Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keep there higher power while doing AVRT?

Blogs

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im a proud Christian but I really feel AVRT is working. Is it possible to use my higher power plus myself together? Just wondering if anyone else has done this thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to TameTheBeast For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (07-06-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, I'm not religious but I did study and use AVRT a couple of years ago. It helped. I still use some of the techniques. But I also use some of the SMART tools, go to WFS meetings, and have been to AA meetings more recently. I'm working on realizing what my higher power actually is. So... my opinion is that you can use whatever works! Use any and all things that work! The more the merrier... Lol.

ETA: I think I figured out AVRT intuitively and was using it before I was aware there was this technique. It just seemed like common sense to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (07-06-2013), TameTheBeast (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! I keep hearing about SMART but have no idea what it is, is it similar to Rational Recovery?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SMART stands for self-management and recovery training. It is secular and scientific-evidence based supposedly. The techniques used are from CBT (cognitive behavioral) and REBT (rational emotive behavioral) specifically.

This is from the SMART website in regard to RR:

Q. What is the history of the relationship between SMART RecoveryŽ and Rational Recovery?

A. SMART Recovery, a non-profit corporation, was originally named the Rational Recovery Self-Help Network, and was affiliated with Rational Recovery Systems, a for-profit corporation owned by Jack Trimpey. In 1994, the non-profit changed its name to SMART Recovery, and ended all affiliation with Trimpey. This change occurred because of disagreements between Trimpey and the non-profit's board of directors about the program of recovery to be offered in the self-help groups.

Q. What are the differences between SMART RecoveryŽ and Rational Recovery (RR)?

A. The ultimate organizational authority in SMART RecoveryŽ is the Board of Directors. The ultimate program authority is scientific knowledge and rational thought, as interpreted by the Program Committee and Board of Directors. In RR, the ultimate authority for all issues is the owners. SMART RecoveryŽ has a broad program that includes attention to motivation, urges, problem-solving and lifestyle balance. From the perspective of the SMART RecoveryŽ Program, RR (as of 1997) appears to have a narrower focus, primarily on urge coping. Earlier RR (as expressed in The Small Book, which is on the SMART RecoveryŽ Recommended Reading List) had a broader focus. SMART RecoveryŽ offers groups, publications, and an Internet listserve discussion group. RR offers educational workshops and publications.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
TameTheBeast (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome thanks!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. I don't drink, ever. I will never change my mind. That's all that is. Done.

I've "met" plenty of Christians and people of other faiths who used RR/AVRT to become permanently abstinent from drinking/using.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Received For This Useful Post:
Lenina (07-05-2013), RobbyRobot (07-06-2013), TameTheBeast (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My Higher Power really seems to work pretty well for me as I feel that if I am genuiine (within reason) things will, and have, slowly happen for the good.

I was an agnostic for yonks but now feel much better capable of handling religion also.

A.V.R.T.,,,,,,,whats that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bubovski For This Useful Post:
aw58 (07-06-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murchovski View Post
My Higher Power really seems to work pretty well for me as I feel that if I am genuiine (within reason) things will, and have, slowly happen for the good.

I was an agnostic for yonks but now feel much better capable of handling religion also.

A.V.R.T.,,,,,,,whats that?
Addictive Voice Recognition Technique .... rational.org thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I have a belief in God, and this belief is of my understanding too. This always seemed trite and self important to me, this phrase, how could you believe and not have an understanding too while yer at it? I digress.

The God of my understanding bestowed the free will catch 22 on me, so He is not going to be much good with the whole sobriety issue directly. This matter is ultimately up to me. He does place resources within reach for me from time to time, maybe a flexible and logical brain is one of those.

AVRT is outside of any religious or spiritual discussion, as religion and spirituality have no relevance to AVRT. Belief of any sort is fine, but not necessary for sobriety in this context. In the same way, self empowerment through AVRT does not contravene any religious or spiritual tenet that I understand.

A challenge for many of us in early sobriety is finding our new place in our world, and your religious belief may help with that. Namaste.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freshstart57 For This Useful Post:
Lenina (07-05-2013), RobbyRobot (07-06-2013), Soberpotamus (07-05-2013), TameTheBeast (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I have a belief in God, and this belief is of my understanding too. This always seemed trite and self important to me, this phrase, how could you believe and not have an understanding too while yer at it? I digress.

