recommend this book

Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

recommend this book

I was still drinking until a few days ago, haven't been posting - would start writing something, feel unable to express what i wanted to say and abandon it, kind of how I approach lots of things
anyone else here like that? seem to of read that a few times of late that perfectionism is a dream killer - and now i realize its not really perfectionism but an excuse

I'm half way through a book that is really inspiring me called Finding Ultra by Rich Roll.
I have always had an interest in health which is ironic knocking back too much wine (at least it has the good natural phenols and polyphenols right)
Its by a former alcoholic that is now a top vegan insurance athlete and didn't start the health kick till he was 40, he's not all hard core about the vegan thing but a really cool evolved guy
The first half of the book goes over his life of how he was a shy kid, kind of an outsider and that when he discovered drinking it made him fell normal and confident, there are so many things he writes about that are exactly the way I am, he was a heavy drinker which lead to a stint in rehab
So I highly recommend this book, its helped push me into deciding not to drink again (I did have 15 months under my belt until 9 months ago)
here is a link to an interview with him: Rich Roll Interview - YouTube
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love Rich Roll! I listen to his podcasts. He has inspired me to train for a marathon this year. Vegan power!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wow that's awesome!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do like that he turned his tendency toward addiction into a superpower, which I think it is. We just have to get addicted to the right things.

And, as someone in her late 30's, I love that he reinvented himself at 40.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

a lovely sober Friday night with no urge to drink, its been a long time since I felt this way
some more reading, just discovered this, didn't know there was an addiction and recovery page on huffingtonpost
Addiction and Recovery: Pictures, Videos, Breaking News
Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there. I love reading and am also a vegetarian, not gone the whole vegan thing yet! Im day 3 of detox feel like death warmed up and plan (much to my kids horror) on spending the day on the sofa so I will see if I can order it on my Kindle. I have just finished 'High Sobriety' by Alice King. Dont know if you will have heard of her, probs not as she is only really a household name in the UK. She was a wine critic for our biggest high end supermarket, wine writer & household name. She grew up in France, so was brought up indulging in wine etc from an early age. She beacame famous in wine circles from a young age, attending glittery lifestyle parties etc, she basically convinced herself most of her life that getting para on champagne and expensive wine does not an alcoholic make!!! She thought alcoholics were only people lying with cans on park benches. Its a funny read, she does try to intersperse comedy with the reality. Ends up in recovery and AA and changes her life. Highly recommend it. xx
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks fruitymarzipan (dang why didn't i think of that name, too funny)
that book sounds totally up my alley, will look around for it. I actually lived in the UK back in the 80s 90s so the name is familiar.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by SoberKnitter
And, as someone in her late 30's, I love that he reinvented himself at 40.
Funny I just met a 73 year old woman who beat my 5k time in a race last weekend. I am a very young 47 and she told me she started running at 50. 23 years later she has many half marathons under her belt. She is one beautiful badass...inside and out.

azureseas, thanks for posting the recommendation. I'm def going to get this one.