SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   "AVRT" vs. "Rational Recovery" (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/297327-avrt-vs-rational-recovery.html)

Deckard 06-09-2013 09:17 PM

"AVRT" vs. "Rational Recovery"

I've noticed that people on SR often refer to AVRT and Rational Recovery as separate things. In other words, if someone is giving a list of non-12-step approaches they might say:

AVRT
Rational Recovery
Life Ring
etc.

I would say that AVRT is a part of Rational Recovery. Am I missing something? Not trying to split hairs here... I just want to make sure I've got it straight.

Soberpotamus 06-09-2013 09:23 PM

Yes, from what I know and understand... AVRT is a technique used in Rational Recovery. Though it might be used on it's own? But I'm pretty sure Jack Trimpey created AVRT as part of RR.

LNC15 06-10-2013 03:15 AM

I thought it was part of rational recovery myself, another tool

NoelleR 06-10-2013 03:44 AM

Absolutely, everyone's right. RR uses AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique); as it says on the back cover of the book, Rational Recovery -- The New Cure for Substance Addiction...................:

ANYONE CAN QUIT DRINKING OR DRUGS NOW--FOR GOOD

"...Rational Recovery offers an unprecedented approach to alcoholism, problem drinking, and drug addiction known as the Addictive Voice Recognition Technique, or AVRT..."

"...AVRT is an aggressive self-recovery program that shows exactly how to take control of your addictive behavior now--and how to recover totally through planned abstinence. Rational Recovery refutes the concept of alcoholism as a disease and brings new hope to those who have been discouraged by traditional approaches to addiction. You will learn that within each substance abuser hides a "Beast" that craves its addiction. By following the simple logic of AVRT and putting into practice what you learn, you can defeat your Beast and remain sober--effortlessly--for the rest of your live..."

(o:
NoelleR

LNC15 06-10-2013 04:27 AM

rational recovery is also diverse in other avenues of life as well.
i use it for everyday living as well.

NoelleR 06-10-2013 05:26 AM

Although you may use techniques from rational recovery in you daily living, Rational Recovery is NOT diverse in any other avenues except addiction recovery......(see just what Jack Trimpey says RR actually is, and he should know; it's his baby)..........:

"...The combined mission of Rational Recovery Systems, Inc., is (1) to disseminate information on independent recovery from addiction through planned, permanent abstinence, (2) to make self-recovery a viable option to all addicted people everywhere, and (3) to make informed consent to addiction treatment and recovery group participation available to all addicted people..."

"...Rational Recovery® is the exclusive, worldwide source of information, counseling, guidance, and direct instruction on independent recovery through planned, permanent abstinence, i.e., Addictive Voice Recognition Technique® (AVRT®)..."

Of course, we could be talking about two distinctly different things.....: 1) rational recovery (however you define it); and 2) Rational Recovery, for recovery from addiction, as defined by Jack Trimpey, its founder.

(o:
NoelleR

LNC15 06-10-2013 06:01 AM

ok, so am I wrong?

soberlicious 06-10-2013 02:10 PM

Trimpey also wrote Taming the Feast Beast, and people routinely use AVRT to kick nicotine addiction. Yes, AVRT is focused solely on ending addiction, but it has been helpful for me personally to apply the technique in ending an abusive relationship (which some might argue is a "process addiction"). So yeah...

LNC15 06-10-2013 02:20 PM

LOL!! ok you are right :a108:

Certain things can be used for other reasons. But ok, if you want to win, then win.

:c021:

soberlicious 06-10-2013 08:13 PM

I'm not sure if you are talking to me, but I was agreeing with you dude.

I have no interest in winning anything, except maybe the lottery. I don't play though so....

Deckard 06-10-2013 08:33 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input on this! happyface: