AVRT to cope with emotional binge eating

Old 08-10-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

This post is just amazing. I'm so proud to be your friend. X
Old 08-10-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you, Jeni)

I am really lucky you are my pal)

I hope you are better today.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi again, pals.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I am good so far. But anxiety is through the roof. Feeling insecure, like always waiting for bad things to happen.

My boxing trainer made an interesting comment today: "You are thinking way too much. It messes up with your performance. Don't think - move. Stay relaxed".

Guilty as charged. Aways too serious, always too thoughtful, always suffering from too many thoughts. Always suffering. I just didn't know it is so obvious.

Any ideas how to stop thinking too much?))

See you all later.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Do you meditate MB? I'm starting a course on mindfulness meditation in a few weeks, I'm hoping it will help me with my anxiety and racing thoughts. They have pretty much gone since I stopped work interestingly enough, but I start back at school at the beginning of September. When I'm under pressure I don't sleep well and I massively over think everything. Slowing down, learning to breathe and relax doesn't come easily to me and that's when I miss the smoking.

Also, music can relax me. Oh, and laughing at myself...not taking myself so seriously, that helps me. I'm a bit of a one for beating myself up about EVERYTHING, but therapy is helping me accept myself for who I am, not who I think I should be.

Hope that helps x
Old 08-10-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thanks, Jeni)

I restarted meditation today.

I like what you said about accepting myself for who I am, not who I think I should be. I am the one as well who is beating myself up about EVERYTHING).

Listening to Robbie Williams now, trying to be a lil bit silly)
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I am good so far. But anxiety is through the roof. Feeling insecure, like always waiting for bad things to happen.

My boxing trainer made an interesting comment today: "You are thinking way too much. It messes up with your performance. Don't think - move. Stay relaxed".

Guilty as charged. Aways too serious, always too thoughtful, always suffering from too many thoughts. Always suffering. I just didn't know it is so obvious.

Any ideas how to stop thinking too much?))
I have the same problem with thinking too much. A fortune teller in Bangkok looked at my cards and before getting into the usual luck/romance stuff said, "you think too much." My GF nodded solemnly in agreement. So I suppose it can be obvious to other people.

And anxiety goes hand in hand with it. Last week, I was positive I'd made a big mistake at work - think think think about all the things that could go wrong. I was bracing myself for the worst, having despaired of fixing the "problem" when the person about whom I'd been worried called me to thank me; everything was cool.

The best book I've discovered for our affliction is the late Richard Carlson's "You Can Be Happy No Matter What."

I've read it at least a hundred times and it always makes me feel better; I just tend to forget its lessons when I'm most upset.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Riel)

Thank you for you input! I can totally relate to your situation at work - I used to be the same way. And thought it's easier with work now I keep doing it about other things in life.

I'll definitely check out the book.

Best wishes to you)
Old 08-11-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, pals)

How's everyone doing?

I am better today, did morning meditation. Actually, it was more "brunch time" meditation, but still)

I think I am going to keep a diary of changes I stated in the amendments to the Big Plan, and will post it here - it will keep me more responsible, since it's hard to come out with some crappy excuses like "My irrational beliefs told me that I should go beat myself up a little bit because it's a way to show my "humility", etc. And hopefully this won't be just another post to "shoot the breeze" and then go back to binge eating again)

Ok, what's on my agenda today?

I'll be back later)
Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, all.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend, and Monday is easy on you)

I am feeling great for no reason. I am trying not to analyze or "take advantage" of it, trying to do as many things as possible while my energy is ok and mood is fine.

Just giggling on online jokes (part of my homework, I think), enjoying summer breeze, gentle but not so hot sun (my absolutely favourite weather).

The beast lays low. Maybe doing some scuba diving in this drowned town, I don't know)

Have a good day, pals)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hi, glad you're doing well, you sound good.

I'm still craving cigarettes big time, it's been quite a few days now and the beast has not let up. I know why. I'm worrying about stuff and it sees a way in. Not caved, but it is being very persistent!!

Keep giggling at those jokes, that's the best therapy of all xxx
Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Jeni.

Sorry you are having hard times with the beast. I know that feeling - when I worry the beast is always around and ready to take advantage of the moment.

As for anxiety - along with restarted meditation (thanks for the reminder!), these two last days putting things into perspective helps to me settle my emotions. Will this matter for me in five years? Mostly I have a negative answer. Five years, even maybe one year from now it won't matter at all.