The God of my understanding bestowed the free will catch 22 on me, so He is not going to be much good with the whole sobriety issue directly. This matter is ultimately up to me. He does place resources within reach for me from time to time, maybe a flexible and logical brain is one of those.

AVRT is outside of any religious or spiritual discussion, as religion and spirituality have no relevance to AVRT. Belief of any sort is fine, but not necessary for sobriety in this context. In the same way, self empowerment through AVRT does not contravene any religious or spiritual tenet that I understand.

A challenge for many of us in early sobriety is finding our new place in our world, and your religious belief may help with that. Namaste.
Awesome man, you really help me more than you know, almost to the part of making my BP in the book, although my last drink was 3 days ago I realize that counting days doesnt really matter, Im still learning though, went to the store and a guy had a case in front of me, I thought I should grab a couple its hot, its the weekend then I realized that was Beast talking and grabbed a diet pepsi instead. Thank you for all that contribute here.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can quit drinking for good anytime, TametheBeast, and you do it by simply deciding that you will never feel sick and ashamed and guilty and angry and depressed and anxious anymore by drinking, and that you will face and deal with your life with all your abilities and talents and skills working for you, no matter what it brings. Once you have made this decision, it only makes sense that you will do it all for real, always for real. Hey Presto, Big Plan.

For me, TB, there was no joy or beauty or peace left for me, just misery and a deep sadness with alcohol. I was tired, those that love me were tired, and I just couldn't do it any more. It was time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freshstart57 For This Useful Post:
aw58 (07-06-2013), DoubtfulDebs (07-09-2013), TameTheBeast (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ya not to mention my wife is pregnant, Im happy to give this child a sober family..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TameTheBeast For This Useful Post:
aw58 (07-06-2013), Soberpotamus (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, my family was going to be a sober family, with or without me. No drunks, so it was my call in the end. Did I want that life with them for myself? I didn't do it for them, I did it so I could have them, and so I could have all the other things that make a life.
The Following User Says Thank You to freshstart57 For This Useful Post:
TameTheBeast (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your right again.. Life is so much more meaningful and even funner when your "present" in the moment.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

TTB, I kind of hesitate to post this in the secular forum, but you asked a direct question about higher power and AVRT, and I have thought a good deal about this, so here is my answer. I sincerely hope this does not offend anyone on this forum as being too out of place.

I personally feel that AVRT is a tool made available to me by a benevolent God. As freshstart says, "He does place resources within reach for me from time to time."

Do you know the old story of the man in the flood? He is drowning and a boat comes by to save him. He refuses to get in and says, "God will save me." He drowns, and then demands of God why He did not save him. And God says, "Well, who do you think sent that boat?"

I don't see why AVRT could not be a version of that boat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deckard For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (07-06-2013), TameTheBeast (07-05-2013), whipster (07-07-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks, you sure didn't offend me, that's exactly how I feel, and Im not sure if AVRT discussion is really in the right place of secular on this forum as it doesn't say that you have to or do not have to believe in God. Awesome post!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Spiritual beliefs or non-beliefs either way do not have any remarkable plus or minus effect when using AVRT. It really doesn't matter. Myself, I am a Christian too. Makes no difference with AVRT.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Spiritual beliefs or non-beliefs either way do not have any remarkable plus or minus effect when using AVRT. It really doesn't matter. Myself, I am a Christian too. Makes no difference with AVRT.

Good to know I wanted to make sure that they could coexist
The Following User Says Thank You to TameTheBeast For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm not religious but sure, they can coexist. No reason why a higher power can't be rolled into your big plan. Just don't think you can sit back and let God do the work!:rotfxko
The Following User Says Thank You to MythOfSisyphus For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TameTheBeast View Post
Life is so much more meaningful and even funner when you're "present" in the moment.
This is the nut of the whole shebang right there, I think. Funner is better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freshstart57 For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (07-06-2013), Soberpotamus (07-06-2013)