SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   5 yrs sober 1 yr relapse looking for info on RR (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/286918-5-yrs-sober-1-yr-relapse-looking-info-rr.html)

T4texas 03-09-2013 03:18 PM

5 yrs sober 1 yr relapse looking for info on RR

On my second attempt to break a relapse that came after 5 years sober. Have been reading through the rational recovery site and see a lot of stuff that is similar to what I used to get and stay sober the first time. (Which I did by my self)

What they call the AV I call my whiskey monster and I used to joke that he was trying to kill me. Well jokes on me because he almost succeed twice. The first time I was shot in the neck in a robbery and I thought that like in fight club it might have killed him. Turned he is a tough SOB and came back as strong as ever when I let my guard down.

I will post all the gory details later when I am more comfortable here but for now anyone that has had success with RR or similar methods please tell me what merits it has for you. This approach worked for me once and I only started struggling hard when my social group changed back to my old party friends and my supportive friends moved away. I think it can work again especially if I follow a more developed method rather than one I came up with myself plus find support here and elsewhere.

So fire away with links or whatever else you think might help.

Thanks in advance,

T

ReadyAndAble 03-09-2013 04:12 PM

Hi, T4texas.

I just sent you a PM with a boatload of AVRT links. It's not surprising that RR seems familiar; it's based on strategies people have intuitively used since probably the dawn of drinking.

Welcome to SR. I'm sure those five years brought you a lot of wisdom; no reason you can't close this thing down once and for all this time. :)

T4texas 03-09-2013 04:22 PM

Ready,

That's the goal; NO MORE.

Thanks again,

T

trachemys 03-09-2013 05:39 PM

Scroll down the threads and find the AVRT Discussion thread. Follow the links back to the start and read all 2000+ posts.

After finding and reading every word on the RR website, I found and read every word of that discussion. Kept me up all night but dramatically changed me for the better.

Ordered the books, signed up on here.

I will never drink again, and I won't change my mind.

freshstart57 03-09-2013 05:45 PM

Welcome, T4T, glad you found us. I hope you find here what you are looking for, and looking forward to your posts. Best to you.

soberlicious 03-09-2013 06:23 PM

Hi T4T,
I would suggest reading Rational Recovery:The New Cure For Substance Addiction. Glad you are here.

T4texas 03-09-2013 06:23 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement and info everybody. Are there any other secular non 12 steps out there that anyone has experience with? I really like what I'm seeing on the RR site and the links but I want to cover all my bases and make sure I find the right system so I can improve my chances of success.

ReadyAndAble 03-09-2013 06:37 PM

We have some SMART folks here; LifeRing is another group I'm aware of. And then you'll encounter folks who relied primarily on the info and support they've received here on SR. Lots of folks who recovered before they came to SR, too. There are many paths, for sure!

trachemys 03-09-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by T4texas (Post 3854517)
Thanks for the words of encouragement and info everybody. Are there any other secular non 12 steps out there that anyone has experience with? I really like what I'm seeing on the RR site and the links but I want to cover all my bases and make sure I find the right system so I can improve my chances of success.

There's a sticky at the top of the page called Secular Web that lists several others.