Blogs

Notices

Is this progress?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
I've committed to that and I will continue staying sober. If I fail

but now you're feeling misunderstood and are "arguing your case" when in fact we gave you what you said you wanted huh?

No I'm not arguing my case, I thought some people misunderstood what I said, thinking I was saying I was going to turn into a moderate drinker. This isn't what I was meaning at all so I wanted to make it crystal clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI_NfsoCopI

Kindling

Yeah I've read about this now and I'm happy to say I'm not suffering the effects. From what I've read it results in a worsening of withdrawal symptoms during each withdrawal. I have been lucky in that my 2 day binge resulted in a much shorter withdrawal with less severe effects.

Of course I'm sure if I keep drinking then kindling will rear it's nasty little head. Definitely something to avoid. Sober is the only way forward.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveyT For This Useful Post:
doggonecarl (03-21-2013), Fandy (03-21-2013), Nonsensical (03-23-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Originally Posted by DaveyT View Post

Yeah I've read about this now and I'm happy to say I'm not suffering the effects. From what I've read it results in a worsening of withdrawal symptoms during each withdrawal. I have been lucky in that my 2 day binge resulted in a much shorter withdrawal with less severe effects.

Of course I'm sure if I keep drinking then kindling will rear it's nasty little head. Definitely something to avoid. Sober is the only way forward.
I don't want to scare you, but the effect of kindling adds up over time. If you had a shorter binge with less alcohol, then your withdrawal will be less worse that a previous longer binge with more alcohol. But in the end the tendency is that the withdrawals with be longer and more serious.

Just like you said, sober is the only way forward. And being sober is fun too 6 in the morning here, woke up, not from the shakes and with a hangover but from the alarm clock. Enjoying the sunrise with a tea. Going to pick my mother up from the airport in an hour. Who could have thought I could do those things when drinking.

Stay sober and you will see a lot of positive changes: your overall health, your mental state, relationships with others
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geralt For This Useful Post:
DaveyT (03-24-2013), Fandy (03-22-2013), Nonsensical (03-23-2013), RobbyRobot (03-22-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Having a rough day today, trying to distract myself but it's not working so I logged on here just to remind myself the benefits of not drinking.

I mean there is no good reason to drink, it's a poison, there are no benefits at all to drinking. It won't even make me feel better because after the first drink i'll feel ashamed and tomorrow when I wake up i'll feel even worse. This forum is always useful but it really has made me realise the truth about this drug.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveyT For This Useful Post:
Fandy (03-24-2013), Nonsensical (03-24-2013), RobbyRobot (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You're right about that - no good reasons to drink. Last weekend I set out to have a safe, contained drunk. Plan was: drink, get drunk, watch TV, pass out. No redeeming value in that whatsoever.

Are you into basketball at all? Have a March Madness bracket going? I'm from Ohio originally, so I am a passionate Buckeye fan.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nonsensical For This Useful Post:
DaveyT (03-24-2013), Fandy (03-24-2013), RobbyRobot (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Plan was: drink, get drunk, watch TV, pass out. No redeeming value in that whatsoever.

yes. i used to make similar plans. of course. at times. other times were non-planned routine.

in any case, what ended up spending lots of time grappling with is this: why do i make a plan that i know has no redeeming value whatsoever?
why would i "choose" to do something that gives me nothing but negatives? that is indeed truly insane!

the choices there come down to this, far as i can see: either i haven't seen or been honest enough to acknowledge the benefit i do get from it, or i am insane.

did i get benefit? sure i did: "get me out of here" is what it mostly can be boiled down to. what bemyself put a bit differently as "i couldn't stand my thoughts and feelings"(sorry if i misquote).
on the other hand, much longer was the trek i had to take through the choice-thing.
when you find yourself making a plan to do something of absolutely no redeeming value, surely there are some questions to be asked of yourself?
The Following User Says Thank You to fini For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by fini View Post
when you find yourself making a plan to do something of absolutely no redeeming value, surely there are some questions to be asked of yourself?
Now that I have a Big Plan, the only thing I ask myself is, "why are you listening to that liar?" Then I move on. As soberlicious pointed out elsewhere, all my alcohol questions are now asked and answered.

Last week I was in a different frame of mind. Apparently I had a question left at that time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nonsensical For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (03-24-2013)