Duty

Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Duty

Twenty-four years in the Navy taught me a thing or two about duty. I had to do a multitude of things I didn't really want to do. Whether I wanted to do them or agreed with the mission did not matter. They had to be done.

I began looking at my sobriety in a similar light earlier today. I don't have to like it, I just have to do it. It's my duty. I have been given fantastic gifts in this life - health, wealth, family - it's immoral and selfish for me to sacrifice those for alcohol. I have a stack of personal citations from the Department of Defense saying I exemplify devotion to duty. Time to live up to my billing.

Members at a group I formerly attended frequently used the expression, "fake it 'til you make it". Devotion to duty seems like a variation on that theme. For now, I'm going with it.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Well said non. Well said.

I will consider looking at mine the same way. Thanks for that.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being Responsible. Responsibility.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Great post. I really needed to read this. I need to start taking this attitude towards my work as well as my sobriety. Thanks for inspiring me today.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

One thing, I suspect, that made your "duty" easier was your memory of having made an oath upon enlistment.
I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
That oath was time limited for while you were in the service.

Paul, you still have, like every other adult person, the capacity to make an oath called the Big Plan, which, by including the term "never", means you can only do it once.

For me, the Big Plan makes the "duty" of R'ing my AV just about the easiest T in the world. A "duty" of NOT doing something. For me, the R has become a reflex more than a recognition. Addictive Voice Recognition Technique has morphed into Addictive Voice Reflex, all thanks to, first, deciding drinking was despicably wrong for me, ever; and, second, thus making the Big Plan.

Well, I hear your recent lack of disdain at your own drinking and its consequences, so, WHEN and IF you come to decide drinking ever again will ALWAYS be morally reprehensible for YOU, the Big Plan and AVRT is there to set you free from both addiction and recovery.

GT
Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The morality of drinking, or, in my case, the immorality, was what finally sealed the deal airtight for me.

I voluntarily made some connections in my mind just to add the padlocks to the door on ever drinking again. I have a friend whose husband and baby daughter were killed in a split second by a drunk driver. While I never had a DUI charge, I certainly could have been arrested and convicted more than once for getting behind the wheel after a snootful.

I use this historical fact to conflate drinking again ever with vehicular homicide while impaired. If I were to drink, I could kill some mother's child and destroy her Mama's life in the process. I could be responsible for a tragedy like the one that will follow my friend for her remaining days on this earth. Drinking is now a moral question for me. Don't worry, I have an answer, and it looks a lot like a Big Plan - I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.

Paul, you are an honorable and dutiful man, and you have proof of it under the most difficult conditions imaginable. This sobriety thing is a thing you can do. You can choose to no longer be dishonored by your actions. Ever again. You can do this thing, Soldier.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Love it, Paul - an excellent way to look at it. Proud of you.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I like it Paul.

Joyce Meyer said: “Character is doing what you don't want to do but know you should do.”

Good orderly direction and a will to action have equated success throughout human history. That winning formula also puts an end to addiction.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like the way your mind is working today!!! I hope you are doing great! Keep up the good work!!
On a side note, there's a quote I tell myself when I want to cut corners at work and I applied it to some stinking thinking I was having today. I am going to be all alone his weekend with no one to see me slip. I keep telling myself this, "integrity is what you do when no one else is watching"
It helps me a lot. Sort of like duty I guess.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
YES! OMGi'msohappytoreadthis!

Thank you, Non. You're making sense again. xo
Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I find myself thinking about this the last 2 days....
My medical students are taught ethics..lying in any form is a serious breach of professionalism...
It's my responsibility to myself and my loved ones to stay sober...and do what needs to be done to stay that way..
Even after extended time...i can waffle..
Waffles are best with syrup and bacon...not thoughts about wine.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Last Monday - Monday I drank 4 out of 8 days. Is it any wonder I was in a fog on Tuesday? Couldn't see it then, but I see it now.

Thinking a bit more about oaths...
My wife and I took oaths to love each other for better or worse...
Two points on this:

1. Love is an action verb in that oath. It requires DOING something.

2. Implicit in that oath is the understanding that we will strive to bring the BETTER to the marriage. It is not just grossly unfair to consistently bring my WORSE and expect her to deal with it because she took an oath, it is also a violation of my oath.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

glad to see you are back posting, Non, instead of your AV/Beast/IT.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Joyce Meyer said: “Character is doing what you don't want to do but know you should do.”
And here I thought character is doing what you don't want to do and not posting about it on facebook.

Grins,
Genie
Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
jkb

Yay Non..... So glad your back You are a Badass !!!!!!!! And with that said let me know when it is safe for me to whine to you about my sobriety again....:rotfxko Jess
Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You have inspired the title of my first book:

Bad Ass and Whine

Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
jkb

Lol... checking in on you. How are you doing?????
Old 05-21-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Fine, thank you for asking. Just not feeling sociable today.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
jkb

Glad to hear it....
Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

jkb, love your "good luck" sign,