Starting Over

Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Haha! Fair enough buddy. However, I'm going to hound you, like a dog, on a hunt, for a fox, if you don't call them Monday.

I'm annoying like that.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I have news.

Today I was contacted about my idea of temporary pain relief. They contacted several doctors as my case is a little more difficult for them. I am to be prescribed a nasal applicator for fentanyl which should act quickly but only last a short amount of time. They are also prescribing me a patch.

The idea is that when I have something planned (like going out with friends) I can pop a patch on my arm in preparation for the pain to come. The nasal spray is only to be used for "breakthrough" pain when I'm at my worst and it will be a low dose which acts quickly but doesn't last very long.

I should receive my prescription this week and I'll start with it. I requested very specifically that I recieve no more than 6 patches per month and 15 doses of nasal spray. I've asked them to lock this in for a full 6 months as I'm too scared of addiction. They didn't want to do that but agreed after a bit of discussion so no matter what happens my dose won't increase. To be truthful my illness means I can't go out very much so this should be a suitable amount for my level of activity.

To anyone in the UK I can't recommend the pain clinics enough, they really do listen to your concerns.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Hey davey that's really positive, and credit to you for realising that it would be all too easy to get addicted to something again. I hope this helps you get out a wee bit. I'm pleased for you great news
Old 10-14-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Fantabulous, Davey!

I'm glad the pain clinic has listened to your concerns and is being proactive yet cautious.

As freshstart would say, "onward!"
Old 10-18-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hey guys, tried the patch today, just to see the affects as I didn't want to try it for the first time when I'm outside of the house. The side effects are, not that pleasant. Just feeling dulled, like I'm floating, even slightly outside of my body if that makes sense. Walking feels like gliding, even my sense of touch doesn't seem quite right, like feeling things while wearing gloves. It's not an enjoyable experience, but it does knock out the pain really well.

I wouldn't want to feel like this all the time, but if it means I can see friends without constantly feeling like someone is inserting needles into my joints and muscles then I'll deal with it. It's only a few times a month I get the opportunity for that kind of thing and at least I can do some work around the house now Two tins of paint are sitting in a room ready to be used, so I'm going to take advantage of this almost pain free experience.

I imagine I'll need the nasal spray for when the patch dies down as activity I'm doing now is causing damage my body isn't feeling.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaveyT View Post
Hey guys, tried the patch today, just to see the affects as I didn't want to try it for the first time when I'm outside of the house. The side effects are, not that pleasant. Just feeling dulled, like I'm floating, even slightly outside of my body if that makes sense. Walking feels like gliding, even my sense of touch doesn't seem quite right, like feeling things while wearing gloves. It's not an enjoyable experience, but it does knock out the pain really well. I wouldn't want to feel like this all the time, but if it means I can see friends without constantly feeling like someone is inserting needles into my joints and muscles then I'll deal with it. It's only a few times a month I get the opportunity for that kind of thing and at least I can do some work around the house now Two tins of paint are sitting in a room ready to be used, so I'm going to take advantage of this almost pain free experience. I imagine I'll need the nasal spray for when the patch dies down as activity I'm doing now is causing damage my body isn't feeling.
Your such a strong soul Davey I find your posts very inspirational. I hope you enjoy your pain free time thanks for letting us know how your doing. I also hope you won't be too sore later. Take care
Old 10-20-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I'm glad my posts are inspiring to some but to me I'm just selfish. I post because I have nowhere else to discuss this stuff. Each posts helps me either because I get some feelings out which I can't discuss with anyone in my real life or I get feedback on my progress which helps me.

I wish it was a more selfless thing.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Not a dang thing wrong with being selfish when it comes to not drinking.

Besides, I think you give a tremendous amount back by sharing your ongoing struggles and victories.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I think we all post and comment here for our own reasons - I think we all gain something from being here so I think that calling yourself selfish is a bit harsh - and if you are we all are

How are you feeling today? Did you get much painting done?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear that your new pain program is helping, DaveyT! Hopefully it will give you a greater measure of control over your life and the ability to do more of the things you enjoy.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I painted the room but I have been suffering since. I could slap on a patch to help but I want to reserve them for visiting friends and that kind of thing.

After painting I dosed myself with the nasal spray, it lasted maybe 10 minutes at most and then I was back to the pain. I know it's hit and miss, I already regret locking in my treatment for 6 months, but I'll have to stand by it.

God after painting that room I lay down and I woke up after sleeping wishing I was dead due to the pain. I will simply endure as I have before. In he end I can only blame myself for this. I could throw on a patch right now, but that means I can't see my friends this friday.

I'll keep you guys updated as I go on.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Sorry for the lack of updates, my health isn't great at this time. The pain I'm managing but I'm just exhausted so dealing with that right now. These are the two big symptoms of my condition, pain and severe fatigue.

I've been resting a lot, I'll have to rest a while longer before the fatigue starts to reduce. The meds are taking care of the pain for the most part which is an obvious relief. Although I'm not taking the extra stuff I have, this is just my baseline meds that help me deal with the general pain, it still hurts but I don't want to increase them, I can deal with it as it is. I won't be going out with friends in my current state as even if I take the extra pain meds I'm just too tired. A nice hot water bottle helps a bit along with some paracetemol on top of my usual stuff.

I'm looking forward to halloween, carving pumpkins, handing out sweets, it's great. I wish my country would embrace it as much as america does.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

We can all understand. Just take care of yourself. You have a lot on your plate, but it looks like you're doing pretty well.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Glad you checked in, Davey.

My lower back is all screwed up so they've got me house bound...basically.

I'm going to have to decide whether or not to go through the recommended surgery but that is a decision several months away so right now I'm just being a big baby.

I really admire your strength and determination.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Recieved you're not a big baby, don't be stupid. Back issue can be the msot painful of problems and if they are considering surgery you are obviously in the most extreme of positions. Tou take care of yourself mate and realise at some point you should listen to the doctor.

I resisted help for years and look at what happened, I ended up drinking in order to cope. Now I finally accepted help it's really helped me get out of the cycle of alcoholism I was stuck in. Don't be an idiot like me, get help for your pain problems before they screw you up.

All the best.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Thanks, Davey.

I guess you and I will just hobble along on SR together. Not a chance in hades I'll drink so whining and feeling sorry for myself will have to do. lol
Old 10-28-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Wow apologies for my previous post, when I'm at my worst I'm so tired that I can barely think and typing errors creep in. Sometimes I'm not sure what is worse, the pain or the severe fatigue. When you tell people you're fatigued they don't get it, they think about a hard day at work. Most days I'm so tired I struggle to walk up stairs.

Anyway yeah received, we will hobble along and win our battle day by day
Old 10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

What was wrong with your last post?

A hobbling we go....
Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Maybe it wasn't my last post received, one of them had some awful typing errors. When I get tired my brain just doesn't work and it's a little frustrating sometimes you know?

Anyway I'm not sure what's wrong today. I have a horrible craving for the demon drink which doesn't make sense. I'm not in too much pain, it's very managable, no stresses other than the usual. Actually things are kind of calm and yet all I want is a drink. Around 7pm here so it'll be easy to hold out and not visit the local shops but I'm confused as to why I'm suddenly wanting alcohol.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I know some believe it's important to try and figure out why, seemingly out of nowhere, the beast rears it's pathetic head. I personally don't give a rat's azz.

Above said, when I get in a surly mood a lot of times I have found it's because I've forgotten to eat, am tired or just got up on the wrong side of the bed and happen to be in a pizzy mood.