there a good bunch.

Pups 10-08-2013 12:36 PM

I believe so, yes. I haven't actually been yet. Is oit any good??

Pups 10-08-2013 12:37 PM

Any good?? lol Also I heard there was one in Wardour street.

Recoverynow 10-08-2013 12:47 PM

Yes I usually get a lot out of it. It's quite a bit different from AA, I much prefer it. If you have trouble with sponsors, higher powers etc you'll be at home there. A lot of it is based on 'cross-talk'... the polar opposite of 12 step.

Never been to the one in Wardour street but I know the bloke who facilitates it and he's a top bloke. I will try to get down to Victoria this Saturday, hopefully I wont bottle it and stay away. I'm really determined to stay sober either way but the extra support will come in handy.

Pups 10-08-2013 12:52 PM

I'm hoping to get there too mate. Just want to keep an open mind and seek out what works for me and work it!

Recoverynow 10-09-2013 03:02 AM

Absolutely mate. There is also a meeting in Victoria today, same venue as the Saturday one at either 4 or 4:30 can't remember. Hope you have a good 1 today.

Recoverynow 10-11-2013 03:38 AM

How's it going Pups?