Stanton Peele - anyone familiar with his methods

Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stanton Peele - anyone familiar with his methods

I found reference to Peele while googling around last night - this article is of particular interest:

The Controversial Heretic Who's Taking On AA | The Fix

I did a quick search on SR but could not find any threads about this Dr. Stanton Peele.

Anyone familiar with him?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've read a little about him and I've heard him speak on a few videos. There is discussion about him on this site. Do an advanced search on "search all open forums" on his name. I believe he writes on the Psychology Today and Huffington Post websites, and he's written a few books. I'm not familiar with the his recovery methods, other then I know it's not a 12-step type program.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

I read the article, and I've always been curious about him. I very much agree with his viewpoints, and I like that he's willing to challenge 'the establishment'. He seems to appeal to the rebel in me. I'll have to check out some of his books.

I like his name, too: He sounds like some tycoon from a Victorian novel
Old 05-19-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My Beast loved that article, especially the part where he talks about total abstinence being unnecessary for most alcoholics. Zounds!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, I don't think one has to agree with every point to find some good in it. Not to mention, I don't think one needs to look at this 'beast' of basic needs, drives and impluses as something bad, but to disentangle the unhealthy things that get tangled up with it. If anything, I prefer to see AVRT as restoring healthy beast function, as much as anything else, as I think things like food, sex, sensuality and the animistic are just as much a part of us as anything. I don't see these two parts of the brain as higher and lower functions, but part of a whole that one can bring one into greater functionality. I think it's this sense of duality that has made AVRT hard for me...I prefer the term 'addictive voice', but the beast part seems derogatory to me, somehow, like something to be ashamed of, and that part, I don't see as helpful.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Went to his website/infomercial site. Lol at calling out A.A. For being all about the money while charging like $900 for his services. Nothing to see here, move on. RR is like 6 dollars on amazon.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

His books are also available online for less than ten dollars, and free at libraries. I found it a very useful article, and point of view.

There's a lot to see there; I'd encourage people to take a look, and if you feel funny about the dogma of a recovery program, then, yes, I think you should question it.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why the outrageous price ?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Online psychology/counseling isn't new, though I agree it does seem pricey. Still, people need to make a living somehow, and it is cheap, compared to the overall rehab industry, where I see these $30,000 a month places that look like luxury hotels.

I still think one can glean insights from the writings, even if he has launched this online 'program'.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is nothing he has to offer that I want any part of.

Snake oil.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I dunno. He seems to have been the first to use CBT, even before SMART, and look to the field of psychology and evidence based methods. I'm not sure why people seem so put off by him. He seems no more alarming than that Trimpey fellow; they seem rather similar to me.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

He speaks the truth. Pure science and statistics. Cold hard facts. Hardly a snake oil salesman
Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Some choose to see it as "pure science and statistics" and "cold hard facts". Science and statistics can be easily manipulated in order to achieve a desired result. "Cold hard facts", as you call them, are many times a result of that. This is what I came away with. All a matter of perspective I guess.

He makes some valid singular points, imo, but his connecting the dots falls short.

I suppose if it helps people that's great.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AA and their supporters are the ones doing the manipulating...not Stanton Peele
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I consider myself quite open minded and I always love to learn new things especially if it can enhance my recovery. I believe there are many ways to become and stay sober
Now, his attacks on AA are quite a turn off for me, not because I am a "brainwashed" AA member but because it makes me think that if his method was so great, he would not have to spend all that time and energy dissing another system to peddle his wares.
If his site focused more on what his method is all about and why it works, I d probably order some of his books but I really don't want to read hundreds of pages of attacks and negativity.

Edited to add: if his system help people recover from alcoholism then that's great, addiction is such an horrible thing. I will always give a thumb up to any method which helps people get away from the misery of alcoholism even if it is not something I want to do or think can work for me.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think that any program that helps someone get sober is worth it whether I agree with it or not.

I also believe that I prefer to stick to programs created by someone who has been there and used that program to get sober themselves. Sure, someone can be a great psychologist but if that person has not overcome addiction, then it is hard to trust their view. The concept of something or addiction in the abstract is not the same as going through it in real life. But that is just me.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am firmly against the recovery group methodology that has been touted for years. If anything, I consider myself a former victim of it albeit it was all I knew about and therefore out of pure raw fear I did not drink for 13 years.

AVRT is what has finally allowed me to experience a permanent abstinence from alcohol void of all the emotional turmoil I experienced using a recovery group method.

Even though this is my opinion based on my experience, I no longer have any feelings of anger and resentment about the popular recovery group I had the first couple months I found SR and came to learn about AVRT.

One has to do what one has to do if they want to get sober and stay sober. I'm just glad I found another way.