SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Think I'm going to migrate over here from the newcomers page... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/289481-think-im-going-migrate-over-here-newcomers-page.html)

avocado 03-30-2013 06:34 PM

Think I'm going to migrate over here from the newcomers page...

since that seems to be the busiest forum on this site I think people tend to stay there, but it's really not doing it for me. I'd like to get deeper into the theory and ideas behind my own recovery than it seems like will happen over there, and now that I have about 100 days sober and am fully confident I won't be drinking in the near future I suppose it's time to move on from there anyway as my main board. Since I'm an atheist and god talk kinda annoys me, I suppose this is the best place to hang out.

Nonsensical 03-30-2013 06:46 PM

Do you have a plan for transitioning back to drinking in the future, or are you just taking it as it goes for now?

avocado 03-30-2013 07:01 PM

Right now my plan is to not drink at all. Right now I don't believe I can moderate my drinking and I don't know how or if I will ever get to the point that I can. I believe there is a possibility that some time in the future I will get to a point in my life where I do think I can moderate, but I don't know as of now what that will feel like. I will have to be 100% certain that it's the case and I'm perfectly comfortable with the thought of never drinking again if that's what happens. I see it as a much better alternative than risking a slide back to the way I've been the last few years. However, I'm not convinced that it's impossible for me to get to that point where I know I can safely moderate my drinking.

Received 03-30-2013 07:12 PM

Welcome, Avocado. Some excellent threads here. I stayed not drinking in a popular recovery program for 13 years and then "relapsed" for five years before arriving here. I have not drank alcohol since I joined here and found Rational Recovery/AVRT to have the answers to all the doubts I had about the other recovery method.

Look around and let us know how if we an answer any questions or help in any way.

ETA: Rational Recovery is not the only game in town but it along with my doctor and seeing a therapist who appreciates the Rational Recovery approach I am secure in my total, forever abstinence from alcohol

avocado 03-30-2013 08:00 PM

cool, thanks. I have the SMART handbook and I've been to the RR website. I'm sure I will learn more as I read through this board.

Received 03-30-2013 08:23 PM

I bumped a couple of threads for you and another new member interested in RR.

SMART, I'm told is also great for f2f and is a spin off of sorts from RR. Not sure if you have meetings near you but I believe they have workbooks available online.

freshstart57 03-30-2013 09:12 PM

Hi Avocado, you are most welcome to hang around here. There isn't as much traffic, but my goodness, there are some wise folks. And more than our share of rigorous honesty too.

RDBplus3 03-31-2013 06:05 AM

Hello Avocado,
I move across a lot of areas on this website. I fancy myself to be like The Steppenwolf, the wolf of the steps from Herman Hesse's book. (Delusional?)

I consider myself to be a Christian (not to be confused with some of the 'Religious' trappings), but I like Secular Connections, because like the founder of AVRT, I believe in taking personal responsibility first, then my spiritual concepts and connection can be pursued with proper perspective. I do also enjoy interacting on the Christian forum.

Being new in my commitment to Sobriety, I interact on the Newcomers forum a lot also. I differ from what I understand Trimpey's position to be about not needing interaction with others once my Big Plan was made, I 'Prefer' to have interaction with others in 'Recovery' or whatever is the 'acceptable' AVRT term.

Also, I use the Chat Room quite often. It provides a safe means of distraction, which actually helps me sidestep some of the Beast AV activity.

trachemys 03-31-2013 03:35 PM

Welcome, avocado. I often described the Newcomer's area as the lifeboat.

Here is where you man your own ship.

avocado 03-31-2013 03:48 PM

that's a great analogy.

trachemys 03-31-2013 05:34 PM

welcome

trachemys 03-31-2013 05:35 PM

I had a bad day, so welcome is all i can do

soberlicious 03-31-2013 05:39 PM

Sorry about your day trachemys. xo

and welcome avocado :)

Received 03-31-2013 08:58 PM

Yeah, trachemys, sorry you had a bad day.

Hang in there. You are important and valuable here.

shockozulu 04-03-2013 08:47 PM

Welcome Avacado to Secular Connections.

Harveysmiles 04-12-2013 11:00 AM

Avecado
I share your feelings about the god thing. I am only 3 weeks sober and have discovered this forum very recently. I plan to stick around.