Blogs

Notices

How Important is Subtle AV Recognition?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

C'mon Robby. Put your smile back on.

This is the most strongly opinionated sector of the SR world. There's lot's of people here that are successful with their own paths to not drinking. Strong people. I humbly learn from all of you. I know no one can shake your collective conviction in what you have accomplished.

Y'all don't go to war over your success.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Somebody has a case of the Mondays.

Robby, you confuse the bejesus out of me, but I appreciate your contributions.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Sure, put it back on me. Why not.

It's not about shaking my convictions. I'm good. Nothing about me has changed. It's about some of you guys must realize I can fight back, yeah?

Is that what we want?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Robby is in no way a poster person for AA. In fact I wouldn't have even known about his AA involvement until he was asked to speak about it.

I can see both sides. I can see quit and make the big plan - then what? I myself have no adult company of an eve, of a week - I can see that being around others in a group can be beneficial. I'm not a religious person, but I am an old hippy at heart and deeply loving and caring, spiritual perhaps - if this could be brought out more in me through some part of the AA work then all good for it.

I've just received a voucher to get my cats speyed from the cats protection league UK, in return I have offered to be a driver for them and to stand 2 hours in a shop taking donations. Something I have NEVER done before, but it feels good to give back and to pass forward something.

I won't be going to an AA meeting, but I do believe in helping others, giving and passing forward whether it be through knowledge, time, or experience.

I do believe that giving up resentments for example helps our well being. I've learned that through life, not through AA - but it's something that needs to be done.

I'll get attacked for this as I am on a day 4 again after a messy time with anti-depressants. Fine attack me.

I can see where it all comes together though. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. For me personally, I could get a lot of peace from some of the steps. That's just basic counselling. Make peace, move on and pay it forward.

It's not so cut and dried. To me anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyTimeNow For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by MyTimeKnow
I'll get attacked for this as I am on a day 4 again after a messy time with anti-depressants. Fine attack me.
Fine.

WHY'D YOU LEAVE A PENGUIN ON THE TELLY???

I'm going through "silly time" now. Let's keep playing!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thanks, MyTimeNow. Really appreciated. Yeah, I just simply do not go around posting to whomever they should do program, go to meetings, read the BigBook. I do support people who want to, and I support people who don't.

Thanks, again. I was hoping my years here on SR would amount to some people knowing about me. I feel almost ashamed that I can be so easily reduced to that AA/AVRT guy...

Hey, also congrats on your day four. way cool. good to hear about you not giving up. me either. giving up blows.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

This thread took a strange turn today. I blame soberlicious. She should have prevented this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nonsensical For This Useful Post:
SoberKnitter (04-09-2013), soberlicious (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Thanks, MyTimeNow. Really appreciated. Yeah, I just simply do not go around posting to whomever they should do program, go to meetings, read the BigBook. I do support people who want to, and I support people who don't.

Thanks, again. I was hoping my years here on SR would amount to some people knowing about me. I feel almost ashamed that I can be so easily reduced to that AA/AVRT guy...
I wouldn't have ever known, to me you were and are a bloke that has been sober almost as long as I have been alive. Been through a hell of a lot that none of us could ever imagine - culminating in what you went through last year and still you have the grace to smile and love yourself and others. That's an amazing well rounded - not only mind, but heart. I really appreciate what you have to give and so do many others. It's not about the AA/AVRT, at all, not to me anyway. It's about the support and encouragement and just your huge heart that comes across wanting to help others.

I'm struggling to see the problem. Other than choose RRTNC - then that's almost your bible and there is no other way. I can see how that works, but I can see how a spiritual life works and I want that too - fulfillment. I think for some people they have to go hand in hand.
RobbyRobot (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
This thread took a strange turn today. I blame soberlicious. She should have prevented this.
Would it help if SoberKnitter and I sang to you again?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Received For This Useful Post:
Nonsensical (04-09-2013), SoberKnitter (04-09-2013), soberlicious (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Fine.

WHY'D YOU LEAVE A PENGUIN ON THE TELLY???

I'm going through "silly time" now. Let's keep playing!
Erm...

Because he was watching Dancing on Ice? *Boom boom*

No, that was rubbish...
Nonsensical (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Received View Post
Would it help if SoberKnitter and I sang to you again?
I'm pretty sure that singing on a recovery forum is AV.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nonsensical For This Useful Post:
Received (04-09-2013), SoberKnitter (04-09-2013), soberlicious (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ya'll will either stop this or I'll start drinking again. Now. I got booze in the house.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Ya'll will either stop this or I'll start drinking again. Now. I got booze in the house.
I'm really sure THAT was AV.

No fair holding us hostage with your sobriety. Meanie pants!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nonsensical For This Useful Post:
Received (04-09-2013), SoberKnitter (04-09-2013), soberlicious (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Well, that's not funny. Talking about drinking is always awkward when first getting sober, yeah?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Awkward? Watching y'all is awkward. ESPECIALLY TO A NEWBIE. Get beyond yourself. I'm new to this. If there's politics and positioning involved, I'm gonna run like hell from here! Declare you null and void!

If you're going to try and present a position or method that should help people then you better get it right. OTHERWISE, claim it for yours and yours alone.

And don't tell me that's what you've been doing. There's been enough name-writing in the snow to go around. LEAVE IT.

Sorry, had to vent for a minute.

The smartest people I've found in abstinence/sobriety were infighting and it was ruining my calm.
The Following User Says Thank You to trachemys For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

If you're going to try and present a position or method that should help people then you better get it right. OTHERWISE, claim it for yours and yours alone.

And don't tell me that's what you've been doing. There's been enough name-writing in the snow to go around. LEAVE IT.

Sorry, had to vent for a minute.
You're venting is cool with me. As for me claiming it as my own... I did do that.. and I was ASKED to share my experiences, my lifestyle choices. And I did get it right... right for me.

As for LEAVE IT....

Yeah, when I feel satisfied I'm not being pushed around and used. Not there yet, okay?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
First off...hilarious...the singing, the yelling about the penguin on the telly, the irreverent jokes about relapsing (my fav btw). Thank you for the belly laugh.

Non, I had this same conversation with a former (and sorely missed) member. I disagreed about counting time necessarily being AV. I recognize my yearly date (the day I changed my life). I do not see that as AV, but it was hotly debated (it might not have been that big of a deal I just like to say "hotly debated"). Anyway, my point in that conversation was, celebrating my yearly date doesn't keep me sober any more than celebrating my kids' birthday keeps them alive. It's just an acknowledgement of something cool. I did see through the conversation with this very knowledgeable member though, that counting time is how the beast gets a foothold for many.

So musing about how good that drink looks or wishing you weren't an "alcoholic" (whatever that it), may be no bigs for you since you have that handy dandy BP. Technically it is AV through the lens of AVRT though.

I often muse about all kinds of weird stuff. I have found over the years that my musings very rarely center on alcohol because *I* have no interest in it and my beast is so weak she just doesn't even bother.

If it has to do with booze, it's AV. I think that bothers your Beast a little, Non. It's like your beast is saying through you "Gosh you guys, you don't have to be such hardasses, I mean not everything involving booze is AV. That's just a little overboard don't you think?" The voice of the beast is the AV.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soberlicious For This Useful Post:
jkb (04-10-2013), SoberKat9 (04-11-2013), SoberKnitter (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Robby, can anyone here push you around and use you?
The Following User Says Thank You to trachemys For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Robby, can anyone here push you around and use you?
Yeah. Why couldn't they? Perhaps I'm the only guy capable of pushing people around, do you think?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

well yeah, could be the situation