SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   One Year Sober today. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/309561-one-year-sober-today.html)

MythOfSisyphus 10-03-2013 11:20 PM

One Year Sober today.

Hello, my fellow secular SR folks. Today is one year sober for me. Maybe I expected a thunderclap and some angelic music from on high?:lmao Mostly I just feel quietly contemplative. It's been a wild ride this last year, and it hasn't always been easy. But it has been sober. Not a single slip since I drank my last bottle of wine early Oct of last year.

I was looking back at my old posts, and I started clicking on the profiles and stats of some of the other posters that welcomed me. A pretty high percentage of them aren't active here anymore. This makes me a little wistful and a little sad. I'd like to think they drifted off to live their sober lives, no longer needing SR. But it's likely a lot of them went back to drinking. I wish them well, and I wish them all luck on whatever path they take.

A comedian who's name escapes me now once said the hard part of being an atheist is having no one to be thankful to.:lmao Funny but kind of true. I can't credit any supernatural force with turning my life around, and if I did I'd have to be a bit PO'ed that it let me stumble around blind drunk for 25 years first! I see all those that fell by the wayside on the road to sobriety and I realize that could have been me. I think of those that didn't get sober in time to save their lives and think, that too could have been me.

So today is a bit of a somber celebration. Not so much a time to pat myself on back as a chance to wonder what I could have done by now had I quit twenty years sooner. I can't get those years back but I can try not to waste the chance I've been given, the chance to TOOK BACK from The Beast. Maybe it's fear that drives me to stay sober, or maybe it's simple gratitude. It would be kind of rude to throw away this chance.

To all you who're staying sober, good on you! To those of you who're struggling, know that there's hope.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me along this winding road to sobriety.:thanks

DoubleBarrel 10-03-2013 11:26 PM

Congratulations! It is quite an achievement, and makes me happy to see you still here!

Stewart888 10-04-2013 07:08 AM

Congratulations! One is is big...I just posted my one year 2 day ago..October 2nd was my one year....feel great does it not? lets hang in there ok?

Cleopatra1 10-04-2013 08:03 AM

Well done..xxx

Johnston 10-04-2013 08:12 AM

Awesome job! I also don't credit a hp, just my own common sense. Doesn't make me too popular at meetings, but I don't care.

jkb 10-04-2013 08:21 AM

I love your post. I too don't credit a HP. I figure any HP is going to have tons of other stuff to deal with besides my sobriety.

So good for you on making the choice to quit. A year is a BIG deal...:c011:

Jess

fini 10-04-2013 08:37 AM

congratulations, Myth, and i did try to paste a thunderclap photo in here, but can't do it. won't accept it.
quiet contemplation sounds good...

Received 10-04-2013 09:10 AM

You were here when I came along, Myth and I was glad for it.

Congratulations.

Stewart888 10-06-2013 03:38 AM

[QUOTE=jkb;4218733]I love your post. I too don't credit a HP. I figure any HP is going to have tons of other stuff to deal with besides my sobriety."

That make me laugh...thanks!

SparklingSeven 10-06-2013 04:00 AM

Nice one - well done!

misspond 10-07-2013 08:37 AM

That's so good to read, you should feel rightly proud of yourself. x

Opivotal 10-07-2013 08:51 AM

Big Congratulations MythOfSisyphus, keep up the great work! :)

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...d1p9hIJRbKRwkc

HopefulinFLA 10-07-2013 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus (Post 4218071)

I can't credit any supernatural force with turning my life around, and if I did I'd have to be a bit PO'ed that it let me stumble around blind drunk for 25 years first! I see all those that fell by the wayside on the road to sobriety and I realize that could have been me. I think of those that didn't get sober in time to save their lives and think, that too could have been me.

Myth,

Good for you!

You don't need to credit anything but you. You did it with courage, strength, persistence, and the will to succeed. You should be proud.

Itchy 10-07-2013 09:23 AM

Myth,
Congrats! It keeps getting better through the second year too.

Your comment about all the friends here not being around much could be they went on with sobriety and moved on. But many, if not most of my first friends here three years ago are gone too. All of our class of September 2010 except me and Doggone Carl disappeared relatively quickly. We all know that you are likely right, they did not want to quit, they just wanted to get strong enough, emotionally and physically, to fool themselves into getting back into the sedated zone.

Enjoy the second chance you gave yourself. I do mine.

Recoverynow 10-08-2013 01:49 AM

Well done Myth and Stewart on staying sober for a year, a great achievement.

ChrisBen 10-09-2013 06:34 AM

Congratulations!

lessgravity 10-10-2013 02:21 PM

Hey I went back and read your threads - super inspiring. I've read your posts and enjoyed them many times, especially on AVRT etc.

It's intersting how a year ago you seem to have turned a corner and barely looked back. I know you posted about struggles here and there but overall something seems to have clicked for you.

Congrats on a year - that's amazing. And hopefully you stick around and continue to contribute.

13unluckyforsom 10-14-2013 07:44 PM

Well I will pat you in the back :) I always enjoy your posts and your insight. Good for you!

neferkamichael 10-14-2013 07:51 PM

MythOfSisyphus, 1 year sober today? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Rootin for ya. :egypt:

FeelingGreat 10-14-2013 08:15 PM

Hi MOS, well done to YOU not your HP. But I like to think the people on SR are huge in helping us hang in there too. I've always been aware of your posts because of your moniker (which actually sent me to Google), and I'm sure your active participation has helped many others too.