SMART Recovery

Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I like the SMART tools as well - a very good way to analyze your thoughts and behaviors. I tried to get into the online meetings a couple of times, but always missed the cut-off. The forum is pretty dead as well.

I also tried LifeRing, but I can't for the life of me figure out what you are supposed to do there - no tools, no program. I did one online meeting but the facilitator left about 40 minutes with no warning, no goodbye, just suddenly gone.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I don't remember their being a specific amount of clean time when I signed up for my training but it was a while ago. Even if you were never to facilitate a group I learned a great deal in detail about the tools. It was a wonderful experience for me.

I also found it very helpful, especially dealing with irrational thoughts, while living with my addict sister.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I like the SMART tools as well - a very good way to analyze your thoughts and behaviors. I tried to get into the online meetings a couple of times, but always missed the cut-off. The forum is pretty dead as well.

I also tried LifeRing, but I can't for the life of me figure out what you are supposed to do there - no tools, no program. I did one online meeting but the facilitator left about 40 minutes with no warning, no goodbye, just suddenly gone.
Hi Jazz,

I've done both SMART and LifeRing online meetings. SMART you do need to get there early and click away, if you want to get in. If it's full, you can try just keep clicking to get in. Someone usually will leave or lose connection and you'll eventually get in. They have a meeting here in the Chat room on Fridays. I checked it out the last couple of times. It's a "Topic" format, that one, which would be a little closer to LifeRing than SMART.

LifeRing does have a workbook and some basic Philosophy points, but they don't push it or particularly care if you use it. If structure is your preference, SMART is a better fit. I tend to be on the other end of the spectrum myself. I've read all the SMART tools, and most seem reasonable to me. I've never actively used them though, in my recovery. The idea of life style balance, which is a core SMART concept, is very important to my recovery however.

Online meetings certainly can be frustrating, if you allow that. You'll not get in, or get bumped, or a scheduled meeting won't happen. It just comes with the territory.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I really like the idea of SMART but BOY does it sure does seem extensive. I've moved away from the 12 steps for reasons of my own but one thing they had in their favor was that they are short and simple.

Then again maybe that's why they didn't seem to work for me.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts which referred to another website.

What happens on other websites is not the topic of this thread.

Thanks
D
Old 07-01-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Kirashi,

I was going to make some comments for you, but I guess that's off topic. Poof a couple posts were gone. Didn't seem much more than a recovery/frustration issue to me, but I guess everything is a bit of a judgment call. Oh well, I hope you continue to find places that fit well with you on your journey. Sounds like you are having a fair amount of success on that end, despite a bump or two though.

I do a LifeRing online meeting. You may want to check out one of there's if you haven't already. I've attended a couple online meetings here also. The format here is topic meeting, one person talk at a time, no cross talk allowed. I prefer a more open discussion, but I understand on a place with so many strong and differing opinions, why they have a no cross talk rule.

Originally Posted by lizak View Post
I really like the idea of SMART but BOY does it sure does seem extensive. I've moved away from the 12 steps for reasons of my own but one thing they had in their favor was that they are short and simple.

Then again maybe that's why they didn't seem to work for me.
Hey Lizak,

I read through all the SMART stuff early on in my own recovery, but never really used any of it. Seems like a lot of work, for no particular reason to me anyway. I agree with you, simple works best, at least for me it does. I liked the idea of some of the SMART tools, some just seem silly to me though and why so many. It seems a bit too much overload, to be helpful for someone starting out or even with a bit of time in, at least in my opinion.

I prefer LifeRing over SMART for that aspect. They have three books. A workbook, a book called “Empowering Your Sober Self” and one called “How was your week?” which is their training manual for people running the meetings. I've never read the workbook, but I did read the “Empowering” book early on. I think it covered enough of what probably is in the workbook, too though. They don't have all the full library of “tools” that SMART does, but do have one or two. I can't say that I found those helpful in the least and didn't care for the book much at all. One thing I did like out of it though was basically this. The LifeRing book I read essentially said, some people will only go to online meetings, some people will only go to f2f, some people will only use the forums or e-mail lists, some people will only use the workbook or parts of the workbook and other people will use everything or something in between. Their point was all of it's OK. Use as little or as much as you want, in whatever way makes sense to you.

Since I thought most of their “canned” ideas are a bit, well lets just say they aren't my cup of tea, I like the take what you want leave the rest attitude. I'd say it's pretty true in practice also. I've been to lots of LifeRing online meetings, before I started doing my own. Rarely do any of the LR “canned” ideas even get mentioned in the meetings. SMART's intention, if I understand it correctly, isn't to push their material at meetings either, but in my experience at least, they have a harder time not doing it. Online meetings and f2f meetings are a bit of different animals too with SMART, again that has just been my experience with it anyway.

I'll break to a separate post, for my next train of thought. (Actually it's late now, so I'll save that for tomorrow).

Best to you.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was going to make some comments for you, but I guess that's off topic. Poof a couple posts were gone. Didn't seem much more than a recovery/frustration issue to me, but I guess everything is a bit of a judgment call. Oh well, I hope you continue to find places that fit well with you on your journey. Sounds like you are having a fair amount of success on that end, despite a bump or two though.
Todd, I think my post was pretty clear, unambiguous and not needing further comment.

Lets all refocus on the OP - thanks

Originally Posted by shockozulu
We don't have a thread on SMART yet I know I'm not the only one who uses it so I thought I'd start this thread to discuss our successes, which tools we have gap found to be most helpful and any questions you may have about the tools.

If there is enough interest I may start up a meeting in the chat room again.
anything else - take it to PM please.

D
Old 07-06-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Today I hade a very difficult decisions to make. I am in an unhealthy situation at home and have a decision to move to Ohio in a stable dog friendly house. Sine I've hived in this town my entire life it was an emotional issue so I needed to judge it on a non emotional level. I pulled out my trusty CBA and worked. It out. No way am I staying. It's always amazed me how well the SMART tools work in life that has nothing to do with addiction.

It came out to move out of state or,stay with my roommate . It out positive of the move. So hands down I'm going.

These are great tools for living,