New here - big LifeRing booster

Old 07-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey,
Thought I just chime in to say I've been attending lifering here in Dublin since late last year & find it extremely helpful. I also have the workbook which I briefly started last week & need to get back to. I did attend AA years ago and did the whole steps & sponser thing,, it did work back then but I left or drifted from it about 7 years ago ( ended up doing a lot of psychotherapy instead) which my sponser was totally against. I suppose I was still seeking answers to questions I couldn't find explanations to in AA. Needless to say I picked up again 5 years ago & have tried to manage it and get back into recovery, manage it, control it, get back in recovery for most of the last 5 years. To be honest I was always in trouble bit kept denying it and rationalising it until the next major incident & then I'd try stop again. Going back to AA just would not work as I tried a few times & no fit.
Then I found lifering and bingo,, we have f2f meetings here in Dublin every night except Sunday so I feel fairly privileged by that. Anyway it hasn't been an easy ride as I've relapsed a few times since joining lifering ( have 30 days in the bag today ), but I have to say it feels like its all been part of the journey, although in saying that I do want to hold onto and build on these days now.
Self empowerment was something I've been seeking for a while so I'm glad I found lifering.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Doc Sober, I was just re-reading the thead; I too feel exactly the same about how wonderful it would be if Australia (which currently has NO, NADA, ZILCH LR meets) would, um ' get with the programme' on that score (terrible pun).

At least here in my State, Victoria, there are only a few Women for Sobriety groups (and only in about 3 suburbs, far flung, and only on a couple of days each week). Ditto for f2f SMART meets. And, as noted above, absolutely NO LR meets.

So if those of you in the US feel frustrated / disappointed / amazed that AA (which I do also attend, for simply the occasional fellowship aspect) is the dominant f2f paradigm.....try getting and staying sober with an eclectic approach here in Aus: one of the biggest drinking cultures in the Western world, believe me.

And, ando there in Dublin: lucky you!!! Especially as any of us who know Irish culture and / or have visited there recognise: its drinking culture, along with the English, is almost the gold standard from which Australia (as originally an English colony) got its deep, deep embeddedness in, well, DRINKING. A lot. Yeah, I'm part-Irish by ancestry, and part-English. Born and brought up in Australia, too, with an alcoholic Dad. and various uncles.....What hope did I ever have?!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I ordered the Lifering Workbook this morning. Looking forward to checking it out.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey bemyself,
Sorry to hear about the lack of lifering meetings down under. As I said I do feel pretty lucky to have such an abundance here. I don't attend AA anymore so I rely on LR only for support, not sure if its even support, more like a gathering of sorts. Anyway, your right about the drinking culture over here and it's seems to be getting worse, not better. I know very few Irish people who have not one relative or close friend severely affected by alcohol abuse. I'm glad to say today that I've stepped away from abusing it myself, I've lowered the stats a teeny weeny bit & got my life back in the bargain.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I ordered the Lifering Workbook this morning. Looking forward to checking it out.
I think the Lifering workbook is the bees knees.

I recommend doing the workbook and checking out the chat meetings on Chat Room | The LifeRing Home Page
Old 07-19-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi again ando - yes, 'a gathering of sorts' is just the ticket for many of us, myself included. And Husky Pup, I think, is alluding to something flexible / conversational / 'inclusive' too in his posts.

Thank the gods and goddesses etc that you do have LR in Dublin, where you live. I've no doubt you'll make the very best use of it, particularly because it's so rare.

And, Non, although I don't know you in person, having followed heaps of your SR posts, I have a hunch that you'll thoroughly enjoy and get a great deal out of the LR books, especially the workbook. Best to you, btw!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Can't recall if I thanked Doc Sober for raising the LifeRing approach, but thank you anyway.

I imagine it's popped up occasionally on Sec Connections over a few years, but hasn't quite got the 'purchase' of the other non-AA style approaches.....a thousand possible reasons for that, but who cares what they are, as long as some people get to hear of it and investigate it for themselves. We can never have too many recovery paradigms to try out and work with, I reckon.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by DrSober View Post
the bees knees.
Love that expression.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Workbook came in the mail today. Wish I could take tomorrow off to get into it.

As fate would have it, my wife's brother and family (6 total) arrive from Europe tomorrow. Father-in-law comes Thursday. Another brother of my wife and family (4 total) come Friday. My wife has 2 broken feet, so I will be doubling up on hosting duties for up to 11 by next weekend. Zounds!!!

I will be sober, but progress in the workbook looks unlikely for the next week.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good for you non,
I haven't got back near my own workbook yet, just been so busy with work & family life,,
Hope you enjoy the hosting duties.
Ando
Old 07-23-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
If I had meetings where I live, I would go. Their philosophy is for each individual to create their own personal program.
Doorknob - good to see you! Hope you're well and good.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi all

Good to find this thread!

I've been active in LifeRing for about five years now, found it a year and a half after I got sober and I'm active in the Delphi forum, on the Ning forum page and a couple of mailing lists (I'm Mary Louise or MaryA there).

What has helped me has been the freedom to discuss all kinds of approaches and the idea that we can choose what works for each of us. Some very good listeners there and a basic respect, no moralising or prescriptive stuff.

Glad to hear things are going so well, Dr Sober.