Any atheists?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Any atheists?

Hello! Im new and Im searching for anyone who is an atheist and in recovery. I have been to many meetings and met many beautiful people but I havent found what I am looking for in regards to dealing with the whole spirituality issue. Any direction would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're in the secular forum so you are among friends. I'm an atheist and dealing with recovery. I had a good 3 months and then messed up for a day but I'm back on the sober path. You can absolutely do the same, sobriety is not the exclusive reserve of the religious. Check out AVRT and RR for secular approaches.

The people here are quite simply fantastic. You have tapped into a vast amount of wisdom, of course it's all down to you in the end but they can give you help, support and various approaches to give you the best chances of success.

I wish you the best my friend, I will be here to help in every way I can as I am sure other will.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi BigFish and welcome to the team. That comfy overstuffed chair over there is just right for you, so make yourself at home.

This forum is a 12 Step Free Zone, so you can proceed with your thread secure in the understanding that you are accepted for yourself, no HP required.

As far as dealing with spirituality, we typically just don't include that stuff here. I am variously spiritual and religious myself, but that doesn't have much to do with my drinking past, or with my sober present. I suggest you start doing some reading here in this forum, lots of valuable information. I like the AVRT discussion thread, and anything with 'Big Plan' in the subject line. I second the suggestion that you check the Rational Recovery website and look at The Crash Course in AVRT, all free to you.

So, please feel free to continue with your thread in the manner you have chosen. Onward!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the secular recovery forum.
It does what it says on the tin.

Religious folks and the like are not barred - but we do expect a little bit of consideration for the forum, its members and prevailing beliefs.

If someone is annoying you, please use the Ignore function, or drop them a PM.

and now back to the OP - thanks.

D
Old 08-10-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

my post must have been overlooked....

I've removed posts about atheism in general to force focus back to the OP and his original post.

D
Old 08-10-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee, I started a separate thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lieve-god.html
Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I saw.
Good luck LOL

D
Old 08-10-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
TKS

BigFish, what are your concerns with the AA type approach, and how it fits in (or doesn't) with your rational mindset? Despite your non-christian view, has your attendance to meetings been of some value? I ask this because I have some major issues with the 12 steps, and there's been much internalised debate over the past week for me as to how exactly it would help me in any way, when I am at odds with most of the structure.

There are thousands of suggestions from the AA camp that suggest using the word 'god' as a euphemism, rather than a supernatural deity in which it was intended, but there appears to be some deeper christian mindset that goes along with the AA model.

If, as a self-confessed athiest, you have found some value in the meetings, I would love to hear how you dealt with the 'god' concept.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am a fellow non-believer. SR has been a great board for me, with the one exception being the rather conservative views on religion here. There are a lot of mentions of Gods and Jesus on all boards here, not just the Christian section. There's really not much anyone can do about it, including the mods who have the best intentions. With recovery and support being the #1 priorities here, discussion on religion just gets too counter productive. It's frustrating but at the same time I understand it.

I do often feel alone with my views, though, and really wish we could pick up some steam in the Secular section. Much like some of the other specialty forums it just doesn't seem to get as much traffic. Welcome!
Old 08-11-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TKS View Post
BigFish, what are your concerns with the AA type approach, and how it fits in (or doesn't) with your rational mindset? Despite your non-christian view, has your attendance to meetings been of some value? I ask this because I have some major issues with the 12 steps, and there's been much internalised debate over the past week for me as to how exactly it would help me in any way, when I am at odds with most of the structure.

There are thousands of suggestions from the AA camp that suggest using the word 'god' as a euphemism, rather than a supernatural deity in which it was intended, but there appears to be some deeper christian mindset that goes along with the AA model.

If, as a self-confessed athiest, you have found some value in the meetings, I would love to hear how you dealt with the 'god' concept.
Well the way I deal with the GOD issue is to use the book "literally" and the words by "definition". I take the rational philosophy and leave the magical gobbledygook. I find it is imperative to have a network of sober friends and to fellowship with them but I am tight lipped about my lack of a "higher power" among the majority of them because I am actually working a "program". I do care for my fellows and enjoy being of service, no matter their belief and I expect the same in return. If this reciprocation is not met, I know I am dealing with a hippo crate who ignores the fundamentals of AA and most likely the core beliefs of his said religion.
In short I simply ignore the GOD aspect of AA and relish in the splendor of natural law. Seriously the only time it is important is when u r working with your sponsor.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I here you Big Fish, Im a atheist and I go to A.A. meetings and have lots if wonderful friends there. I struggle with the God part of the program. My close friends are always trying to convert me and saying things like (keep coming) stay open minded in time you'll get it. It really makes me mad and start to criticize them and there beliefs . I don't like being that way it is something I'm trying to work on. I feel it is very important to be part if the fellowship and to stay connected to them. I'm new to this state and I don't know many people. I've made great contacts with sober people through A.A. Its very important for me to have a network so I don't isolate. It has been a struggle I'm afraid of going back to my old ways, especially when they all say the only way to Truly stay sober is through the 12 steps and the big book. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm a devout atheist, and have been since I was about 9 or 10. I flirted with Christianity during a low period in my life about 11 years ago, but the deeper I got into the the church and the beliefs, it just solidified my disbelief even more, and came out even a stronger atheist that I was before. So I guess you could call me a "born-again" atheist.

That said, I'm open to AA meetings, just to have the face-to-face dialogues which could be beneficial. I don't have a problem with the "higher power" concept, as long as we are truly allowed for that to be whatever we want -- family, society, electricity, energy, whatever. But if I start picking up too much preaching and praying, I'll probably become uncomfortable and decline future attendance.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I am a fellow non-believer. SR has been a great board for me, with the one exception being the rather conservative views on religion here. There are a lot of mentions of Gods and Jesus on all boards here, not just the Christian section. There's really not much anyone can do about it, including the mods who have the best intentions. With recovery and support being the #1 priorities here, discussion on religion just gets too counter productive. It's frustrating but at the same time I understand it.

I do often feel alone with my views, though, and really wish we could pick up some steam in the Secular section. Much like some of the other specialty forums it just doesn't seem to get as much traffic. Welcome!
This^ exactly
Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I may as well throw my hat in the ring. I have never really given myself the title "Atheist", but I never believed in god/religion either. I'm wary of labels as they seem to set people at odds quicker than actual disagreement! But that doesn't change my views. I don't do faith based thinking and like to see evidence.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bigfish, your last reply was 4 days ago, I am sure I'm not alone wondering how things are going. Get back to us please. Even if you have slipped understand the people here will not judge you. Just get that post up and we will do our best to help.

Take care.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Try Buddhism or Taoism. There's a lot of ways to find something to help make sense of this world that don't involve a god.

I'm pretty spiritual and I only go as far to say beats me how this universe came about and works. I just know it wasn't me who had anything to do with it. And then I just move on trying to live a life of virtue. Plenty to keep me busy in the field of spirituality in that.

Just me.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank God I'm a atheist..
Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trying to close the dark doors

Atheist 12 Stepper here.

Rationally, one I finally admitted that I was powerless over alcohol, that to me meant that alcohol held a position of power higher than me. Logically, if there is a negative "higher power" there must be a positive one. I'll let you know if I find it, but I think love is involved. For now, I search. When a test comes my way I ask myself what would humanity at its finest do, and I try to do that.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm pretty new here and atheist too. Nice to have this board but it doesn't seem very busy! I live in Texas so am used to feeling outnumbered by religious people. LOL
Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steppenwolf View Post
Atheist 12 Stepper here.

Rationally, one I finally admitted that I was powerless over alcohol, that to me meant that alcohol held a position of power higher than me. Logically, if there is a negative "higher power" there must be a positive one. I'll let you know if I find it, but I think love is involved. For now, I search. When a test comes my way I ask myself what would humanity at its finest do, and I try to do that.
I like that. I have no problem with accepting the fact I have no power over changing the chemical properties of alcohol. It is what it is. Mother Teresa would have gotten messed up if she drank too much of it. I'm no different than anyone else who drinks too much of it. So I don't drink it. I'll live.