Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

I need info on getting an addiction counselor specializing in non twelve step...

I need info on getting an addiction counselor specializing in non twelve step...

Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My husband and I need info on getting an addiction counselor specializing in non twelve step recovery in georgia. He is overwhelmed and feels really defeated. He has been calling off our insurance list after 6 months of sobriety (he had a IV opiate addiction and relapsed on pot). He got sober with AA but horrible issues with his sponsor breaking his trust around his 3 month mark so he ended up quitting his meetings and sponsor. Seemed to be fine, now this happened. Needless to say, he's really spooked. I have offered to help to find a counselor for him since he is putting in leg work on it as well. It's been really hard to find a counselor that doesn't say AA or the highway. Do y'all have any recommendations on how to find a non 12 step counselor? We need to find one on our insurance too... Please PM me and I can tell y'all more specifics on city and insurance if you need the specifics. We are in desperate need of advice right now. We are also wondering how treatment procedes in a non twelve step setting? I guess it depends on the program that the patient and the counselor decide on? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Did you see this sticky thread ast the top of the page?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cular-web.html

You might contact them and ask.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I could be wrong, but I think most addiction counselors are not 12-step based unless they are affiliated with a rehab or other institution. At least in the realm of psychiatry that has been my experience.

I think all therapists, however, buy into the logic of the first step: That we are powerless over control once we take that first drink or drug.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you checked out the friends and family section? They might have some advice for you in this situation. A couple questions - why are you posting this instead of your husband? Why are you calling the insurance instead of your husband? Why are you finding the therapist instead of your husband doing this?

I didn't fare too great in "full-on" AA either. So for a while I went to an addiction therapist, and while the therapist did have AA background, I simply said that I didn't like AA as my primary solution, so we talked about other things. When I wanted to talk about AA with the therapist, we did.

The thing about AA is that it's the first suggestion/solution we're always given, and since 90% of people getting sober have SOME experience with it, you'll find that most professionals in the addiction industry are going to have some ties. Recovery without AA can be done, but don't be surprised if it enters the mix at some point because the industry is so saturated with the program. It's just reality. Good luck!