Starting Over

Old 12-21-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Heck of a way to lose weight, especially if you're trying to.

Hope everything starts looking up for you, Davey.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Lol you know what received, I was well within the healthy range of weight before I had this thing, now I'm skirting the low weight range. I guess on the upside this means I can go nuts eating at christmas and not feel bad about it as I need some weight on me again. My only concern now is if the antibiotics mess up my stomach even more as I never seem to react well with them. But the other meds he gave me to deal with my stomach acid might help sort that out.

But hey at least i's not anything serious and I don't have the nasty norovirus. He also advised me to stick to a very simple diet for the next 3 days. Lots of dry toast and that kind of thing. Plenty of water, although I do that anyway, avoid coffee and lots of other advice.

I have to say it's the worst thing I've had in a very long time.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Sounds like you will be able to partake in copious amounts of food for the holiday.

Hope your stomach can handle to antibiotics. When in doubt, I always ask the pharmacist for suggestions.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

I've had antibiotics many times before, I never seem to have stomach issues with them, I just get a bit tired for some reason. I don't feel too bad today, haven't been sick again, although my appetite still isn't very well. I guess whenever is in my stomach dies I'll get to eat normally. Maybe new year will end up being my big gorging moment.

I look forward to the buffet table lol, I'm now really skirting the underweight category, so that needs to be fixed. Taking some multi mineral/vitamins as always to make sure I'm not missing out on things.

I'm still scared about new year though. I decided to buy a couple of bottles of meonade and coke so I can make sure I have plenty to drink with my neighbors on new year.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I do fairly well with antibiotics too but I know they can bother some people. My mom, for instance, has a hard time with them.

Yea, I'm on the thin side and have to be mindful of consuming enough calories as I eat modified paleo/primal so I keep carbs low..really low. When I first joined here I was rather pudgy and bloated and red faced, lol. Not anymore.

Hope you keep getting better and the New Year brings you an abundance of joy.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Hey guys just an update. I made it through Christmas without any drinking, although I did eat a chocolate liquor but I didn't realise what it was until I ate it so I'm not counting that.

Just have to survive new year now. The antibiotics are working, chest infection is clearing up, the steroids seem to be making me very hungry as a side effect which is actually kind of great as I should put weight on.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Good to hear Davey! I made it through Xmas too. I'm on day 5. I'm on the other end, need to shed the pounds I put on drinking over the last few years prob 20lbs, and maybe a bit more just to get back in shape. Still feel a bit bloated too but that may just be the Xmas dinner!! Glad your doing good!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Great news Davey and 2bstrong.

Steroids can definitely make people ravenous but the short high to low taper can sure be beneficial.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
Great news Davey and 2bstrong.

Steroids can definitely make people ravenous but the short high to low taper can sure be beneficial.
Mate you have no clue, these are not the anabolic steroid things they're corticosteroids and yet my appetite has gone nuts. Right now I need to eat but I've already put on 5 pounds so I'm trying to not eat and go to sleep soon. Still I swear it feels like I'm starving, I really didn't expect this kind of side effect. I'm now slap in the middle of a healthy weight range, it's really quite amazing.

I'm feeling a bit guilty about the chocolate liquor someone gave me but I really didn't know what it was until I started chewing it. I'm not sure if that means I failed my sobriety or not. I mean if you were in a bar and you ordered a coke and someone dropped vodka in it without you knowing then should you blame yourself and start again?

Opinions welcome.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Last time I was on steroids I practically ate everything that wasn't locked up or still breathing.

And no, I see no reason at all to be fretting about the chocolate you ate that happened to contain a liquor.

Just get yourself over this virus you have. BTW, I think it's made it's way to the states as I've several friends and relatives down with some nasty bug. It's lasting forever and all the symptoms you described.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Thanks Received. I was so scared that liquor chocolate would mena I have to reset things but I didn't know what it was until I bit into it, btw chocolate + liquor is horrible. I was polite and ate it but it tasted awful.

Give my thoughts to your family and friends suffering from this illness. With the amount of travel that goes on now I imagine it's completely possible it's the same thing, or at least something similar.

Today I ate so much, a few days left of the steroids so I guess I'll just deal with it and new year means tons of food on offer! Ahh well I guess it's better to be on the upper side of the safe weight range than below it. I can gain quite a bit before I enter the overweight range. I imagine once the steroids stop I might lose a lot anyway.

I hope you have an excellent new year.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Nearly 1am and I'm sober. I cannot describe my feelings at this point, I managed to stay sober at new year! This is great! I had to make this reply.

I intend to start a new thread in the new year to start things over. A full and fresh start with my sober self.

I hope everyone else had a successful and sober new year. It's really hard to put into words how happy I am that I managed to face new year without giving in. This was my big test and I passed. But I won't get complacent, I know this is a life long thing.

Still without you guys I would not have reached this point so thanks to everyone who has ever replied to me.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Congrats, DaveyT! This is my 2nd sober New Year's Eve, too. It really feels great! Used to be I got smashed to the point I didn't know my name but this year I'm actually contemplative, appreciative of the event. I'm looking ahead to what I want out of the year with the knowledge that I'm in control, not the booze.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Happy New Year Davey!

A fresh New Year awaits..