Stay strong, I know you are strong. Really. Don't doubt this. And the beast is powerless. Keep telling this to yourself.

My most positive vibes and big hugs to you.

Yesterday I planned to post diary of my changes. I've started to make a list of things to do today, then I've been thinking how to track them.. Ok, I am working on it, but things are to be done till I am working on the list))) Actually, in a nutshell the plan looks like this:

- Recognize AV in any form, don't listen to it;
- Get my butt to work, put fingers on the keyboard, do work. Not to get my butt of the chair till work is done;

- Keep my butt of the fridge. Period;

- Stop thinking to much constantly asking dead enders like "what if..." and, "I want to do it, but...". Plan, do, relax;

Bloss - how are you doing?

See you)
Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi peeps...ive not bin ere for a bit now...but lv reading yr posts....v v insightful...i think thats a word??? Anyhoo...just popped to say hiya to yalls ..big hugs xx cleo xxx
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Cleo!

Glad to see you!

Big hugs to you too)
Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Monday @ 1:08 p.m.

I've been listening to Steven Halpern quite a bit, lots of music with positive affirmations and some regarding meditation. I took several meditation classes both in a group setting and individually several years back. Only problem was at the time, I was still active in drinking alcohol. Now, I am returning to the training I received. I am so keyed up most of the time, I will end up drinking if I don't learn to relax. I'm learning the harder I try to relax and let go of the "hamster wheel" thoughts, the more impossible it is to relax. I'm reminded that if I stop trying so hard, relaxation will happen. The place I am in right now is where I am. Not sitting in a room overeating or drinking abusively "wanting, waiting" for an event to occur. It will occur when I am alright and at peace with the moment I am in.

Sending positive thoughts out to all,
Bloss
Old 08-12-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Dya know wot?? Yrs n yrs ago...a v v close friend of mine would just 'pop" up to my flat...n give me the bestest ever head massage ever in the whole wide world ...ever...we would just breathe together...and when he was do e...hed just give me a lil peck on my forehead ...and would leave.....omg...do i miss him....and those so very precious...very spiritual moments.....pure heaven......mmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I know that prob has no relevance...just miss it...boy could i use one now....lv n hugs cleo xxx
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Cleo)

I think it has all the relevance because it's about emotions, and emotions hold a lot of responsibility for what we do on daily life.

I can relate to you feelings, but, maybe, try to close your eyes, remember those moments and feel that warmness, and compassion, and understanding, and plunge for a couple of minutes in the spiritual moments which brought you peace and good feelings. Hugs to you.

Jeni - in case if the beast still persist - DON'T LISTEN. All that it says - crap, rubbish, s**. You deserve so much better than to be bullied by some stupid AV. Big hugs to you)

Bloss - I love what you wrote about meditation. That's my problem to - I am trying too hard to relax instead of just letting go and letting myself slip into relaxation. "Wanting and waiting for and event to occur" - exactly. I am meditating every day again now, it needs constant practice, I think. Have a great day)

As for me - there's apparently some bad blood between my butt and chair when it comes to getting to work. I've been fighting it all day, and it took me hell lot efforts to win. But I did)

See you all, my pals)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Awe midnight you r sooooo thoughtful...a real lovie ....u r rite ...i am gonna do it rite now......mmmmmmmmmmm oh how it is wonderful to be free of thoughts??? Im a real dang thinker...just need to stop every once in a while...ty for reminding me to do so.....actually...this wk..ive really enjoyed being back wiv u peeps ...i missed it..and realised just how fab this lil community is ...hugs xx cleo xx.....oh and jen...my huni pie.....u rock....lvs yas xxxx
Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Pals)

I am celebrating 10 months of sobriety today - I think, another score to me, and a kick in the butt to the beast)

Cleo - Thanks for kind words. We are also glad you are back! And, as another dang thinker, I absolutely agree - it's so wonderful to leave all the thoughts off-board and just enjoy a moment, like waves of the warm and gentle ocean).

Jeni - Have a good day, my friend)

Bloss - enjoy your meditation.

I'll ses you all later)
Old 08-14-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 months MB

You are doing SO well!xx

I'm having a bit of a wobble, some anxiety that I can't shake off easily and it's getting a grip. I will sort it out, after all I'm a badass aren't I?

Hi to Cleo, I LOVE your posts, great to have you with us.

Love to all x